Justice Alito won't be Obama's whipping boy at next SOTU

Revere

Rookie
Jan 23, 2010
Watching you in my profile page
Good for him. Maybe the whole SCOTUS will follow suit and not enable Obama to take the occasion to shred the Constitutional separation of powers.

Supreme Court Justice Alito Plans to Skip Next State of Union Address - FoxNews.com

When Supreme Court justices enter the House of Representatives in their black robes for the president's next State of the Union address, Samuel Alito does not plan to be among them.

The justice said the annual speech to Congress has become very political and awkward for the justices, who he says are expected to sit "like the proverbial potted plant."

Of course, Alito did not remain impassive at the most recent State of the Union speech by President Barack Obama. He reacted to Obama's unusual rebuke of the court for its decision in a campaign finance case by shaking his head and mouthing the words "not true."

Am I the only one who thinks it stupid for every politician in the Federal government to be standing in same room once a year anyway? I mean the security is probably through the roof, but still. seems kind of silly to me.

Am I the only one who thinks it stupid for every politician in the Federal government to be standing in same room once a year anyway? I mean the security is probably through the roof, but still. seems kind of silly to me.

Excellent point. If the Prez and the Veep and all of the House and Senate, the SCOTUS, Joint Chiefs and the Cabinet were all wiped out, who would ascend to the Presidency?

Who would receive the bribes and the pay offs? Who would squander our tax dollars?

There is allot of important work that inexperience just cannot accomplish.

We citizens can't just lie to ourselves, can we?

Wasn't it one of Tom Clancy's books that had a terrorist missile attack on Capital Hill during a State of the Union Address? I believe it was "Clear and Present Danger", but can't be sure.

I agree with you, it seems like a foolish thing to do.

However, in response to the OP, I think Justice Alito will be the President's whipping boy this time around. It is easier for the President to bully people when he doesn't have to look them in the eye while he is doing it.

Immie

Wasn't it one of Tom Clancy's books that had a terrorist missile attack on Capital Hill during a State of the Union Address? I believe it was "Clear and Present Danger", but can't be sure.

I agree with you, it seems like a foolish thing to do.

However, in response to the OP, I think Justice Alito will be the President's whipping boy this time around. It is easier for the President to bully people when he doesn't have to look them in the eye while he is doing it.

Immie

It was. Great book. Love TC!

Why can't terrorists have one day a year to take a shot at them?

IIRC, most of the cabinet is not there, including SecDef.

After president speaker of the house and president pro tem of the senate, it is cabinet officers in order of seniority of cabinet office,

the SS forbids that. You will find that key people in the line of succession are not there.

Excellent point. If the Prez and the Veep and all of the House and Senate, the SCOTUS, Joint Chiefs and the Cabinet were all wiped out, who would ascend to the Presidency?

The next person on the Very long official line of succession.

Maybe the whole SCOTUS will follow suit and not enable Obama to take the occasion to shred the Constitutional separation of powers.

"But the great security against a gradual concentration of the several powers in the same department, consists in giving to those who administer each department the necessary constitutional means and personal motives to resist encroachments of the others. The provision for defense must in this, as in all other cases, be made commensurate to the danger of attack. Ambition must be made to counteract ambition. The interest of the man must be connected with the constitutional rights of the place. It may be a reflection on human nature, that such devices should be necessary to control the abuses of government. "

If he doesn't use his platform to bust their balls for the stupid shit they do, he's abrogating his responsibility. Ditto for them if they were to choose to fill the pages of SCOTUS decisions with a rubber stamp of an overly expansive theory of the executive branch. This is supposed to be a pissing match.

Maybe the whole SCOTUS will follow suit and not enable Obama to take the occasion to shred the Constitutional separation of powers.

"But the great security against a gradual concentration of the several powers in the same department, consists in giving to those who administer each department the necessary constitutional means and personal motives to resist encroachments of the others. The provision for defense must in this, as in all other cases, be made commensurate to the danger of attack. Ambition must be made to counteract ambition. The interest of the man must be connected with the constitutional rights of the place. It may be a reflection on human nature, that such devices should be necessary to control the abuses of government. "

If he doesn't use his platform to bust their balls for the stupid shit they do, he's abrogating his responsibility. Ditto for them if they were to choose to fill the pages of SCOTUS decisions with a rubber stamp of an overly expansive theory of the executive branch. This is supposed to be a pissing match.

Yep and shaking his head and mouthing the words untrue. Was the same thing. His duty if he felt the President was indeed being dishonest.

Good for him. Maybe the whole SCOTUS will follow suit and not enable Obama to take the occasion to shred the Constitutional separation of powers.

Supreme Court Justice Alito Plans to Skip Next State of Union Address - FoxNews.com

When Supreme Court justices enter the House of Representatives in their black robes for the president's next State of the Union address, Samuel Alito does not plan to be among them.

The justice said the annual speech to Congress has become very political and awkward for the justices, who he says are expected to sit "like the proverbial potted plant."

Of course, Alito did not remain impassive at the most recent State of the Union speech by President Barack Obama. He reacted to Obama's unusual rebuke of the court for its decision in a campaign finance case by shaking his head and mouthing the words "not true."

Good for Alito. They there and complain about every little negative thing said and expect everyone else just to sit back and take it. :eusa_hand:

Grayson is complaing about the "negative" ads the GOP is running ( and says his children should not have to see such on TV) but could care less that he called his opponet a member of the Taliban. The double standards are amazing IMO.

Alito should not be expected to have super human powers which means that he can't react while he is being smeared in from of millions.

Forum List

Back