Just out of Curiousity

Darkwind

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2009
Exactly when did it become legal or even moral for government to compete with private business?

From where does the legal authority come that allows the government to compete with private business?

We could go ask our founding fathers. Better yet, if we lived in the time, we could go send them a letter through the postal office. :eusa_whistle:

Exactly when did it become legal or even moral for government to compete with private business?

From where does the legal authority come that allows the government to compete with private business?
Don't know, but it's from no constitutional authority.

We could go ask our founding fathers. Better yet, if we lived in the time, we could go send them a letter through the postal office. :eusa_whistle:
Something wrong with adhering to the supreme law of the land? Or are you one of those who think that the Founders are just a bunch of dead white guys who need to be ignored?

I'd like to see if anyone can come up with an answer to any of My questions.

Don't know, but it's from no constitutional authority.
Correct. There is no constitutional authority that allows the government to compete with the private sector.

Something wrong with adhering to the supreme law of the land? Or are you one of those who think that the Founders are just a bunch of dead white guys who need to be ignored?

That one flew over your head huh Dark?

Brush up on your history:

United States Postal Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The United States Post Office (U.S.P.O.) was created in Philadelphia under Benjamin Franklin on July 26, 1775 by decree of the Second Continental Congress. Based on the Postal Clause in Article One of the United States Constitution, empowering Congress "To establish post offices and post roads," it became the Post Office Department (U.S.P.O.D.) in 1792. It was part of the Presidential cabinet and the Postmaster General was the last person in the United States presidential line of succession. In 1971, the department was reorganized as a quasi-independent corporation of the federal government and acquired its present name. The Postmaster General is no longer in the presidential line of succession.[2]

The United States Post Office (U.S.P.O.) was created in Philadelphia under Benjamin Franklin on July 26, 1775 by decree of the Second Continental Congress. Based on the Postal Clause in Article One of the United States Constitution, empowering Congress "To establish post offices and post roads," it became the Post Office Department (U.S.P.O.D.) in 1792. It was part of the Presidential cabinet and the Postmaster General was the last person in the United States presidential line of succession. In 1971, the department was reorganized as a quasi-independent corporation of the federal government and acquired its present name. The Postmaster General is no longer in the presidential line of succession.[2]
No, It did not. The Postal Service does not compete with private industry. No other corporation provides letter service in this country AND the Postal Service is no longer a government agency.

So, I'll ask you again. From where does the federal government get the authority to compete with the private sector?

And for a bonus -- answer this.

Why exactly is it morally (and legally) wrong for government to compete with the private sector?

Last edited:

the post office is private not govt....amtrack is govt........
Well, it is quasi-government in that it has some law enforcement ability. But outside of that....Its pretty much a private entity now.

I doubt anyone is going to show up and answer My questions. Questions that should be put to the three stooges...

Obama, Pelosi and Reid.

Public schools.
A violation of the Constitution. It goes without saying that there is no Constitutional Authority for the Department of Education.

However, it can be said that the DoE does not directly compete with private schools. That is done on a State level and can be considered permissible if the people vote to amend their State Constitution.

Well, it is quasi-government in that it has some law enforcement ability. But outside of that....Its pretty much a private entity now.

I doubt anyone is going to show up and answer My questions. Questions that should be put to the three stooges...

Obama, Pelosi and Reid.

well the government competes with private education ..... anyway it became legal when the did it...

Obama, Pelosi and Reid.

well the government competes with private education ..... anyway it became legal when the did it...

Well, not directly. And simply because they do it does NOT make it legal. It just means that no one has really challenged it.

Public schools.
A violation of the Constitution. It goes without saying that there is no Constitutional Authority for the Department of Education.

However, it can be said that the DoE does not directly compete with private schools. That is done on a State level and can be considered permissible if the people vote to amend their State Constitution.

Public schools are unconstitutional? What does that even mean? The Department of Education is unconstitutional? When was that decision rendered?

Obama, Pelosi and Reid.

Well, not directly. And simply because they do it does NOT make it legal. It just means that no one has really challenged it.

Actually the way it works is that it IS legal unless successfully challenged.

The Dept. of Defense, btw, runs a school system for military dependents overseas.

West Point and the other academies are government run schools.

In fact the entire military is replete with various jobs doing work that competes with the private sector.

I wonder if Pres O will overhaul the auto insurance industry next? It's already illegal not to have it, so prices are higher than they should be. Maybe they can offer a public option for that too so we can ALL afford good comprehensive auto insurance.

Does anything actually become legal?

If something has never been done before, is it by default illegal?

No, It did not. The Postal Service does not compete with private industry. No other corporation provides letter service in this country AND the Postal Service is no longer a government agency.

Why do you have to be contrary when someone proves you wrong?

Since when does the Postal Service not compete with UPS or FedEx?

As for letter service...

UPS%20Letter.gif

shared_packaging_ltr.gif

or government owned prisons and privately owned prisons
government rehabs and private rehabs
then there is BLM land and private ranch land

but I guess Obama invented this.

Forum List

Back