Just say Know

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by sparky, May 1, 2012.

1. sparky

sparky VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    6 Kinds of Pills Big Pharma Tries to Get You Hooked on for Life | Personal Health | AlterNet

There are two ways Pharma hooks the US public on prescriptions for life. First, prescriptions that used to be taken as needed for pain, anxiety, GERD (gastroesophageal reflux), asthma, mood problems, migraines and even erectile dysfunction, gout and retroviruses (in some cases) are now full-time medicines. Instead of having a bad day or heartburn, you have a disease like anxiety or GERD which calls for full pharmaceutical artillery. Instead of having body pain to be treated transiently, you are put on an antidepressant like Cymbalta or seizure drug like Lyrica or Neurontin indefinitely.

Secondly, many of the top-selling drugs today are to prevent chronic conditions like high cholesterol, high blood pressure and osteoporosis that people are said to be "at risk" for. Needless to say, in both cases, people never know if the drugs are working or whether they would have had symptoms without them. This creates a loyal customer who is afraid to quit a prescription because it might be working. And why should they quit anyway when a third party is probably paying?

2. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,765
    Apparently prescription drug advertisers are required by law to mention the side effects in on-air advertisements. Be wary of drugs that include "fatal episodes".

3. sparky

sparky VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    well that becomes a somewhat subliminal issue, given those auctioneer speed warnings are usually accompanied by visuals of happy active people vs. sick and hurt ones whitehall

~S~

4. Gagafritz

Gagafritz Lady Germanotta Snicks

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +148
    I think cholesterol meds are the biggest scam going. I absolutely will not take statin medications.

5. sparky

sparky VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBb5v1sJhuU&feature=player_detailpage]Big Pharma's New Drug: Fukitol - YouTube[/ame]

6. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,874
    Granny says eat yer `sparagus...
    :eusa_eh:
    'Good' cholesterol doctrine may be flawed: study
    17 May`12 - Researchers on Thursday challenged a tenet of modern medicine that higher levels of "good" cholesterol automatically boost cardiovascular health.

7. Gagafritz

Gagafritz Lady Germanotta Snicks

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +148
    I have had high cholesterol for years. It runs in my family. Recently i was having some chest pain and they went ahead and did a cardiac cath. They told me my arteries were "pristine" so the cause was GI related, not heart. Then, they tried to give me a prescription for Lipitor. Um, if i have had high cholesterol for decades and my arteries are "pristine", then WHY do i need to take Lipitor? Sorry, not going to subject myself to Lipitor related liver problems and other potential complications if i am not having a problem.

8. Dabs

Dabs ~Unpredictable~

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I do...and have....taken prescription pills for just about everything you named.
    Except erectile dysfunction.......damn good thing I don't have a penis!