Justice Ginsburg has heart procedure.

The hateful leftwing loons who have been calling on her to retire must be ecstatic.

Twoo. cf., the Far Left is now very focused on controlling people's private sex lives, just like they used to accuse the Far Right of being.

Women & heart disease research...

Age of First Menstruation Linked to Heart Disease in Women
December 15, 2014 ~ Most women begin their menstrual cycles at around the age of 13. A new study suggested that those who start menstruating a few years before or after that average appear to be at increased risk of heart disease and stroke.
The study by researchers at Oxford University in Britain analyzed data collected from 1.3 million mostly white women - ages 50 to 64. They noticed a pattern among women who had their first menstrual cycle at age ten or younger, or 17 or older. During the more than 10 years the women were followed, those two groups had a 27 percent increased risk of hospitalizations or death due to heart disease. There were 16 percent more hospitalizations or deaths from stroke among those groups, and high blood pressure led to a 20 percent increased likelihood of hospitalizations or related deaths.

Dexter Canoy , the study's lead author, is a cardiovascular epidemiologist at the University of Oxford's Cancer Epidemiology Unit within the Department of Population Health. He said there is a strong association between the age of menarche, when a woman's first period occurs, and heart disease and stroke risk. If plotted on a chart, he says it would look like the letter U, with the highest risk of cardiovascular disease among those who started menstruating at a very young age at one tip of the U, and those who began later on in their teens at the other.

32837FFE-A7A0-47FB-A0DA-CF8D9653BF88_w640_r1_s.jpg

Heart disease is world's number one killer.

Women who begin menstruating around age 13, which is typical, were seen to be at the lowest risk, according to Canoy, at the bottom of the U. "Whether or not you are lean, overweight or obese, we found the same U-shape association, even if we take into account, let's say, you are taking medications for high blood pressure, or high cholesterol or have diabetes. It seems the association is robust," he said. Canoy does see a link between menarche and weight. Obese girls tend to start menstruating at a younger age. They also often become obese adults, which is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease.

Canoy says it may be possible to lower the risk of heart disease and stroke in women by fighting obesity in children, which might also increase the age at which girls start to menstruate. "Children who are obese can develop heart disease in the long run. But one aspect that can potentially be prevented is through the mechanism that might involve early-onset of menstruation." Canoy says late-onset menstruation has historically been linked to malnutrition. An article on the link between age of menarche and cardiovascular disease is published in the American Heart Association journal Circulation.

Age of First Menstruation Linked to Heart Disease in Women

See also:

Girls Talk, Provide Guidance and Boost Self-Confidence
December 16, 2014 — Halima Adenegan returned to her alma mater, Eleanor Roosevelt High School, in 2012 — four years after she graduated — to start a mentoring program for girls there. She called it Imara Roose; Imara is Swahili for strong, and Roose is a play on the school’s name. The mentors are female college students who volunteer as big sisters and role models.
Each week, the girls in Imara Roose get together in a large group to discuss various topics that interest them — from physical fitness and healthy lifestyles to social media and self-image. Sometimes, they break into smaller groups, where a mentor in each group answers their questions. On other occasions, there are one-on-one mentoring sessions. “There are always people that are a little bit shy and more timid and not wanting to speak in front of a large group," Adenegan explained. "It’s a lot easier for them to actually ask questions that need answers and get the information that they really need that they might be more shy to ask in a large group setting.”

Teenage Challenges

Adenegan says the group is a place where girls can feel comfortable discussing common issues, personal problems and the challenges that come with being a teenager. “I think they just need someone to say I’ve been here, I’ve done that, just follow what I’m doing because I don’t want you to do the same mistakes that I did,” she said. Justice Davis, who graduated in May, took part in the program and says it helped boost her self-confidence. "One of the things that I really learned with self-confidence is like when I’m in school and like having a doubt I know I shouldn’t have," she says. "I’ve learned that everyone is different and I am my own self. I learned what I like, what I want to do. So that really helped me a lot.” Averi Millet, a current mentee, found the discussion on peer pressure especially useful. “I heard a lot of different comments on how you can positively peer-pressure someone and negatively peer-pressure someone," Millet said. "I thought it was amazing. It helped me through a lot of situations after that.”

Imara Roose's founder says helping high school seniors with their college and future plans is an important part of the group activities. “Every other Wednesday we have a college meeting," Adenegan said. "In the fall semester, we’re helping them do the college application process, picking your top five schools, resumes, all of that. The second semester it’s more focused on career development. So we have a series of panels. Each one will have a different theme. We also go on field trips. In the past we’ve gone to Baltimore Circuit Court and they had met with the judge. We also had gone to Capitol Hill and met with Congresswoman Donna Edwards.”

A Matter of trust

Last edited:

Forum List

Back