Just saw the Darkest Hour

For those who have not seen it, it is a must see.

So here we have a story about Winston Churchill, a conservative who had largely been ignored and dismissed as an "idiot" until England had been routed by Hitler in Europe with virtually no hope of winning the war. All of a sudden, they promote Churchill to over see the sinking ship by making him Prime Minister. But as he takes over, he is continually undermined by left wingers who want to make peace with Hitler. So here he is in the midst of a desperate war against the greatest evil in human history trying to regroup as best he can while being sabotaged at every turn into surrendering to Hitler at the best conditions possible. It was literally Winston against the world, not even FDR would help him.

Sound familiar anyone?

Naturally, after he took on Hitler and the entire European continent and prevailed, they once again kicked him to the curb to vote in more left wingers.
Sounds like a fake version of History.

Churchill inherited Chamberlain's massive war-build-up.

Churchill single handedly almost lost WW1 with his Gallipoli disaster.

Churchill was a meaningless figurehead throughout WW2 since the Prime Minister plays no part in war, and all the war powers are vested in the Royal person, that time, King George.

You know SO little about the UK.

The movie must be made for a US audience? Was it laughed out of Britain yet?

Actually Churchill probably did more to influence America's eventual involvement in the war in Europe than any non-American. You don't know much about American history.

i'm going to go see it when i get the chance , i like part American , part 'injun' and part 'english' Winston Churchill . As well as WW2 he was a Great man especially his thinking and reasoning on 'muslims' .
I wouldn't pay to go see it, but when it comes out after the DVD. Overall, it isn't that bad a flick. Like I said, Gary Oldman's performance is pretty good.
I thought it was a very good film- if you can do a double billing with it and Dunkirk that would be fantastic.

Forum List

Back