just watch this video

blu

Sep 21, 2009
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h_pp8CHEQ0]YouTube - Mike Rowe Speaks To Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee [05-11-11][/ame]

This is something all of us can agree on. When I was in high school thirty some years ago, there were vocational programs for students to get into. Those who took advantage of those programs were usually the ones who would never have made it in college or had no interest in college. Today, other than going to college, there is no effective means to guide students into the trades, and going to college isn't going to help anyone if they are looking to get into the trades.

This brings us to another subject that is very much in line with the same issue. Many good paying jobs do not require a four year degree. While employers may require those applying to have a degree, their degrees have nothing to do with the job they will perform. This includes many fields from the trades to medical careers. We really need to look at our educational system so that we can better prepare people to join the workforce. While a college degree is necessary and beneficial for many positions, many people could be trained for jobs through trade type schools at a much lower cost. It would save money for everyone, and it would better prepare people going into the workforce.

We quit honoring and respecting skilled laborers at the same time that the left wing took over our schools. The sneering attitude towards people who work for a living as opposed to those who think for a living has done nothing but harm us.

But that's not to say that people are noble just because they are laborers. That's just as stupid. Also idiotic is to think it's a good idea to limit education to produce a larger force of laborers. I don't mind vocational programs and vocational schools...but I am not up for replacing the humanities with wood shop. Particularly since our nation doesn't let us access our resources (including wood).

couldn't agree with the man more

look around you

everything you see , touch, drive, use had some level of skilled labor involved....

I pay the guy who who shows up with a massive machine to mow my field at a higher hourly rate than I pay myself.

I tried reading to the grass in my field, but the damn stuff keeps growing anyway.

We quit honoring and respecting skilled laborers at the same time that the left wing took over our schools. The sneering attitude towards people who work for a living as opposed to those who think for a living has done nothing but harm us.

But that's not to say that people are noble just because they are laborers. That's just as stupid. Also idiotic is to think it's a good idea to limit education to produce a larger force of laborers. I don't mind vocational programs and vocational schools...but I am not up for replacing the humanities with wood shop. Particularly since our nation doesn't let us access our resources (including wood).

There's so much bullshit in AllieBaba's post I don't know where to begin so I'm just going to call attention to it and then ignore it.

As a skilled, Union Electrician on the generating side for 30 years I couldn't agree more with the video. The work I do is something that few want to do. You'd be amazed at all of the work that takes place so you can turn on a light at the flick of a switch.

I will never get back all of my kid's birthdays, recitals, holidays, etc. that I have missed over the years due to swing shift in a 24/7/365 operation. Now I'm missing the same things with my grandchildren.The work is hard, hot (often in temps exceeding 150 degrees) dirty and dangerous.

But no matter how hard the work has been and how much I have missed I am proud of what I have done over the years. As was pointed out in the video there is going is going to be an incredible turnover over the next ten years as people like myself go into a well deserved retirement (55 for me). And I have been extremely blessed with great pay and generous benefits to perform my job that has also benefitted the company I work for and made them extremely profitable.

So for the skilled trades people out there that have sacrificed much over the years.....THIS BUD'S FOR YOU!! :beer:

There's so much bullshit in AllieBaba's post I don't know where to begin so I'm just going to call attention to it and then ignore it.

As a skilled, Union Electrician on the generating side for 30 years I couldn't agree more with the video. The work I do is something that few want to do. You'd be amazed at all of the work that takes place so you can turn on a light at the flick of a switch.

I will never get back all of my kid's birthdays, recitals, holidays, etc. that I have missed over the years due to swing shift in a 24/7/365 operation. Now I'm missing the same things with my grandchildren.The work is hard, hot (often in temps exceeding 150 degrees) dirty and dangerous.

But no matter how hard the work has been and how much I have missed I am proud of what I have done over the years. As was pointed out in the video there is going is going to be an incredible turnover over the next ten years as people like myself go into a well deserved retirement (55 for me). And I have been extremely blessed with great pay and generous benefits to perform my job that has also benefitted the company I work for and made them extremely profitable.

So for the skilled trades people out there that have sacrificed much over the years.....THIS BUD'S FOR YOU!! :beer:

"This is bullshit but I'm too lazy or stupid to define how"

What a loser.

What a loser.

Why doesn't surprise me that I have to draw you a picture? :eusa_whistle: I was referring to your first two sentences.

But no never mind. Like the "birthers" I just let you dig your own hole and wallow in it. :dig:

Lol. Yes, you're an idiot. You can't make an argument by refusing to state it, loser. So while maybe in your head I'm verifying something, out here on the board, there's nothing to verify since you didn't make any sort of statement.

Other than, "You're WRONG"

I suspect that any objection you have to my post is likewise based entirely upon your own internal imaginings of what you think I mean, not at all on what I said.
And that is why you can't name what you disagree with.
Typical.

I call horseshit. We need help but I turn away 5- 10 people a day because they lack the skills to do the job. I not only want someone physically able to do the job I also want someone who has the brains to do the job in an cost effective timely manner.

big deal , we have labor-day to acknowledge workers ,

no ones going to change attitudes on repairmen , we hope they do the job and at what we agree on ,

to much touchy feelly .

lots of hard dirty work out their but we wont do them and hate immigrant that will .

unions use to encourage us to see where the product was made and please buy American .

but what is American made now ?

joe the plumber was a scab .

I own a house , and repairs that take experts like electrical , you have to be stupid to try , unless you like sniffing for overheated wires . lots of the jobs his grandpas did would be illegal in a city , inspectors wont pass a do it your self plumbing or electric , and for good reason .
his speech is so much like America the good old days when you did it your self .

Last edited:

big deal , we have labor-day to acknowledge workers ,

no ones going to change attitudes on repairmen , we hope they do the job and at what we agree on ,

to much touchy feelly .

lots of hard dirty work out their but we wont do them and hate immigrant that will .

unions use to encourage us to see where the product was made and please buy American .

but what is American made now ?

joe the plumber was a scab .

I own a house , and repairs that take experts like electrical , you have to be stupid to try , unless you like sniffing for overheated wires . lots of the jobs his grandpas did would be illegal in a city , inspectors wont pass a do it your self plumbing or electric , and for good reason .
his speech is so much like America the good old days when you did it your self .

Really? next time you need skilled labor call me we'll talk.

OMG OMG ! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Snookie got a boob job and is dating Justin Bieber !!
Don't forget murka. Okrahs final episode is coming and THERE'S GOING TO BE SURPRIZES !

I'll be back in a minute. Important text message !

OMG OMG ! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Snookie got a boob job and is dating Justin Bieber !!
Don't forget murka. Okrahs final episode is coming and THERE'S GOING TO BE SURPRIZES !

I'll be back in a minute. Important text message !

There you have it America is the land of opportunity. Where else could a women who grew up poor become the richest woman in America and leave over hal of America holding their breath waiting for her big announcement?:lol: Gee I love the American dream.

What a loser.

Who are you quoting, Allie?

Forum List

Back