Just what is it that you think term limits will accomplish?

Discussion in 'Congress' started by PredFan, Oct 19, 2016.

1. rightwinger

rightwinger Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58,564
    If voters think a candidate has served long enough....let them vote them out
    If a representative is still doing a good job after 30 years, why shouldn't voters be allowed to elect him again

I live in NJ where we had Frank Lautenberg as Senator for five terms. In his last two terms, I thought he was losing his edge and voted against him. Others reelected him.

That is the way the system should work....let the voters decide

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,490
    In principle I agree.

However, with the stranglehold the two major parties have over American politics, the amount of money it takes to campaign for election, the long term relationships built by lobbyists with politicians, and the number of people who seem content to simply pull the lever with the proper party letter next to it, I think the reality is that term limits might serve a useful function.

3. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,490
    Just as some have been complaining that it takes time to learn to be a Congressperson, I think it takes time to build the kinds of relationships with other politicians, lobbyists, and special interest groups that make up a good portion of the misuses of power. Term limits would hopefully mitigate that.

4. PredFan

PredFan Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,632
    Term limits will fix none of the problems you just mentioned, so what useful function would it serve?

5. rightwinger

rightwinger Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58,564
    I think term limits will only make it worse

If you are a Senator or Congressman in your last term you are looking for a new career. Politically, you are a lame duck. You are more likely to engage lobbyists who will help you to get a lucrative position once you leave.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. PredFan

PredFan Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,632
    As someone here already pointed out, changing them frequently will do the opposite because the new guys will depend a lot more on the lobbyists and special interest groups more because they don't know the ropes yet. The new guys could also be more susceptible to influence because they are rookies and don't know the game.

7. Flopper

Flopper Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,459
    The most powerful members of congress are committee heads and committee members in certain committees and this is where the greatest abuse of power occurs. These are the people that determine whether legislation lives or dies. Bills are killed and rewritten in committees. Investigative committees make and break careers of those being investigated. Although rules differ between the House and Senate, membership and leadership in these committees are determined mostly by seniority. Having newer less experienced members running these committees will not lessen their power and influence nor misuse of that power. In fact in may actual increase the misuse of power.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Flopper

Flopper Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,459
    It was Benjamin Franklin who summed up the best case for term limits more than two centuries ago: β€œIn free governments, the rulers are the servants, and the people their superiors . . . . For the former to return among the latter does not degrade, but promote them.”

In other words, when politicians know they must return to ordinary society and live under the laws passed while they were in government, at least some of them will think more carefully about the long-term effects of the programs they support. Their end-all will not be re-election, because that option will not be available.

The notion of citizen-legislator is a popular idea among the public. However, is it really practical today? I say no because the size of government and complexity is such that it's care and management is well beyond the capabilities of the novice. If government were smaller and with less power, yes it would work but it isn't and likely never will be.
    Why Term Limits? | Lawrence W. Reed

9. the_human_being

the_human_being Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,000
    I am all in favor of term limits. I feel rather strongly that Hillary should not be inconvenienced by a prison term exceeding twenty-five years and one day.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 2