Just words?

Teri B.

Feb 15, 2008
What is the value of words?

Sen. Barack Obama defended the value of words recently with a "line" given to him by Gov. Deval Patrick: “Don’t tell me words don’t matter. ‘I have a dream’—just words? ‘We the people hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal’—just words? ‘We have nothing to fear but fear itself’—just words? Just speeches?”

Sen. Obama often quotes great men, giants of humanity like Martin Luther King, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, men like our nation's founding fathers. Were their words, just words? Oh no, not hardly, these are the words of men, who risked their very lives for the ideals and principles their words represented. Men who faced down tyranny and hatred, faced down muskets and Japanese destroyers in the horror of bloody war and battle, faced down firehoses and billy clubs, with the courage and conviction to not only speak those words but heroically defend the principles they espoused, principles such as freedom and equality. Their words have value and meaning and resonance because of who they were, what they'd risked, what they'd sacrificed, what they'd achieved, and what they fought for. No those men, their words weren't merely eloquent and inspiring. They weren't merely words. Sen. Obama is correct about that. Those men's words were the embodiment of all that is fine and noble in the human species. Their words are as heavy and as solid the as freedom they represented.

When John F. Kennedy wrote Profiles In Courage, it wasn't fine merely because of the eloquence of the words, but because of the valor and sacrifices he'd made on behalf of the ideas his words embodied. When Dr. King made speeches, those speeches were anchored with the mighty weight of unflinching courage, in bold defiance of oppression and prejudice. Just putting voice to those words put him in mortal jeapordy, as did the founding fathers' words.

These men's words Sen. Obama quotes weren't vague or manipulative or self-serving or hollow, and quoting the words of great men, doesn't make one great, or right, or noble, or worthy by association. Those things must be earned, as they earned them.

So yes, words matter, but not merely the words themselves, but the men who speak them matter just as much. Perhaps one day Sen. Obama's words will have earned that stature, but not yet.

By Teri B.

JFK, and MLK spoke from their hearts, .......Obama doesn't.

Anyone can speak the words of another person, but can they speak for themself?

Only thing I hear coming out of his mouth is, "CHANGE",...what, and how is he going to change anything?

Ignorance? ....be nice, I only stated some facts.

Ignorance is defined by thinking falsehoods are facts...

Ok, you got that out of the way, now can you please explain what Obama wants to do that makes you like him? Even looking at his site I find it is flowery with little substance.

For example, he wants free or affordable health care for every American, but then he wants more even more affordable health care for the elderly,....how is he going to do that?

Ok, you got that out of the way, now can you please explain what Obama wants to do that makes you like him? Even looking at his site I find it is flowery with little substance.

For example, he wants free or affordable health care for every American, but then he wants more even more affordable health care for the elderly,....how is he going to do that?

I can't teach a blind dog to see.

My main problem with Obama is all this ridiculous hype. People act like they got religion or something, but it's all just an illusion. I don't want a president cause he'd make a great prom king, I want the biggest geek, the smartest one in the room, the one who knows how to RUN THE COUNTRY for Pete's sake. It's baffling. I guess I was asleep when they were handing out the Koolaid, cause I'm completely turned off by it. If he'd focus on the issues instead of being Mr. Cool, I'd respect him more.

But I'll support him if he gets the nomination, cause McCain lost my respect when he signed on to the torture bill in 2006 and became Bush's lap dog. I used to admire him.

I know I am speaking to an Obama backer when they cannot possibly explain what Obama wants and HOW HE IS GOING TO DO IT!

I can't wait for the first national debate between Obama and McCain if Obama is nominated. Obama has all these plans, and silly programs but who is going to pay for them? (you and I,..the WORKING taxpayers!) If this means free for the lazy and unemployed then I might as well get on and ride the "Freeloader Wagon Train" of Obama's and take advantage of the national welfare program!

I would just love to hear what, and how Obama is going to make a change from an Obama backer,...can I make it any more clear?

I know I am speaking to an Obama backer when they cannot possibly explain what Obama wants and HOW HE IS GOING TO DO IT!

