Just...whoa

Oscar Wao

Victory is Mine
Dec 15, 2008
Munster, IN
And people wonder why some of us advocate abolishing the FDA, EPA, DOE, and a whole host of other alphabet soups...

FDA Moves Closer to Approval of Salmon Frankenfish

NaturalNews) The Food and Drug Administration appears to be close to approving the first genetically engineered animal for human consumption: salmon with cross species genes and an "always on" hormone switch that enable them to grow twice as fast. A large number of critics voiced concerns about the safety of bio-engineered salmon for consumers as well as wild salmon and about the concern that approval will open the floodgates to a tide of other engineered animals.

52a.jpg

Well, it is inevitable that we are going to have to produce food more effectively and efficiently and in larger quantities as the world populations passes 6 billion and 7 billion isn't that far away.

But I'm with you. This is creepy. I don't like the sound of it. I don't like growth hormones in my beef or antibiotics in my chicken, and I don't want to eat anything grown in a test tube or engineered to grow fastter than Mother Nature intended.

Let's back up and think about this indeed.

Haha, Art, I'm as far away from being a conspiracy nut as possible, but the whole GM food issue DOES raise some questions.

Exactly, Art.

Some may say that we don't know if it's harmful.

However...

We don't know if it's harmLESS, either.

DNA of different animals in your basic apples, oranges, carrots, etc....seems messed up to me

Well the introduction of animal products into the diet of animals created to eat only vegetation or products made from vegetation gave us such wonderful things as Mad Cow disease. I am quite leery about altering the genetics of the fruit and vegetables intended to be human or animal food in such unnatural ways.

You want they should try that again to find out if it is still harmful?

We have a serious threat of our fishing industry from asain carp here. It makes me nervous to think that scientists are engineering fish that might ease other species out of the way. Yanno, some bright light once thought it was a great idea to introduce kudzu to the south for erosion control...a plant that can cover a small car in one night.

They aren't always right and when they get it wrong, it can be impossible to undo the damage.

And people wonder why some of us advocate abolishing the FDA, EPA, DOE, and a whole host of other alphabet soups...

FDA Moves Closer to Approval of Salmon Frankenfish

NaturalNews) The Food and Drug Administration appears to be close to approving the first genetically engineered animal for human consumption: salmon with cross species genes and an "always on" hormone switch that enable them to grow twice as fast. A large number of critics voiced concerns about the safety of bio-engineered salmon for consumers as well as wild salmon and about the concern that approval will open the floodgates to a tide of other engineered animals.
If there were no FDA, you would never know if a food is being genetically engineered. The company would just start producing it. Also there would be no labeling requirement, no food inspections, no requirements for recalls, no food safety standards, pharmaceuticals could be brought to market without testing, your local drug store could sell patten medicine to cure every form of cancer, etc....

This is one dumb idea. Abolishing the FDA would make about as much sense as abolishing the FAA.

Maybe we can feed it to a bunch of chimps for a while first? If they all grow third eyes, have their bones disappear, and die a slow and agonizing death, we know something's wrong.

If they do alright, we slap a label on it and let the market decide whether this stuff catches on. 5 and 10 years down the line, we check in to see whether there are any unforeseen long-term effects.

It is not only profit here, there is the fact that we may be approaching critical mass. At some point our ability to feed our people will be far outstripped by the number of people on the planet. This is simply one more step in the ladder - Farming/Husbandry, irrigation, crop rotation, ect.

We have a serious threat of our fishing industry from asain carp here. It makes me nervous to think that scientists are engineering fish that might ease other species out of the way. Yanno, some bright light once thought it was a great idea to introduce kudzu to the south for erosion control...a plant that can cover a small car in one night.

They aren't always right and when they get it wrong, it can be impossible to undo the damage.

Hold your tongue-----are you trying to tell me that science can't bail us out of the human dilema?

Forum List

Back