Just started going to church

Paulie

Diamond Member
May 19, 2007
Tomorrow will be my third week. I went a couple weeks when I was in basic training back in 2000, but that was mainly to get away from drill instructors for a few hours. Otherwise, I've never been.

I used to believe in a higher power when I was younger, and as I got older I questioned it like I question just about everything. I've been agnostic for probably the better part of my adult life (I'm almost 29).

I'm not looking for christ or anything, I'm just looking for something different. I have to say, I haven't felt this much at peace in a long time. I don't believe in a higher power the way a typical christian, jew, muslim, etc, does. I have my own beliefs. What church offers me is a fellowship, and something to keep myself accountable for during the week.

The church is United Methodist, which I really only chose because my late father was Methodist, and this somehow makes me feel like I'm re-acquainting with him in some way. It's protestant at least, which is a start. I wouldn't be caught dead attending anything catholic.

Good for you Paulie!

I was raised in the Methodist Church, but haven't attended as much as I should.

But, I think you will enjoy the Methodist, we are pretty cool people I think! ;)

Paulie - I attend the United Methodist Church in my town. I always feel better when I go to church. Hope it all works out for you. I hope you find the inner peace that you are searching for.

Just remember, we may go to Church on Sundays. but the point of religion is to bring us closer to God everyday. Dont forget to pray and learn for yourself.

Just remember, we may go to Church on Sundays. but the point of religion is to bring us closer to God everyday. Dont forget to pray and learn for yourself.

Not sure I agree with this completely. I get just as much out of the pastor's sermon, and the general fellowship of the other church goers, as I do the rest of it. The pastor is very young, probably around my age, and he actually came out to our house about 2 weeks ago to talk with my girlfriend and I. We've been having some problems lately in the relationship, and this seems to be helping to bring us closer together. The GF is a christian, but I don't necessarily identify myself as a "christian", per se.

I haven't really prayed yet. I don't feel comfortable with it at this point in time. I don't want to just jump right into the deep end of the pool, so to speak. Thie is going to be one the slowest moving things I've ever personally involved myself in.

The church I attended as a child became part of the United Methodist Church in 1968.

I fell away for forty years. God did an impossible thing and brought me back about four years ago.

I encourage you to stay with it.

Good for you, you joined a homo hating, women debassing religion of like minded navel gazers. Don't forget to bring your wallet!

Church is a waste of time. A bunch of people all programmed to respond in unison. Groupthink in action

If you are going to sooth your conscience, don't bother. If it is a good church, you will find peace in God, and your conscience can be cleared only through Him. If you are going to get fellowship, there are good people there, but you can get that anywhere. The fellowship God is drawing you to is fellowship with Him. If you are trying to find a higher power, church is OK, but He is seen in all of His awesome creation (Romans 1). If you are trying to convince God that youi are seeking Him, you can indeed find find him in the church, but He is wherever you are when you need Him.

Today, the church is all of the things you are going for, and that is not necessarily a bad thing. However, if it is only about your own peace of mind, real peace is only in a relationship with God that is personal, it is not about a religion. Seek God first, in a genuine relationship with Him, then all the rest that your heart is needing will come.

Tomorrow will be my third week. I went a couple weeks when I was in basic training back in 2000, but that was mainly to get away from drill instructors for a few hours. Otherwise, I've never been.

I used to believe in a higher power when I was younger, and as I got older I questioned it like I question just about everything. I've been agnostic for probably the better part of my adult life (I'm almost 29).

I'm not looking for christ or anything, I'm just looking for something different. I have to say, I haven't felt this much at peace in a long time. I don't believe in a higher power the way a typical christian, jew, muslim, etc, does. I have my own beliefs. What church offers me is a fellowship, and something to keep myself accountable for during the week.

The church is United Methodist, which I really only chose because my late father was Methodist, and this somehow makes me feel like I'm re-acquainting with him in some way. It's protestant at least, which is a start. I wouldn't be caught dead attending anything catholic.

thats a good choice my husband is methodist we go to a united methodist church its pretty cool

Not sure I agree with this completely. I get just as much out of the pastor's sermon, and the general fellowship of the other church goers, as I do the rest of it. The pastor is very young, probably around my age, and he actually came out to our house about 2 weeks ago to talk with my girlfriend and I. We've been having some problems lately in the relationship, and this seems to be helping to bring us closer together. The GF is a christian, but I don't necessarily identify myself as a "christian", per se.

I haven't really prayed yet. I don't feel comfortable with it at this point in time. I don't want to just jump right into the deep end of the pool, so to speak. Thie is going to be one the slowest moving things I've ever personally involved myself in.

its cool that your going for your gf and it should be for yourself to but at least your going and you feel at peace... thats one of the reason's I love going to church........... I am a christian my last bf was not it was hard dating him just because when it came sunday I would want him to come with me but he didnt want to......... other then that we had lots of fun togather......... it didnt work out............ me and my husband now both christians love the lord and get his blessings everyday and its great......... I pray one day you see the lord and have a close relateship with him.... but all in time if you dont then thats all up to you dont let any one force you into soemthing you dont like or want..... but I tell you what it is a good feeling to know that God is around.......

Probably the same one that believes your political and economic positions are prudent.

This coming from a supporter of the Austrian school? :rofl:

Hell, maybe it's fun sucking Peter Schiff's dick and bragging to everyone on mises.org that you've read Economics in One Lesson seven times in a row, but that shit ain't for me. Same goes for the chanting to the invisible man; both involve babbling about a utopian non-reality. :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back