Justice Scalia Has Simple Solution For Critics Of Citizens United

Take few minutes and peruse the various groups spending money on super PACs.
2012 Outside Spending, by Groups | OpenSecrets

You might notice that unions are a small part of total spending here, they are hardly even in the running.

The total spending shows 18.6 million spent against repubs, to 16.7 for. What's your point again? Dude, unions got no reason to spend much money now, you know that. Why don't you check the numbers after the election is over, then bitch about CvU. I'm thinking you guys will have spent more money than the repubs will, even with their unlimited contributions.

That didn't make sense either until I checked and found that the bulk of the money spent against republicans was spent by republicans in the primary, click the button that says "by group viewpoint" for a more accurate picture, it has money spent by conservatives at $31.2 million and by liberals at $2.8.

Liberals have no reason to spend money now, they don't have a repub candidate to smear and vilify yet. No reason for them to run negative ads yet when the repubs are doing it for them. As I said, I'm thinking before it's over the liberals will match up pretty good in the spending dept with the GOP.

Seriously, the flap over Citizens United is way overblown. The money spent in 2010 was fairly even, I don't think the big corps are going to out spend the unions. But I'm getting tired of the debate, I'm hitting the hay. Sleep well you left wing loons, LOL.

Okay, if corporations are people, unions are also people. The difference is that unions don't have near the political power that corporations have.

Okay, if corporations are people, unions are also people. The difference is that unions don't have near the political power that corporations have.

All of which is irrelevant if voters think for themselves; their failure to do so doesn’t justify government restriction of free speech, no matter how idiotic.

Support Disclosure on the Second Anniversary of Citizens United

By Sheila Krumholz

Exactly two years ago Saturday, eight out of nine U.S. Supreme Court justices resoundingly supported disclosure when it comes to money spent to influence elections. They declared that “transparency enables the electorate to make informed decisions.”

But in that same landmark decision, Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission, a smaller majority of justices also greenlighted unlimited corporate and union-funded political advertising. And two years later, we're witnessing a gusher of spending by special interest groups -- many of which are evading the very disclosure the high court said was so vital.

Support Disclosure on the Second Anniversary of Citizens United - OpenSecrets Blog | OpenSecrets

What are you suggesting? That there should be some kind of arbitrary level playing field here? The answer is NO if it means that the big money donations are buying undue access at the expense of regular working people.

So it's okay for the unions to spend hundreds of millions on dem campaigns, for which they are rewarded by Obama and the dems, but the GOP cannot get equally as much money from the big corps?

Undue access? You gotta be shitting me, you don't think the unions are getting undue access to the WH? Your credibility is taking a huge hit, man.

Unions and corporations have always been bound by the exact same rules that held corporations to about the same level of spending unions were capable of, now they can leave unions in the dust, congratulations, the oligarchs won.

Actually, since union PACS were not restiricted by McCain Feingold, you are simply wrong.

Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart are showing America just how dangerous and destructive the Citizens United Super Pac monsters really are to American democracy.

Colbert Super PAC | Making a Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow | ColbertSuperPac.com

What they are actually showing is how ridiculous the laws are, you are just so wrapped up in your delusions you miss it.

I know exactly what they're showing me. Sorry I left out the word "ridiculous"... I thought it was obvious...

Unions and corporations have always been bound by the exact same rules that held corporations to about the same level of spending unions were capable of, now they can leave unions in the dust, congratulations, the oligarchs won.

Again, what are you talking about? The spending was about even in 2010, probably will be the same this year. Obama is looking to get a billion bucks, how do you figure the unions got left in the dust?

Take few minutes and peruse the various groups spending money on super PACs.
2012 Outside Spending, by Groups | OpenSecrets

You might notice that unions are a small part of total spending here, they are hardly even in the running.

Unions have not kicked in with their spending yet.

Corporate personhood will be the downfall of what democracy we have left and this guy washing his hands of the matter does not excuse his role in the matter. We know what he enabled and we know why he did it.

Really sucks when the other side has almost as much money as you do.

Bingo, and that is why they hate it. For the first time Republicans can come close to competing in Fund Raising and the Dems Fucking Hate it.

Sorry Unions, but you only rep 20% of Americans, It's time Both Sides get to play with the Big Bucks.

I am not in a Union, But guess what I do own Stock in a couple of Cooperations. Oooo Ahhhh I am Evil, Don't let me have a voice.

Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart are showing America just how dangerous and destructive the Citizens United Super Pac monsters really are to American democracy.

Colbert Super PAC | Making a Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow | ColbertSuperPac.com

What they are actually showing is how ridiculous the laws are, you are just so wrapped up in your delusions you miss it.

I know exactly what they're showing me. Sorry I left out the word "ridiculous"... I thought it was obvious...

You think that the lack of a law preventing PACs are ridiculous, I think the laws that make them necessary are ridiculous, and Colbert managed to prove how ridiculous they are when he had to jump through so many hoops to make one.

You think that the lack of a law preventing PACs are ridiculous, I think the laws that make them necessary are ridiculous, and Colbert managed to prove how ridiculous they are when he had to jump through so many hoops to make one.

Geez, as I recall Colbert remarked that it was relatively "easy" to create a Super Pac.

I watch Colbert and Stewart for hard news - not the funny stuff...

Geez, as I recall Colbert remarked that it was relatively "easy" to create a Super Pac.

Relative to what? Getting you tonsils extracted through your asshole without anesthetic?

Stephen Colbert Super PAC Hits A Snag - ABC News

Relative to what? Getting you tonsils extracted through your asshole without anesthetic?

Small stuff. The Colbert/Stewart lawyer, Trevor Potter, will smooth it all out...

QUICK!

Somebody call the Vatican!

It's a modern miracle.

I agree with Scalia about something.

Americans, KILL YOUR TVs.

Of course, that really doesn't address the Citizens United problem entirely, but it would be the best thing for the America zietgiest if Americans stop exposing themselves to that poisonous pablum programming known as television.

Last edited:

Small stuff. The Colbert/Stewart lawyer, Trevor Potter, will smooth it all out...

He smoothed it out all right, he asked the FEC to create a media exception so Clbert could have a PAC that is a joke.

ALL outside funding should be stopped - and not just for elections. Lobbying should be stopped as well.

You want government of, by, and for the people? Then get the money out of politics. All of it, union, corporation, 1%ers, special interest groups, et cetera.

He smoothed it out all right, he asked the FEC to create a media exception so Clbert could have a PAC that is a joke.

Sooo, your point is...?

That the fact that federal laws 71 separate entities subject to different rules for 33 types of political speech is stupid. Why do we need 568 pages of regulations and thousands of pages of explanations in order to talk about politics?

Forum List

Back