Just need to vent - I LOATHE my co-workers...

Abbey Normal said:
I've never had a bread bowl; do you mean soup inside a carved out round loaf of bread?

Oh Abbey, *drooling*, Panera has a great bread bowl, Broccholi Cheddar Soup. Mmmmm

Abbey Normal said:
There is no shortage of jerks in the world. If I were you, next time I would bring in a can of Spam and laugh all the way to my desk.
PS to Clay: I could never complain about any bread from Panera. Yum. Send it over here, would you?

:rotflmao:

rtwngAvngr said:
Bingo. Don't works so hard for people who don't care. I know you're just trying build a sense of community and friendship at work, but these people don't deserve your attentions. They're cads.

I just figured I would give my generosity towards the clods one last time, just to see.

Tim says they don't deserve my cooking! I love him, he's so good to me.

Kathianne said:
Oh Abbey, *drooling*, Panera has a great bread bowl, Broccholi Cheddar Soup. Mmmmm

Wow a soup I can eat in a bread bowl! [Irish Accent](I have been cursed with an allergy to the potato.)[/Irish Accent]

I like bisque in bread bowls as well. mmmmm...Lobster bisque....AchcAchch! :picture slobbering smilie here:

fuzzykitten99 said:
I just figured I would give my generosity towards the clods one last time, just to see.

Tim says they don't deserve my cooking! I love him, he's so good to me.

For every nice person there is in the world, there are about 5 that just don't care and 4 who are gigantic jerks, and most of the ones who don't care are stupid. There's a woman at my work who would rather walk halfway across the store to get somebody to serve a customer than do it herself, unless it's a friend, in which case she usually gives out some extra food for free.

There's also a complete dolt who works there. She's late half the time, lazy, gluttonous (fat as hell, to boot), and the other day, she screwed up a $300 order because she never asked how to do it even though she had no clue.

Now, every once in a while, you'll run into a concentration of good people. However, when you run into a concentration of jerks, there's just not a whole lot you can do.

Hobbit said:
For every nice person there is in the world, there are about 5 that just don't care and 4 who are gigantic jerks, and most of the ones who don't care are stupid. There's a woman at my work who would rather walk halfway across the store to get somebody to serve a customer than do it herself, unless it's a friend, in which case she usually gives out some extra food for free.

There's also a complete dolt who works there. She's late half the time, lazy, gluttonous (fat as hell, to boot), and the other day, she screwed up a $300 order because she never asked how to do it even though she had no clue.

Now, every once in a while, you'll run into a concentration of good people. However, when you run into a concentration of jerks, there's just not a whole lot you can do.

my last job, all my co-workers were nice, and i enjoyed working with them. I only took this job because the drive was not as long, and it was a tad more $. Plus the job itself is less stressful.

I don't know...I just can't comprehend how my whole dept (except 2) can be the rudest, most inconsiderate people I have ever met. The other part of the office, the adjusters (known here as IR), are nice, but I don't associate with them much because my job (auto accident med bills) doesn't have much to do with their area. I don't know if these people do this intentionally, or they are just plain rude because they have no manners, and don't care about people other than their little 'cliques'.

I feel like its my fault half the time, because I am more blunt and tend not to sugar coat stuff, and I usually will not say anything and remain quiet rather than saying what I feel or think because of the way the people are. Its like they can't take the truth (or even just one person's opinion) about anything without the spoonful of sugar.

Plus I have interests that I don't seem to share with anyone else here, with the exception of a few people, and those are not in my dept. You know how many blank looks I would get if I were to talk about the Nascar Nextel Cup standings? Or the latest on West Nile Virus threat to horses? Or the most recent Harry Potter news? Unless the conversation includes gossip about either another co-worker, or a celebrity (like I truly care!), its like they don't seem interested. Maybe its because I get along with guys better than women, and my dept. of 50 people has a grand total of 3 guys, 2 of which I am sure are gay, so they are not likely interested in NASCAR, or anything else I like. The other guy, I am not sure what he likes, because he tends to keep to himself a lot.

fuzzykitten99 said:
my last job, all my co-workers were nice, and i enjoyed working with them. I only took this job because the drive was not as long, and it was a tad more $. Plus the job itself is less stressful.

I don't know...I just can't comprehend how my whole dept (except 2) can be the rudest, most inconsiderate people I have ever met. The other part of the office, the adjusters (known here as IR), are nice, but I don't associate with them much because my job (auto accident med bills) doesn't have much to do with their area. I don't know if these people do this intentionally, or they are just plain rude because they have no manners, and don't care about people other than their little 'cliques'.

I feel like its my fault half the time, because I am more blunt and tend not to sugar coat stuff, and I usually will not say anything and remain quiet rather than saying what I feel or think because of the way the people are. Its like they can't take the truth (or even just one person's opinion) about anything without the spoonful of sugar.

