Just Saying...

Quote:
Double-Standard? “It is interesting to note that while a lot of people in the world are asking the pope to apologise for his speech, I have never heard a Muslim say sorry for having conquered Spain and occupying it for eight centuries,” said Former Spanish PM José Maria Aznar.

i have never heard a muslim appologise for anything that anyone has ever called them on ......

oh and heads up jose....they are going to bomb you for that statement

It is my opinion the Pope better think long and hard about any further response becasue he will be sending a BIG message to both his followers in the Western World and his new enemies who want to kill him for expressing his opinion.
I don't think his 'worries' are self directed. I would bet though, the nun who was killed weighs heavy on his mind. He did and does mean to do the right thing though. NOT because he's 'infallible' which is not included in the past or future pronouncements about Islam, Cat Stevens notwithstanding.

I don't think his 'worries' are self directed. I would bet though, the nun who was killed weighs heavy on his mind. He did and does mean to do the right thing though. NOT because he's 'infallible' which is not included in the past or future pronouncements about Islam, Cat Stevens notwithstanding.

I take no issue with what the Pope said, nor his intent in saying it. And he should not blame himself for the actions of murderers and cowards. Shooting a nun in the back. What more could one do to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt what a worhtless cowardly piece of sh*t they are than shooting a nun in the back?

What should happen, but apparently isn't, is the entire Western World should be opening its eyes REAL wide and seeing this incident for what it is.

"We should talk and not settle or differences by violence."

"We'll kill you for that."

How much clearer does that message have to get?

This is the history of that time. His demanding of an excuse is nothing but spreading of hate. I think the religous fanatics of Islam (and others) should be fought just, not by trying to dehumanize all muslims (or others).

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/Sephardim.html
The situation improved in 711 when Spain fell under the rule of the Muslim Moors. Both Muslims and Jews built a civilization, based in Cordoba, known as Al-Andalus, which was more advanced than any civilization in Europe at that time. Jews were able to coexist peacefully with their neighbors; however, they were still treated as dhimmis, "People of the Book" (Jews and Christians) who are protected under Islamic law. Jews did not have complete autonomy and had to pay a special tax, the jizha , but were able to freely practice their religion.

The era of Muslim rule in Spain (8th-11th century) was considered the "Golden Age" for Spanish Jewry. Jewish intellectual and spiritual life flourished and many Jews served in Spanish courts. Jewish economic expansion was unparalleled. In Toledo, Jews were involved in translating Arabic texts to the romance languages, as well as translating Greek and Hebrew texts into Arabic. Jews also contributed to botany, geography, medicine, mathematics, poetry and philosophy.
The Christians conquered Toledo in 1098 and the Jews in Christian Spain prospered, while those in Muslim Spain suffered under the Almohad dynasty. Both Jews and Muslims were involved in the cultural, economic, intellectual, financial and political life of Christian Spain. By the mid-13th century, the Christians controlled most of Spain and increasingly forced Jews to convert to Christianity. Those who converted became known as Marranos or New Christians. Marranos are also known as crypto-Jews because they taught their children and practiced Judaism in secret. During this period, Jews were forced to participate in "religious" disputes with Christians counterparts.

Anti-Jewish riots broke out in 1391 in several Spanish cities and the situation worsened for the Jewish community. New Christians were tortured or killed in the Spanish Inquisition during the 15th century. Father Tomas de Torquemada felt that if the Jews remained in Spain, then they would influence the new converts to Christianity. After the capture of Granada from Muslim forces, Father Torquemada convinced King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella that the Jewish community was expendable. In 1492, Isabella and Ferdinand commanded that all Jews who refused to convert to Christianity be expelled from Spain. The Jews were given four months to leave Spain and were forced to sell their houses and businesses at low prices. It is estimated that 100,000 Jews left Spain at this time. The expulsion from Spain is commemorated every year by all Jews on the holiday of Tisha B’Av.

EDIT:
Actually, by reading things in context he isn't demanding an excuse from muslims. He has a point in what he says too. I have trouble though with those historical references since they only emphasize on conflicts and serves no other purpose than dusting them of and sell them again as new.

Forum List

Back