Just stop now

That is not true. Yes the masses are quite liberal but the people that actually run things are very conservative. By that I mean business leaders. I associate with very few liberals.

Having lived there, I know what emanates from UT. It is a social progressives paradise. It has tainted the air for moderates and conservatives.
His location is a big clue...
Oh great...another pacifist w/o a clue

I see a binary thinker. Since I'm in Austin I don't have valid opinions?

I'm not saying that, I'm asking if you have considered it. I assume you would be affected by the decline of the dollar. You say you don't tolerate binary thinking but I'm not convinced you aren't a binary thinker yourself.

I am in the Oil business in a round about way. I predict sub $20 in the next few weeks, My thoughts on the Petrodollar are that we would be better off long term to seperate from that if it means we have to stay at war for the indeterminate future

That is quite short sighted. Since we have enough to oil to last a century and natural gas for several, why should I give a crap about the sand dunes? Let them fight it out.

The concern isn't about how much oil we have, it is what happens to the economy if the dollar loses its demand.

My opinions; The dollar will continue to be the world leader but only by default. The Chinese are crumbling, the Germans are up to their elbows in EU financial and other crises. Our ability with shale to provide our own energy and export as well will only serve to bolster that.

Are you the type that thinks its ok to fund war but let our own starve?

I'm anti war/ anti imperialism and I think our foreign policy is a disgrace. We need to cut back on defense spending and reassess our place in the world. I don't think we can just arbitrarily disengage our defenses though.

Agree. I only agree with the last part because I think what Colin Powell said is true. "You break it, you own it".

Last edited:
The United States has already tried isolationism. The result was 60 million deaths, around the globe, including over 400 thousand dead Americans.

We've stepped back from the world stage in recent years and things aren't improving.

So you want to saty in Japan to prevent them from attacking US? LOL

And that friction is a hint of how they could become a threat if we leave...
First off, welcome TominAustin. Austin is great city. I grew up there.

I agree. Not completely though. I think bases and troops are necessary in places like Korea and the Middle East. Even some in Germany. They can provide staging areas for troops should they be needed in distant locations. Does the US need the hundreds of bases that are currently home to hundreds of thousands of American troops overseas? Absolutely not. The cost of maintaining such high troop levels and that many bases would be better spent at home and/or on the troops themselves. They are a boon to the local economies of their host countries. That is money best spent in our communities. There are also a lot of places (Japan, the Middle East, central Asia) where the presence of American troops and bases cause friction with the locals. There are definitely plenty of areas where we can scale back.

It prevents China from attacking Taiwan and North Korea from pulling any craziness.

I agree. Not completely though. I think bases and troops are necessary in places like Korea and the Middle East. Even some in Germany. They can provide staging areas for troops should they be needed in distant locations. Does the US need the hundreds of bases that are currently home to hundreds of thousands of American troops overseas? Absolutely not. The cost of maintaining such high troop levels and that many bases would be better spent at home and/or on the troops themselves. They are a boon to the local economies of their host countries. That is money best spent in our communities. There are also a lot of places (Japan, the Middle East, central Asia) where the presence of American troops and bases cause friction with the locals. There are definitely plenty of areas where we can scale back.

It prevents China from attacking Taiwan and North Korea from pulling any craziness.

Explain to me again why I should pay for protecting Taiwan? I really don't get it. Why should I pay to protect anyone but the USA?

You are using tunnel vision here.

Explain to me again why I should pay for protecting Taiwan? I really don't get it. Why should I pay to protect anyone but the USA?

I am being serious. Taiwan has enough money to arm themselves, as does Japan, Germany and lots of others. If we pulled back they would be left with no choice. Explain to me why we should, free of charge, guard the world. Hell many countries charge us rent to be there protecting them. I say let them pick up the tab. Why is this so alien to you? Why is it our job and our nickle? Please be specific.

You are using tunnel vision here.

Forum List

Back