Just talked to my sister in Nevada.

$279 per credit hour at University of Maine

BA/BS (124 hours) x $279 = $34,596 tuition. (annual tuition $8,649)

The above, does not include the cost of room and board (shall we say $12,000 a year? good luck living that cheaply, but lets be VERY conservative) nor books, nor student fees, not transportation, health care etc.

So I think it reasonable to assume that the cost of going to school and living expenses going to school at Univ Maine at Orno is somewhere in the neighborhood of

8,649 (tuition)
1,000 (books and incidental)
12,000 (living expenses minimum)
$21,649

FYI the median workers' salary in the USA is about $21,000 a year

The medan income of families in Maine is $45,734.

My son is trying to work his way through college right now.

He makes $12.50 an hour working 6 days a week, (2 AM to 8AM) but doesn't qualify as a FULL TIME employee, therefore he does not have health insurance, dental insurance, sick leave, paid vacation, retirement bennies, or any consideration normally associated with working a full time job.

His economy?

1,872 hours labor a year @ $12.50 = $23,400 PRETAX income.

The community college he will attending costs $6,000 TUITION (only) per year. This does not include anything but tuition., We all know college costs a bit more than just thye tuition.

The kid's rent in a West Seattle apartment? About $800 a month.

Do the math.

The days of working your way through school on a modest salary are pretty much over.

I did it, but I did it 40 years ago by working full time PLUS having veterans benefits. And I still had to borrow money (at 7%) to pay both tuition and living expenses.

Holy cow, 62 years old and they can't pay for their own wanting to go back to college.

something wrong with that picture.

So that makes it all the fault of Republicans. how dumb.

Last edited:
She wants to go to Churchill College. She's 62 and retired. Many seniors want to go back to school and learn something new so they can get a job the are physically able to handle.

The college dropped it's senior discount this year. That means the cost just increased by a factor of "5". I'm going to pay for her college.

You see, government funding for the college was slashed. Republicans don't understand the benefits of education. Without an educated population, without research, innovation or technology, what would we be? What is the plan for the country without those things?

Give rich people tax cuts only goes so far. Then what?

Republicans? Sorry Dickbrain - OBAMA is in charge. Furthermore - you're referencing a college in Nevada - give that peckerhead Harry Reid (DEM) a call.

Idiot...

Holy cow, 62 years old and they can't pay for their own wanting to go back to college.

something wrong with that picture.

So that makes it all the fault of Republicans. how dumb.

I was thinking the same thing. That 62-year-old idiot doesn't have enough "banked" by now? Christ, when I hit 62, I hope to be a millionaire - not some leech who relies on an idiot 24/7 internet poster (i.e.. RDean) to finance tuition. Hell, RDean is on foodstamps - who in the hell is he going to support?

She wants to go to Churchill College. She's 62 and retired. Many seniors want to go back to school and learn something new so they can get a job the are physically able to handle.

The college dropped it's senior discount this year. That means the cost just increased by a factor of "5". I'm going to pay for her college.

You see, government funding for the college was slashed. Republicans don't understand the benefits of education. Without an educated population, without research, innovation or technology, what would we be? What is the plan for the country without those things?

With an educated populous the repugnicanT party would not exist. Neither would house trai....I mean mobile homes, nor Walmart.

It's kinda sad to see that even older retired Liberals whine when they can't use other peoples money for something they should be able to pay for themselves.

If the Dems would stop spending us into oblivion with your half assed special interests and vote buying, maybe we'd have some money left.

Fact remains, no one is forcing anyone to go to college, nor is anyone stopping anyone going. You just have to pay for yourselves.... get used to it... gonna be happening a lot more often.

Get your fucking hand out of the cookie jar.

Not everyone needs to go to college. Not everyone should go to college. Not everyone CAN go to college. There are barriers; like actual costs, opportunity costs (something liberals have no clue about), and most importantly-intelligence.

Half of our population has a 2 digit IQ. Thus an inability to even complete college courses. They would better benefit from a trade school or learning a valuable (i.e. someone wants to PAY them to do that) skill.

Question for you? Is college the only place you can learn something?

Where is Churchill College? I found this one, but cannot find another.

http://www.chu.cam.ac.uk/

I'm not sure how Bush got a college in another country to drop its senior discount, but color me impressed.

Last edited:

I can't find a Churchill College in the United States.

TIC - here's an idea for your sister, if republicans win in 2012 we may all be considering prison as the real America, the place where the American dream still stands tall. ;)

"Man robs bank so he can go to jail and get health care."

