Just picked up my Aussie ( spayed )

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest
Hi all I just picked up my Aussie ( Australia Shepherd )from the vet, they spayed her—I get all the instructions and the pain killers they sent her home with. On my way home in traffic the vets assistant calls and says the vet meant to tell you that the Deramaxx we gave her for pain can and has been known to cause the following;

-kidney damage and secondary effects on the heart
-liver damage
-gastro-intestinal ulceration

"Okay that’s all I wanted to say".. and hangs up the phone. I try to call back without answer.

Has anyone used this drug for their pet or can I give her another OTC such as Tylenol or something. I know many of these things we take can be harmful to dogs but the assistant almost seemed to be warning me and I can’t get a hold of anyone now.

No, don't give tylenol.

I wouldn't give her anything. I've had I don't know how many dogs, and never gave them anything for pain after they came home, and never had any act like they were in pain. They were a wee bit stiff for a day or so, and that was it.

No, don't give tylenol.

I wouldn't give her anything. I've had I don't know how many dogs, and never gave them anything for pain after they came home, and never had any act like they were in pain. They were a wee bit stiff for a day or so, and that was it.

Thanks for the info-- so no tylenol-- I don't think she is in pain ( as far as I can tell) but she is sleeping and out of it. The warning about the pills he gave scared me.

Yeah, they sleep a lot for a day or so. It's the anesthesia.

Tylenol will destroy the liver, too.

The vet probably calls people to tell them that to keep the owners from popping the pills.

Yeah, they sleep a lot for a day or so. It's the anesthesia.

Tylenol will destroy the liver, too.

The vet probably calls people to tell them that to keep the owners from popping the pills.

Thank you again!

They put one of those cones on her head as well. I can't keep it on her and she like to crawl under my bed to sleep-- have you had any experience with yours eating the stitches out-- should I try to keep this cone on her head--- it seems to be bothering her more than her bottom half.

I meant to add--- I opened the bottle at the vet clinic while there and the smell was horrible-- I can't imagine a person eating it. Although I have heard of stranger things.. Kids today taking animal tranqs to get high!

Read all about it:

Deracoxib - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In my experience with spayed pets, the fewer drugs the better. There's gonna be pain -- they gutted her like a fish after all -- but this pain reliever/anti-inflammatory actually has a good track record. Just make sure you give the correct dose at the correct time interval. It's OK to be late, but never early with it. And discontinue it as soon as you think she doesn't need it. It's not a antibiotic, you don't have to give her the full prescription.

And NEVER give a pet any human drugs! These will crystallize their livers and cause renal failure really quick!

Take the cone off and see what she does. I've never heard of putting the cone on BEFORE the animal starts trying to pull the stitches.

And no, I never had any problem with any of our dogs pulling out stitches. In fact, I removed their stitches myself. They only have a few of them, don't they? I don't know how big your Aussie is, but generally speaking, there aren't a lot. They heal fast. one or two might pull a little or pop, usually not a big deal.

Read all about it:

In my experience with spayed pets, the fewer drugs the better. There's gonna be pain -- they gutted her like a fish after all -- but this pain reliever/anti-inflammatory actually has a good track record. Just make sure you give the correct dose at the correct time interval. It's OK to be late, but never early with it. And discontinue it as soon as you think she doesn't need it. It's not a antibiotic, you don't have to give her the full prescription.

And NEVER give a pet any human drugs! These will crystallize their livers and cause renal failure really quick!

Hey thanks I did not find it there. I knew that many drugs we take can hurt animals that is why I asked. This same vet told me to give Kaopectate for her diarrhea awhile back so I thought some human drugs may be okay but I did not know.

Take the cone off and see what she does. I've never heard of putting the cone on BEFORE the animal starts trying to pull the stitches.

And no, I never had any problem with any of our dogs pulling out stitches. In fact, I removed their stitches myself. They only have a few of them, don't they? I don't know how big your Aussie is, but generally speaking, there aren't a lot. They heal fast. one or two might pull a little or pop, usually not a big deal.
Those stitches, at least in modern times, never need to be pulled. They absorb into the skin and disappear. There's another set of them, underneath the skin as well.

Keeping the pet from chewing on them and/or scratching them is vital early on. Later on, after they're set properly, licking is okay and for dogs, beneficial.

CaféAuLait;1079230 said:
Read all about it:

Hey thanks I did not find it there. I knew that many drugs we take can hurt animals that is why I asked. This same vet told me to give Kaopectate for her diarrhea awhile back so I thought some human drugs may be okay but I did not know.
Kaopectate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When they told me the fees here that was one of them-- the cone 14.99 for the cone. x ammount for the painkillers, x amount for blood tests So I assumed that all dogs got one. I am going to take it off. She is a skittish dog anyway-- the incision looks to be about two inches long --- still a bit messy for me to tell how many stitches---they are self-dissolving so I don't have to worry about stitch removal.

Last edited:

Those stitches, at least in modern times, never need to be pulled. They absorb into the skin and disappear. There's another set of them, underneath the skin as well.

Keeping the pet from chewing on them and/or scratching them is vital early on. Later on, after they're set properly, licking is okay and for dogs, beneficial.

Our last set didn't dissolve. Hence my removing them.

This was a poodle, though. Smaller than an Aussie, more fragile skinned.

CaféAuLait;1079230 said:
Read all about it:

Kaopectate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perhaps the vet does not know the new info on Kaopectate , seems he does for charges. 430.00 I nearly fell over when I heard how much it was going to cost. Then again the NOVA/DC area is overpriced in many things.

Hey I wanted to thank you both for your input I really really appreciated it. More than you will know. She is doing great today –trying to run like nothing ever happened wanting to play catch ( I am not allowing her to run I stop her). The first night was the hardest her was grunting and "groaning" ( sounded like it anyway) and I felt for her. I gave her the pain meds and she went to sleep. She did not eat anything that night but did the next day and drank a gallon of water. She is just about back to her old self.

Again thank you for your help!!

Forum List

Back