Just say no to Government Motors and Obamacars

It's official. The decisions on which dealers to close are purely political:

POLITICO 44: The Obama Presidency. Minute by Minute

House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer and Reps. Chris Van Hollen and Daniel Maffei have circulated this letter today to Obama today expressing “growing concern” with the closures of GM and Chrysler dealerships across the country. The lawmakers say they’re asking for a “compelling justification as to how closing healthy dealerships will make the automakers more financially sound. The lawmakers are asking for lawmakers to sign this letter by 5p.m. today.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
It's official. The decisions on which dealers to close are purely political:

POLITICO 44: The Obama Presidency. Minute by Minute

House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer and Reps. Chris Van Hollen and Daniel Maffei have circulated this letter today to Obama today expressing “growing concern” with the closures of GM and Chrysler dealerships across the country. The lawmakers say they’re asking for a “compelling justification as to how closing healthy dealerships will make the automakers more financially sound. The lawmakers are asking for lawmakers to sign this letter by 5p.m. today.

I watched the testimony the other evening on c span.. the dealerships cost the car companies zero money,, the dealerships pay for every single pamphlet and paper clip,, it doesn't make sense that the car companies can sell more cars with less venues in which to do so does it?? nope,, ya know what the uaw has planned.. after they close the targeted ones,, they will build new ones.. some of these dealerships have as much as 5 to 10 million dollars invested. and they lose it all.. they are receiving the royal screw,, not just the screw,, but the royal screw..

Damnit! People need to stop giving them ideas on new taxes! :razz:

LOL, come on now, you don't think the money addicted, statists in Washington haven't already thought of that one ? Heck rumor has it they're working on a way add a VAT to child birth after all turning an egg and sperm into a human is considered a value added production process by the left. :tongue:

Chevy and Chrysler were never even in consideration for my next car... nothing to do with the government though, and everything to do with them being a fine example of good old american capitalism where decisions are made by out of touch executives.

Probably looking at a honda CR-V and civic -hybrid or ngv- as my next two vehicles in 2010 and 2011 respectively.

good old american capitalism where decisions are made by out of touch executives.

it wasn't that complicated. American cars are just cheaply made. you sit in any American car, even a Cadillac and it just screams CHEAP ! ! ! at you.

now there is nothing wrong with cheap cars when they sell for $15,000. but when a cheap car is being sold for $70,000 now you have a problem !

a fine example of good old american capitalism where decisions are made by out of touch executives.

Yes well it's sort of hard to remain an "in touch" executive when the heavy hand of government regulators, tax regime cronies, monetary manipulators and social experimentors continually distort and outright break the free market signalling mechanisms, don't you think?

Yep--Ford versus GM---"punish the successful (Ford) while rewarding failure (GM)." That's the policy of this administration. It seems to me this is unconstitutional for the government to be able to unlevel the playing field against an American competitor. " I guess anything to keep those union votes."

Ford seems excited about this though. They said it is the opportunity of a century. Probably mid-size vehicles--4-wheel drives & trucks. (The kind of vehicles that Americans feel safe to put their kids in.)

Last edited:
Yep--Ford versus GM---"punish the successful (Ford) while rewarding failure (GM)." That's the policy of this administration.
Yep and it goes far beyond the automotive industry, the statists in this adminstration clearly believe the right thing to do is punish the productive <fill in your job classficiation here> and reward the unproductive <fill in the job classification you wish you had but aren't actually willing to work for here>

It seems to me this is unconstitutional for the government to be able to unlevel the playing field against an American competitor. " I guess anything to keep those union votes."
What seems to you is absolutely correct but it's readily apparent that the central government no longer regards the words, meaning or intent of the Constitution as relevant and instead has decided to do whatever the hell it wants because given that the fawning masses will go along with it, why shoudd they bother to honor the constraints of the social contract?

Yep--Ford versus GM---"punish the successful (Ford) while rewarding failure (GM)." That's the policy of this administration.
Yep and it goes far beyond the automotive industry, the statists in this adminstration clearly believe the right thing to do is punish the productive <fill in your job classficiation here> and reward the unproductive <fill in the job classification you wish you had but aren't actually willing to work for here>

It seems to me this is unconstitutional for the government to be able to unlevel the playing field against an American competitor. " I guess anything to keep those union votes."
What seems to you is absolutely correct but it's readily apparent that the central government no longer regards the words, meaning or intent of the Constitution as relevant and instead has decided to do whatever the hell it wants because given that the fawning masses will go along with it, why shoudd they bother to honor the constraints of the social contract?

Where we live in the Rockies--& what we do for a living--we cannot do without 4-wheel drive trucks. So we will be hanging on to our Ford pickup & our two Dodge trucks.

These mini-mouse cars won't work for us.

Where we live in the Rockies--& what we do for a living--we cannot do without 4-wheel drive trucks.

Me and a majority of your fellow citizens have decided to vote away your right to have four wheel drive trucks, sorry about that and welcome to the tyranny of the majority. :p

I have 3 Ford vehicles in my garage and driveway right now. I have never owned a GM or Chrysler product, and never will. They are junk.

Nice to see a few people see the flaws in over regulation, environutology, and government owned corporations. Now, we need to stop buying the products the government endorses, period, start buying anything they say is bad, seriously, if enough people did it ... that would make a powerful statement.

Nice to see a few people see the flaws in over regulation, environutology, and government owned corporations. Now, we need to stop buying the products the government endorses, period, start buying anything they say is bad, seriously, if enough people did it ... that would make a powerful statement.

Starting with kool ade !!

Next time I set out to purchase a new vehicle, I will choose it based on my needs.

And I suspect that most of you will do the same thing, regardless of your ire concerning the GM bailout and takeover.

Oh a few of you might be angry enough not to buy a GM or Chrysler because of the bailout, but I have confidence most of you aren't such complete fools regardless of your angry posts to the contrary.

I confess to something you already knew Edict.. I will never buy a gm or a chrysler,, this corruption just rolled right over the backs of hard working Americans took what they owned cause well, just cause they wanted it for the corrupt uaw,, so yep,, I cop to being dumb as dirt,, won't never buy a gm..

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
I confess to something you already knew Edict.. I will never buy a gm or a chrysler,, this corruption just rolled right over the backs of hard working Americans took what they owned cause well, just cause they wanted it for the corrupt uaw,, so yep,, I cop to being dumb as dirt,, won't never buy a gm..

Well that's your right, isn't it?

Nothing wrong with putting your money where your mouth is, Willow.

I wish more people would do that, to be honest.

So many of us give lip service to things which in real life we don't really support.

In my case, obviously, I don't care about the GM bailout so I won't care what the structure of GM is when I'm deciding what car to purchase.

But I certainly won't fault you FOR CARING either.

I make a LOT of choices about how I spend my money which are based on my political views.

Given that, how could I fault you for doing the same?

Forum List

Back