Just Received This E-mail.

froggy

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2009
Regarding the speech given by Mexican President Felipe Calderon gave to a joint session of Congress

I was outraged that a foreign president would come to the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives and lecture us on enforcing our laws. Since coming to Congress, I have been a staunch supporter of bills that provide the tools and means needed to deter, track, and apprehend illegal immigrants at the federal, state and local level.

I believe we need comprehensive reform of our immigration system and that by ignoring the problem, Congress is going to make it worse. It is clear to me that as we reform our system, we cannot reward those who have broken the law, which is why I oppose granting amnesty to any immigrant living here illegally.

A similar plan granted amnesty in the 1980's, and the results of which make me leery of doing this again. Rather than solving the problem, this reform sent a message to millions of potential immigrants that if they are living in the United States illegally, eventually they will be rewarded with citizenship.

One of the first steps we must take immediately is to regain control of our borders. If we continue to have a porous border, we will never solve the problem. Americans are the fairest people on the earth and we can't expect law abiding citizens to obey the law while allowing others come here illegally and disobey the law with no penalty. I support constructing a fence along our southern border, which I believe can and will work. The fence in San Diego aided in reducing the crime rate by nearly 80% since its establishment.

I also support increasing resources for border control to prevent immigrants from entering our country illegally, and for the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration to help enforce the law. Additionally, I would provide funding and authority to local law enforcement so that they can help federal authorities in enforcing our laws.

As a nation of immigrants, we should welcome those who choose to follow the rules and wait in line to emigrate. The fact is, there are some jobs - particularly in the agricultural sector - that very few Americans have expressed interest in taking, and if Americans are not interested in the work, we should work with employers to fill workforce shortages. We should ask employers to ensure that the employees they hire are American or are here legally, which is why I support the E-Verify system. On March 5, 2009, I joined several of my colleagues in writing to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi urging her to take up legislation reauthorizing this important system. The instant verification of worker status is simple and successful technology, so we must be more diligent in requiring its use.

For immigrants who do come here, I believe it's important we establish a common identity, which is why I support legislation making English the national language. It is imperative that we maintain that common bind which keeps us together as "one nation under God."

While we as Christians need to maintain our Christian character and love our neighbor, it is also imperative that we obey the law of the land and deport those that are here illegally. We should welcome those who wish to come here legally and be productive and valuable citizens, supporting our laws and institutions.

Sincerely,

David P. Roe
Member of Congress

Forum List

Back