Just One Question - Jesus Said "For....."

AVG-JOE

American Mutt
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2008
Your Imagination
Mat 26:11 "For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always."

Mar 14:7 "For ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: but me ye have not always."

Jhn 12:8 "For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always."

Three out of four Gospels, all red letter statements. If He's real, Jesus must have uttered those words...

A one word query.....

Why?

Why must this planet always have misery?

Last edited:
Original sin.

We had our shot at paradise with Adam and Eve until they fucked it up. But the thing is:

God supposedly made Adam & Eve in his image.
God has Omnipotent and is Omniscient. So he would logically know that Eve would eat the apple and then have Adam eat it.
Plus, if we are made in God's image, then so is our nature.

So if you look at it in a way, God is a sadist of sorts. Not saying he is, but damned if it doesn't sound screwy.

Last edited:

Mar 14:7 "For ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: but me ye have not always."

Three out of four Gospels, all red letter statements. If He's real, Jesus must have uttered those words...

A one word query.....

Why?

I guess it was Jesus' will.

A one word query.....

Why?

I guess it was Jesus' will.

Again...

Why?

Did Jesus tell us to ignore those less fortunate than ourselves in general, or just when He is part of our lives?

Perhaps it's just when He is in the room; but, if He's 'everywhere'....?

And to what purpose? Why should we simply accept that life is sometimes brutally unfair?

A one word query.....

Why?

Sin.

But the story you're quoting has little to do with the poor directly. A woman poured expensive perfume onto Jesus' head and worked it into his hair. Why? This was the way the dead were prepared for burial. She understood that the cross was where Jesus was headed, but His disciples didn't understand. Only the woman understood that Jesus would not always be with the disciples.

Look at it in the context of these passages:

"He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God."
Proverbs 14:31

"I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." Matthew 25:40

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27

Sin brings misery, but it is our job to help the needy.

A one word query.....

Why?

Sin.

But the story you're quoting has little to do with the poor directly. A woman poured expensive perfume onto Jesus' head and worked it into his hair. Why? This was the way the dead were prepared for burial. She understood that the cross was where Jesus was headed, but His disciples didn't understand. Only the woman understood that Jesus would not always be with the disciples.

"He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God."

"I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." Matthew 25:40

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27

I did take my OP a bit out of context, eh? :redface:

I'd still like to know why it seems like humanity seems to have something against helping each other out as a group when helping each other out as individuals seems so noble.

A one word query.....

Why?

Sin.

I did take my OP a bit out of context, eh? :redface:

I'd still like to know why it seems like humanity seems to have something against helping each other out as a group when helping each other out as individuals seems so noble.

Not sure I get your last question. Isn't what is going on in Haiti an example of groups helping a group? And don't most people want to help, in some way?

Re your OP, I heard a pastor say once that an important theme in that passage is Judas's reaction to the woman's having anointed Jesus. Judas scolded her for wasting valuable perfume that he said could have been sold to help the poor. (Sound familiar?)

Jesus's reply was that she had done a beautiful thing, in that JC would not be corporeally among us forever, while the poor would be.

So why will there always be poor among us? Hard luck, I suppose. Laziness in some cases, and a willingness to be poor, a carelessness in not having been born well. Bad decisions. Addictions to whatever. Oh and being money-stupid. ("A fool and his money are lucky enough to get together in the first place.")

I can't recall which GOP politician said it, maybe Kemp or Gingrich, but one thing we can aim for is not to have the same poor always among us, meaning we can help lift from poverty those who have fallen into it.

Why is there goodness in the world?

I think this can be a really good discussion. I think you have raised a question with a sincere desire to find answers. Finding the answers will not be of any value is we don't seek to understand them, and then accept them.

The one-word answer that was given was "sin". and that is a correct answer. However, it is filled with new questions that demand clarification.

Sin effects our relationship with God, but it also effects our relationship with mankind and all of creation.

Remember the curse that God proclaimed upon mankind, and womankind after the initial sin? Pain in chiuld birth, hard work to earn a living, the ground was cursed so that man had to figure our ways to make it productive, even the snake was cursed.

All of these together have proven to make it tough to scratch our a living in this world. Some of the poverty in the world is caused by personal responses to these curses. Those personal responses include rebellion, laziness, anger, and even greed. Some of those same things have brought nations down as well. Nations are in poverty because the leaders want to keep them that way. Haiti is an example of a people who had no leadership, a cursed ground, and and angry earth. Yes, the whole nation suffers because of a few, sometimes.

In Haiti there ar many Christians who have discovered that there is a Spiritual side of life that is able to survive through the world's hard times. In other poor countryes, I have noticed that the people are finding contentment and even happiness and joy in their relationship with thepeople around them, and their ability to make the best of what they have rather than cry and complain.

Sin and man's response to sin is where we need to look when we ask this particular why. God, in His wisdom, does have a plan dna a way of escaping the torment of sin's consequences. God is a personal God and does seek a relationship with each of us. That relstioanhip does make a real difference. (another subject, another time)

A one word query.....

Why?

Because humans are a defective species.

A one word query.....

Why?

So that we might learn charity.

Note, charity.... not wealth redistribution. Jesus said 'whatever you do unto the least of these, you do unto me'. Every time we help our fellow man, it teaches us about what is really important in life.

Note, charity.... not wealth redistribution. Jesus said 'whatever you do unto the least of these, you do unto me'. Every time we help our fellow man, it teaches us about what is really important in life.
//

Yes. I do not believe in God or heaven or hell, however whatever else he may have been, jjesus was a great humanitarian the only got violent once while running the moneychangers from the temple. And for that the Jewish religious leaders got him crucified.

//

Yes. I do not believe in God or heaven or hell, however whatever else he may have been, jjesus was a great humanitarian the only got violent once while running the moneychangers from the temple. And for that the Jewish religious leaders got him crucified.

Jesus was either:

a. the Son of God
b. a liar

I believe He is A. What anyone else chooses to believe is entirely their business.

Forum List

Back