Just Watched the DVD Movie, "Ray"(Ray Charles).

Eightball

Oct 13, 2004
All I can say, is, "great movie!". :thup:

Jaimee Fox, did an incredible job, playing Ray Charles. :thup:

I had no idea that Ray Charles had such a hard life as a child. Being blind at seven years old, is hard enough, but carrying the guilt of his dead baby brother all those years besides was really heart wrenching.

Charle's mother was so very poor, and did share cropping. Even at that, she painfully inacted Tough Love towards R.C. knowing that it was his only hope of survival. It just goes to show that economics doesn't make parents good or bad, it's whats in a person to start with. Seems also that religious faith had a lot to do with guiding R.C. safely through all his mis-adventures and mistakes.

Jaimee Fox really impressed me, as I found out in the bonus material of the DVD, that he was a very astute pianist himself.

I was really moved by the way Ray's wife hung in there through all the extra-marital infidelity, and heroine addiction too.

I wish there were more movies like this one out there. I think our young folks need them more than ever. Seems like most of the one's that are venerated are Rock stars that O.D.'d at a young age......ala.....Joplin, Hendricks, Curbane(mispelled?)......etc.

Anyway, what did you think of the movie?

It's a shame, isn't it - that an artist of this caliber only gets the appreciation he deserves after he's gone? Maybe, when he was in our midst, we took him for granted. Although Ray scoffed at the notion that he was a genius, I don't know of anyone who merits the term more. I gratefully count him as one of my major musical influences (for all the good or bad THAT might entail - LOL).

Nice review - I'll be sure and see the flick!

Forum List

Back