Plus I have interests that I don't seem to share with anyone else here, with the exception of a few people, and those are not in my dept. You know how many blank looks I would get if I were to talk about the Nascar Nextel Cup standings? Or the latest on West Nile Virus threat to horses? Or the most recent Harry Potter news? Unless the conversation includes gossip about either another co-worker, or a celebrity (like I truly care!), its like they don't seem interested. Maybe its because I get along with guys better than women, and my dept. of 50 people has a grand total of 3 guys, 2 of which I am sure are gay, so they are not likely interested in NASCAR, or anything else I like. The other guy, I am not sure what he likes, because he tends to keep to himself a lot.

Not to be a devil's advocate, but have you feigned any interest in what they have to talk about? Sometimes the best way to talk with someone about your own interests is to engage them on their interests first. I dunno, they might really be assholes for all I know. How do you turn down alfredo?

My sister was just looking for a recipe for plain alfredo sauce! It's like serendipity! She didn't like mine bc I never measure, and I always just add it to the noodles as I cook it. I have never tried garlic salt... good idea. I usually use nutmeg, pepper, plain salt, sometimes a dash of garlic powder. Glad you posted!

The ClayTaurus said:
Not to be a devil's advocate, but have you feigned any interest in what they have to talk about? Sometimes the best way to talk with someone about your own interests is to engage them on their interests first. I dunno, they might really be assholes for all I know. How do you turn down alfredo?

i tried when i first started, and also by just observing and paying attention to what they have up in their cube, how they dress, etc.

they just never seemed interested in actually talking to me unless they wanted something from me-usually to do some stupid task they obviously could do themselves.

GotZoom: I have been here appx 18months, since 7/04

fuzzykitten99 said:
i tried when i first started, and also by just observing and paying attention to what they have up in their cube, how they dress, etc.

they just never seemed interested in actually talking to me unless they wanted something from me-usually to do some stupid task they obviously could do themselves.

GotZoom: I have been here appx 18months, since 7/04

Have you been sacrificing any small woodland creatures on an altar at work? That tends to stear people away from you, a bit. ;)

They are just jealous of you. Obviously your happy marriage, command of the English language, intelligence, wit and overall "coolness" intimidates them.

GotZoom said:
They are just jealous of you. Obviously your happy marriage, command of the English language, intelligence, wit and overall "coolness" intimidates them.

I dunno about that. Most don't know me well enough to lead me to believe they are jealous of anything.

Honestly, I think they are so involved in their own worlds, they don't think about maybe making a new person feel welcomed and included. I have NEVER felt really welcome here. I told this to my supe last year sometime, and they obviously told my immediate co-workers my feelings, and for about 2 months, I could tell they were trying to do stuff like talk to me about other stuff than work, but they really sucked at it because I could tell they didn't really want to, by the way they acted. I played along, but I knew what they were doing, and that it wasn't genuine. Plus one of them accidentally kind of slipped by saying "You feel a part of the group?" or something. I can't remember the exact statement, but it just confirmed my suspicions about what they were doing.

I basically am just going to stick it out, and just ignore them all, because the disability payments for my maternity leave will be better here than if I take another job. I have had a few interviews, but nothing that really excited me enough to leave now.

Plus, I can't wait until the exit interview. I will be 100% honest and up front with all the BS that goes on here.

fuzzykitten99 said:
I dunno about that. Most don't know me well enough to lead me to believe they are jealous of anything.

Honestly, I think they are so involved in their own worlds, they don't think about maybe making a new person feel welcomed and included. I have NEVER felt really welcome here. I told this to my supe last year sometime, and they obviously told my immediate co-workers my feelings, and for about 2 months, I could tell they were trying to do stuff like talk to me about other stuff than work, but they really sucked at it because I could tell they didn't really want to, by the way they acted. I played along, but I knew what they were doing, and that it wasn't genuine. Plus one of them accidentally kind of slipped by saying "You feel a part of the group?" or something. I can't remember the exact statement, but it just confirmed my suspicions about what they were doing.

I basically am just going to stick it out, and just ignore them all, because the disability payments for my maternity leave will be better here than if I take another job. I have had a few interviews, but nothing that really excited me enough to leave now.

Plus, I can't wait until the exit interview. I will be 100% honest and up front with all the BS that goes on here.

Just be cautious of burning bridges unneccesarilly... you need to weigh whether venting at your exit interview is only to make you feel better, in which case it's probably better not to do it, professionally, at least.

A lot of places reek of this kind of b.s. A lot of it depends on the maturity and intelligence (to just name two things) of the other people in the office.

You have to "consider the source." Here are people who are more interested in gossip between themselves, their neighbors, and if that is boring, they bring all the "National Enquirer" celebrity gossip into play.

My suggestion would be to just do what you do...because it is you. Bring your Pasta Alfredo. Be gracious every day. Say hello and how are you. Be yourself.

If they don't like it, it is their problem.

Don't be a different person because "they" don't like it.

Abbey Normal said:
Is that the official name for a group of jerks? :D

How about a juggernaut of jerks, or maybe a jabbering of jerks?

A circle of jerks? :wank:

(too easy)

New Topics

Forum List

Back