Justice Breyer's Vision of the Constitution and "America"

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
“I would have thought that your answer [to] can the government, in fact, require you to buy cell phones or buy burials that, if we propose comparable situations, if we have, for example, a uniform United States system of paying for every burial such as Medicare Burial, Medicaid Burial, Ship Burial, ERISA Burial and Emergency Burial beside the side of the road, and Congress wanted to rationalize that system, wouldn't the answer be: Yes, of course, they could" -- Justice "Impeach Me Now" Breyer

So Congress can end homelessness by requiring everyone buy a home, and can end poverty by requiring everyone to have a job and savings.

The government can make you buy cell phones and burial plots.

“I would have thought that your answer [to] can the government, in fact, require you to buy cell phones or buy burials that, if we propose comparable situations, if we have, for example, a uniform United States system of paying for every burial such as Medicare Burial, Medicaid Burial, Ship Burial, ERISA Burial and Emergency Burial beside the side of the road, and Congress wanted to rationalize that system, wouldn't the answer be: Yes, of course, they could" -- Justice "Impeach Me Now" Breyer

So Congress can end homelessness by requiring everyone buy a home, and can end poverty by requiring everyone to have a job and savings.

Isn't Justice Breyer making the point of all of the things our Federal Government picks the tab up for now? And then trying to rationalize that against Healthcare?

If the government can compel someone to buy anything and regulate inactivity there is no limit on their power.

We already have the lunch police in schools. The homeless food police in New York. The government is already exercising phenomenal control, giving them more is outrageous.

If the government can compel someone to buy anything and regulate inactivity there is no limit on their power.

We already have the lunch police in schools. The homeless food police in New York. The government is already exercising phenomenal control, giving them more is outrageous.

The problem is that it is now seen as normal or routine.

It's gonna hurt when the day comes that the money stops rolling in.

Isn't Justice Breyer making the point of all of the things our Federal Government picks the tab up for now? And then trying to rationalize that against Healthcare?

We're going to make you buy a Bible and US treasuries

And fine you for non-compliance.
icon14.gif

Thousands of IRS Agents are being recruited now to uphold it.

icon14.gif

Yup. The government is hiring and training an initiial 4000 new IRS agents just to handle the government review and bookkeeping that will be required to administer the Obamacare mandates. And that doesn't count the dozens of other bureaucracies that are already created or will be created to administer other parts of Obamacare. I wonder if that has anything to do with new jobless claims being down a bit recently?

So what if the SCOTUS opinion is that the mandate is unconstitutional but finds a loophole so that they don't strike down the entire law? Does the President and Congress back off and start over? Or do they use Executive Orders and other measures to force it on us anyway?

icon14.gif

Yup. The government is hiring and training an initiial 4000 new IRS agents just to handle the government review and bookkeeping that will be required to administer the Obamacare mandates. And that doesn't count the dozens of other bureaucracies that are already created or will be created to administer other parts of Obamacare. I wonder if that has anything to do with new jobless claims being down a bit recently?

So what if the SCOTUS opinion is that the mandate is unconstitutional but finds a loophole so that they don't strike down the entire law? Does the President and Congress back off and start over? Or do they use Executive Orders and other measures to force it on us anyway?

Government getting larger...Private sector suffering...by design.

What happens to the 4,000 new IRS agents with nothing to do?
Pink slips after the Congress is purged and cuts to gubmint start happening....slowly...

And then of course they will be eligible for a couple of years of unemployment insurance unless the government figures something else for them to do. Which, in an election year, they will probably do to ensure that they vote the right way.

The ONLY place the Obama administration is cutting jobs is in the Defense Dept. (shades of Jimmy Carter) while everything else is expanding. The next President, just as Reagan was, will likely be faced with a decimated and weakened military that will need to be resupplied and reinforced and the additional costs necessary to do that will be criticized again as 'excessive defense spending.'

What happens to the 4,000 new IRS agents with nothing to do?
Pink slips after the Congress is purged and cuts to gubmint start happening....slowly...

And then of course they will be eligible for a couple of years of unemployment insurance unless the government figures something else for them to do. Which, in an election year, they will probably do to ensure that they vote the right way.

The ONLY place the Obama administration is cutting jobs is in the Defense Dept. (shades of Jimmy Carter) while everything else is expanding. The next President, just as Reagan was, will likely be faced with a decimated and weakened military that will need to be resupplied and reinforced and the additional costs necessary to do that will be criticized again as 'excessive defense spending.'

I was part of that 'decimated military' under Carter.

History repeats...

I was part of that 'decimated military' under Carter.

History repeats...

Me too. Carter and Clinton.

Isn't Justice Breyer asking a question (supposedly of an attorney arguing a case) and then answering it for him?

Sort of like, "Have you stopped beating your wife yet? Yes, of course, you have".

It doesn't seem to me that Justice Breyer is actually saying that the government can force you to buy a burial plot if it so desires.

Context would help!

Then again, it seems he is telling the attorney that the attorney is an idiot if he thinks the government can compel Joe Citizen to purchase Health Ins..., er burial plots.

Context would help! ;)

Immie

Don't stop with Breyer....any Justice who cannot uphold the idea that the United States Constitution is the, singular, law of the land should be removed from the bench.

The same for any just who seeks to use his personal views in place of the language of the Constitution.

Forum List

Back