Listen don't knock him, soon Americans will be committing crime to get an education, eat, and have a roof over their head. In the Great Depression they just didn't have these nice prison facilitates, anyone who thinks America hasn't progressed is dead wrong. Prisons are nice now compared to a republican world, and republicans love them as privatization will mean more cash in their coffers. The elderly are actually banning together into gangs and hoping for one of those nice white collar prisons when Ryan and cohorts screw them on Medicare and Social Security. Good idea, prison, don't you think? While it is rather odd that prisoners do better than working Americans don't knock it as one day you may need it. Prisons may just become the new retirement facilities, we'll need legislation for 55 and older co-ed prisons. And then when welfare is finally abolished, no one will complain about a solid roof over their head and a nice fence to protect the little they have left in life. Imagine a place where you get free health care, free food, and all your friends are there too. A new age will have dawned. 'Mommy, I wanna grow up to be a prisoner.' 'That's nice Joanie now finish your bread and water.' 'Mommy prison food is better, I just hope I can get there someday?'

Man robs bank so he can go to jail and get health care | The Raw Story

TIC - here's an idea for your sister, if republicans win in 2012 we may all be considering prison as the real America, the place where the American dream still stands tall. ;)

Listen don't knock him, soon Americans will be committing crime to get an education, eat, and have a roof over their head. In the Great Depression they just didn't have these nice prison facilitates, anyone who thinks America hasn't progressed is dead wrong. Prisons are nice now compared to a republican world, and republicans love them as privatization will mean more cash in their coffers. The elderly are actually banning together into gangs and hoping for one of those nice white collar prisons when Ryan and cohorts screw them on Medicare and Social Security. Good idea, prison, don't you think? While it is rather odd that prisoners do better than working Americans don't knock it as one day you may need it. Prisons may just become the new retirement facilities, we'll need legislation for 55 and older co-ed prisons. And then when welfare is finally abolished, no one will complain about a solid roof over their head and a nice fence to protect the little they have left in life. Imagine a place where you get free health care, free food, and all your friends are there too. A new age will have dawned. 'Mommy, I wanna grow up to be a prisoner.' 'That's nice Joanie now finish your bread and water.' 'Mommy prison food is better, I just hope I can get there someday?'

Well, black men live longer in prison than outside of it. Can that be a positive for conservatives since they are the overlords of all of penology?

Last edited:

There's one in England. Maybe Deany is confused?

Are you not concerned that the OP made up a story about his "sister" trying to go to college in order to slam the "others"? Or is it OK to do that as long as it reaffirms your already racists and bigoted beliefs?

My guess is that he is full of shit. He should research his lies a little better.

Maybe he's talking about this Churchill College, just outside Boston:

parthenon.jpg

Are you not concerned that the OP made up a story about his "sister" trying to go to college in order to slam the "others"? Or is it OK to do that as long as it reaffirms your already racists and bigoted beliefs?
Anyone who links Raw Story has no problem with lies that reaffirm his already racist and bigoted beliefs. That's Raw Story's purpose.

The problem is with colleges ... they make you go for 4 years when everything you need to learn could be taught in 2 years easy. All of the other "electives" are completely worthless. The best education you will ever get is with the internship or apprenticeship. Colllege is quite a rip off in my opinion.

Last edited:
$279 per credit hour at University of Maine

BA/BS (124 hours) x $279 = $34,596 tuition. (annual tuition $8,649)

The above, does not include the cost of room and board (shall we say $12,000 a year? good luck living that cheaply, but lets be VERY conservative) nor books, nor student fees, not transportation, health care etc.

So I think it reasonable to assume that the cost of going to school and living expenses going to school at Univ Maine at Orno is somewhere in the neighborhood of

8,649 (tuition)
1,000 (books and incidental)
12,000 (living expenses minimum)
$21,649

FYI the median workers' salary in the USA is about $21,000 a year

The medan income of families in Maine is $45,734.

My son is trying to work his way through college right now.

He makes $12.50 an hour working 6 days a week, (2 AM to 8AM) but doesn't qualify as a FULL TIME employee, therefore he does not have health insurance, dental insurance, sick leave, paid vacation, retirement bennies, or any consideration normally associated with working a full time job.

His economy?

1,872 hours labor a year @ $12.50 = $23,400 PRETAX income.

The community college he will attending costs $6,000 TUITION (only) per year. This does not include anything but tuition., We all know college costs a bit more than just thye tuition.

The kid's rent in a West Seattle apartment? About $800 a month.

Do the math.

The days of working your way through school on a modest salary are pretty much over.

I did it, but I did it 40 years ago by working full time PLUS having veterans benefits. And I still had to borrow money (at 7%) to pay both tuition and living expenses.

I do recall not having the cash to attend as a full time student on some occasions and also that I had to drop some classes due to just not having time to work, study and party.

Middle English is a chore to try to try and stay awake to decipher so you can read the story to take the test while the World's Most Intelligent Man, Klaus Jankowski teaches the course without ever uttering a word of modern English.

It took me five and a half years. I never took a trip on Spring Break and I didn't have health insurance or dental or a decent suit.

Poverty ain't for sissies. If you're working your way through college, it makes no difference what your address is. You're living in poverty.

Pure defamation. You can't prove any of it. Because conservatives understand the failure of the government schools, and all the many ways the leftwing has wrecked both K12 and university education doesn't mean they don't value education - the truth is exactly the opposite.

Forum List

Back