I can't wait for the first national debate between Obama and McCain if Obama is nominated. Obama has all these plans, and silly programs but who is going to pay for them? (you and I,..the WORKING taxpayers!) If this means free for the lazy and unemployed then I might as well get on and ride the "Freeloader Wagon Train" of Obama's and take advantage of the national welfare program!

I would just love to hear what, and how Obama is going to make a change from an Obama backer,...can I make it any more clear?

I think his policy proposals are decent - they copied them from Edwards and Clinton, and he's actually starting to learn what they are. If he wins, the key is WHO he hires to work for him and advise him. If he does that well, he'll be fine. I "hope."

My main problem with Obama is all this ridiculous hype. People act like they got religion or something, but it's all just an illusion. I don't want a president cause he'd make a great prom king, I want the biggest geek, the smartest one in the room, the one who knows how to RUN THE COUNTRY for Pete's sake. It's baffling. I guess I was asleep when they were handing out the Koolaid, cause I'm completely turned off by it. If he'd focus on the issues instead of being Mr. Cool, I'd respect him more.

But I'll support him if he gets the nomination, cause McCain lost my respect when he signed on to the torture bill in 2006 and became Bush's lap dog. I used to admire him.

Clinton would have had the same hype. The hype is mostly because he's seen as an opportunity for the youth to have an impact in politics and go down in history as being the 1st to elect a minority president. The fact that he's running against the typical old while male is why he's getting so much attention.

Obama actually IS the smartest one in the room. He has a solid record of academic achievements. He was smart enough to vote against the war, when clinton and mccain voted for it. Being a master of rhetoric is a sign of intelligence. Kennedy, MLK, Lincoln, Jefferson, and Washington were all great speakers. Being a great communicator generally leads to great leadership skills. If you cannot communicate what you want people to do, then they will not be willing to do it. Bush gets a lot of opposition because he simply cannot put his thoughts into words.

Clinton would have had the same hype. The hype is mostly because he's seen as an opportunity for the youth to have an impact in politics and go down in history as being the 1st to elect a minority president. The fact that he's running against the typical old while male is why he's getting so much attention.

Obama actually IS the smartest one in the room. He has a solid record of academic achievements. He was smart enough to vote against the war, when clinton and mccain voted for it. Being a master of rhetoric is a sign of intelligence. Kennedy, MLK, Lincoln, Jefferson, and Washington were all great speakers. Being a great communicator generally leads to great leadership skills. If you cannot communicate what you want people to do, then they will not be willing to do it. Bush gets a lot of opposition because he simply cannot put his thoughts into words.

Obama is an educated man but I just don't see any substance. Just catchphrases, buzzwords that make people swoon.

I'm hearing that from a lot of conservatives. I guess your view of obama depends on what news network you get your soundbytes from.

I don't listen to the pundits or watch television. Too convoluted with biased viewpoints. I dig most online. Like I said, Obama is a smart guy but just not suited to lead. Neither is Clinton or McCain for that matter. I really do fear for the future of this country though.

I don't listen to the pundits or watch television. Too convoluted with biased viewpoints. I dig most online. Like I said, Obama is a smart guy but just not suited to lead. Neither is Clinton or McCain for that matter. I really do fear for the future of this country though.

Why is obama not suited to lead? If you're going to give the answer i think then you must forget all about reagan and b clinton, who were both pretty good leaders.

Given the nature of the posts in this thread it got me thinking. Maybe electing - even with the electoral college process - the president is a bad idea now. Perhaps the president should be appointed after a proper selection process. I mean if people are worried that a very good orator is going to get the job then why not scrap the whole election idea and do what any corporation does when it wants a new ceo? That way you get the best person for the job and not just someone who can speak well, raise lots of money and who is a very good populist.

Given the nature of the posts in this thread it got me thinking. Maybe electing - even with the electoral college process - the president is a bad idea now. Perhaps the president should be appointed after a proper selection process. I mean if people are worried that a very good orator is going to get the job then why not scrap the whole election idea and do what any corporation does when it wants a new ceo? That way you get the best person for the job and not just someone who can speak well, raise lots of money and who is a very good populist.

You mean when companies are looking for new CEO's they don't just look for the person who can make the most money, communicate well, and be well liked by the employees? Damn. Please tell me what companies you invest in, so I can avoid them. :(

Forum List

Back