"Just say NO!"

Wry....I was one of the hits. However, I have no answers to offer. Do we give up on the war against drugs? That would be wrong, IMHO. But, we certainly cannot afford to keep throwing money at a failed and obviously flawed program either. So, what is the solution? I have no idea.

This is one of the things that always astounds me. The war on drugs kills more people than drugs do, costs us billions of dollars, and is an utter failure, but we cannot stop doing it.

WHY THE FUCK NOT?

Why can't we wake up and admit we were wrong about something? We are adults and we have made mistakes before. Prohibition of alcohol was a big mistake, and we admitted it. Did the world come to an end after that? Did civilization fall apart? As far as I can tell, we didn't even provoke God to come down and smite us like Sodom and Gomorrah.

The war on drugs kills more people than drugs do?

Why don't you go ahead and cite your references, idiot.

There are so many ways to respond to a post you disagree with, why did you choose to call the poster and idiot? Now, stating that the war on drugs kills more people than do drugs maybe hyperbole, but the fact is the war on drugs helped create the climate for gangs to develop and turf to be protected.
Public policy on drugs, prisons and criminal procedures needs to be addressed, debated and alternatives tried, based on research and unbiased intelligent debate. Simple solutions to complex problems usually exacerbate and rarely mitigate, of which "Just say No" is a good example. Efforts to mitigate human misery and economic foolishness when castigated by those whose thinking is boxed in by ideology is annoying.
(see, even if I believe you're an idiot, I'm able to say so in a nice way).

He is an idiot for making such a ridiculous statement.
And I didn't JUST call him an idiot. I also asked for a citation.

Which of course won't be provided because the statement is a LIE. Not hyperbole, LIE.

And tell me why should we the people have to pay for treating addicts?

Because, in the vast majority of cases, they are unable to pay for their own treatment and, left untreated, they continue to use and to commit the crimes associated with using, i.e., theft, burglary, robbery, etc.

Legalize it and tax it. Why? In CA alone, it will generate 1 Billion (with a B) in tax revenue.

If it's legal, and can be imported, a lot of illegals will go back to Mexico to grow pot. Why? It grows better down there.

And, if it's legal, the DEA can go after the stuff that really kills people like crack and meth. Those 2 drugs cause people to become violent.

Cannabis just makes you hungry and cautious.

Because, in the vast majority of cases, they are unable to pay for their own treatment and, left untreated, they continue to use and to commit the crimes associated with using, i.e., theft, burglary, robbery, etc.

yes I understand that. So lock them up for the crime they commit and them dry out in prison.

yes I understand that. So lock them up for the crime they commit and them dry out in prison.

You DO realize that pot is non addictive, right?

And, most people, given the chance between cannabis and other addictive drugs would choose weed over meth.

Why? Pot doesn't make you grow old and lose your teeth in 4 years, nor does it cause you to commit violent acts on other people.

How much better to avoid the crime being committed in the first place AND save on the cost of housing and feeding them in jail/prison.

And, most people, given the chance between cannabis and other addictive drugs would choose weed over meth.

Why? Pot doesn't make you grow old and lose your teeth in 4 years, nor does it cause you to commit violent acts on other people.

Pot is non addictive? Are you sure about that? Alcohol and cigarettes are addictive. Seems to me pot would be as well - but I never smoked it. I used the other two, however and I got thoroughly addicted to both.

However, last time I looked at the OP, this thread is about drugs in general - not just pot. And there is no question that meth, cocaine and all of the other hard drugs, are very addictive.

Pot is non addictive? Are you sure about that? Alcohol and cigarettes are addictive. Seems to me pot would be as well - but I never smoked it. I used the other two, however and I got thoroughly addicted to both.

However, last time I looked at the OP, this thread is about drugs in general - not just pot. And there is no question that meth, cocaine and all of the other hard drugs, are very addictive.

Yes, I am sure about that. I've read the studies from Harvard and Royal British Medical Society.

You apparently haven't, nor do you have any experience of it. Cigarettes and alcohol are MUCH different than cannabis. Not only do I know that as a Drug and Alcohol Program Advisor, but I've also done other reading as well.

Alcohol is addictive. Overuse will result in death if it's taken away. Ever heard of DT's?

Nicotine is addictive. Ever seen someone go cold turkey away from cigarettes?

Pot isn't. Doctors and scientists have tested this theory.

You only know about it from what you've heard, which is VERY inaccurate.

Yes, I am sure about that. I've read the studies from Harvard and Royal British Medical Society.

You apparently haven't, nor do you have any experience of it. Cigarettes and alcohol are MUCH different than cannabis. Not only do I know that as a Drug and Alcohol Program Advisor, but I've also done other reading as well.

Alcohol is addictive. Overuse will result in death if it's taken away. Ever heard of DT's?

Well said. One of my points is MJ is a schedule I drug. Therefore clinical trials are very limited and there is very little research. However, MJ is everywhere. Thinking, rational people would ask why, and investigate. Sadly, thinking rational people don't make our laws.

Well said. One of my points is MJ is a schedule I drug. Therefore clinical trials are very limited and there is very little research. However, MJ is everywhere. Thinking, rational people would ask why, and investigate. Sadly, thinking rational people don't make our laws.

Federal legalization of weed--removing it from The List--is the eventual end game. I'm pretty sure I'll see it happen within my lifetime.

But in the short-term, states will probably continue to be the ones pushing on this front. I think fifteen states have decriminalized possession and/or allowed it for medicinal uses. Possession for under a quarter ounce in Oregon is like a $5 Class C misdemeanor, or something like that. Cali has a ballot measure coming up that would completely legalize it, so we'll see how that goes. Progress is being made, but I think it's going too slow, especially with a so-called liberal in the White House.

Forum List

Back