Just popping in - question for GunnyL and RetiredGySgt

Ninja

Dec 30, 2006
Glorious People's Republic of California
I have an interview tomorrow with a USMC OCS recruiter.

Nice jacket, dress shirt, khakis, dress shoes, close shave, Oakleys - will this suffice?

He referred to himself as "Gunny xxxxxx" when we first spoke in person and when we set up the meeting over the phone. Is it OK to call him by this? Should I address him as "sir" or would that be awkward for someone not in the military?

P.S. Hjmick, I got your email, congrats, been meaning to email you back, been really busy. Sorry to the libbies for not dropping by on 11/5 to eat crow as I promised but again, I've been really busy. Plus surprisingly I didn't feel that bad that McCain got owned. And Obama's the CiC-elect and gets my support :)

Last edited:

Nice jacket, dress shirt, khakis, dress shoes, close shave, Oakleys - will this suffice?

He referred to himself as "Gunny xxxxxx" when we first spoke in person and when we set up the meeting over the phone. Is it OK to call him by this? Should I address him as "sir" or would that be awkward for someone not in the military?

P.S. Hjmick, I got your email, congrats, been meaning to email you back, been really busy. Sorry to the libbies for not dropping by on 11/5 to eat crow as I promised but again, I've been really busy. Plus surprisingly I didn't feel that bad that McCain got owned. And Obama's the CiC-elect and gets my support :)

If he is a GySgt do not address him as Sir. Address him by rank. I imagine in OCS you will address any one as Sir but I don't know for sure as I never went that route.

Attire, no idea. Well dressed would be appropriate.

You address a Gunnery Sergeant as "Gunnery Sergeant." If he addresses hislef as Gunny it is appropriate to address him as "Gunny" after he does.

If you prefer your head attached at the shoulders, I would suggest NOT addressing a GySgt as "sir.":evil:

The Marine Corps standard for civilian attire is conservative and in good taste and appropriate to the occasion. If you are interviewing for a job, I would suggest casual/dress slacks (Dockers are the preferred type for civilian attire), casual button-down shirt with collar, tucked in, belt, and casual/dress shoes.

Good luck.

Wimp. If you had any real balls you'd wear tied dyed tee-shirt and love beads.

He referred to himself as "Gunny xxxxxx" when we first spoke in person and when we set up the meeting over the phone. Is it OK to call him by this?

Call him "Lad". Senior NCOs love it when you do that. They like it if you refer to them as "Your Highness", too.

Should I address him as "sir" or would that be awkward for someone not in the military?

Address him as "Boy"... especially if he's Black.

After all, you are an OCR, so you'll really want to show these EM that you're OCR material.

Went well, or at least I felt it did.

Referred to the recruiter as "Gunnery Sergeant" as instructed. Didn't have the balls to try "boy" thing. Pretty sure I'd be in traction right now if I had. LOL.

Thanks for the tips.

Went well, or at least I felt it did.

Referred to the recruiter as "Gunnery Sergeant" as instructed. Didn't have the balls to try "boy" thing. Pretty sure I'd be in traction right now if I had. LOL.

Thanks for the tips.

Good Luck Ninja, keep us posted and let us know what happens!

Forum List

Back