Just need to vent - I LOATHE my co-workers...

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
As if the backstabbing, gossping, and just plain rudeness wasn't enough.

I work at an office where they let you decorate your area for holidays and really promote having pot lucks and such for Christmas and Halloween. I do like that part of the company.

Of course, today being Halloween, we have a pot luck going. Last year, I went through a lot of trouble (time and cost wise) to make my food items Harry Potter themed, even dressing up like Hermione.

I had a soap mold that was in the shape of a frog, so I made chocolate frogs out of chocolate almond bark, bought the authentic Bertie Botts every flavor beans, and made butterbeer (non alco) and everything. I got 2 people (out of appx 120) who actually said anything nice to me about it. Not that I expected to hear compliments, but you all know how nice it is to hear nice things about something you worked so hard on. My stuff was hardly eaten, but the excuses I got were 'there was so much food, blah blah blah'. The office staff is pretty big, and reps come in and out all day from other offices, so I don't think that's a valid excuse.

So this year, I thought I would keep things simpler. I decided to make fettucini alfredo. The recipe is pretty simple because I created it, and I made the recipe so that you could re-heat the dish, and it tastes just like fresh made, and even the texture is just like fresh.

I got up at 5am (normally I am up at 6), to make sure I was able to make the dish before I had to get DS up and get myself dressed. I had never made this much before, as I made 4x what I normally do, because I am feeding more people.

I get everything situated at work, putting the crock pot ceramic in the fridge with the noodles and sauce in it, because we don't eat until about 12 here, and I start at 7. So I planned to plug the crock pot in around 11:30, to give it enough time to heat up. I plug it in at that time, and I go into the party room at about 11:50 to stir the noodles etc., and I see someone has not only moved it, they unplugged it, and put THEIR 2 crock pots in place of mine, leaving it STONE COLD! The rudeness of these people never ceases to amaze me.

So you know what I was told to do? Put MINE in the lunchroom, at the opposite end of the office. "Oh, people graze all day, they'll eat it" Yeah sure they will! When the entire office knows the food is at one end, I doubt they will go all the way to the other end for anything else.

I am so glad I will not be in this office next year. The people here are so rude. I will either have gotten the position at our new office that is closer to my home, that is being built (and will be finished next spring), or I will be looking for a new job while on maternity leave. I just can't take it anymore.

Any more pot-lucks, I will either buy something generic, or not participate at all, because my efforts are never appreciated.

thanks for listening to my rant...and no, I am not hormonal. I would have felt like this if I weren't preggers. No responses are needed, i just needed to get this out of my system. I already was in tears over it once.

fuzzykitten99 said:
As if the backstabbing, gossping, and just plain rudeness wasn't enough.

I work at an office where they let you decorate your area for holidays and really promote having pot lucks and such for Christmas and Halloween. I do like that part of the company.

Of course, today being Halloween, we have a pot luck going. Last year, I went through a lot of trouble (time and cost wise) to make my food items Harry Potter themed, even dressing up like Hermione.

I had a soap mold that was in the shape of a frog, so I made chocolate frogs out of chocolate almond bark, bought the authentic Bertie Botts every flavor beans, and made butterbeer (non alco) and everything. I got 2 people (out of appx 120) who actually said anything nice to me about it. Not that I expected to hear compliments, but you all know how nice it is to hear nice things about something you worked so hard on. My stuff was hardly eaten, but the excuses I got were 'there was so much food, blah blah blah'. The office staff is pretty big, and reps come in and out all day from other offices, so I don't think that's a valid excuse.

So this year, I thought I would keep things simpler. I decided to make fettucini alfredo. The recipe is pretty simple because I created it, and I made the recipe so that you could re-heat the dish, and it tastes just like fresh made, and even the texture is just like fresh.

I got up at 5am (normally I am up at 6), to make sure I was able to make the dish before I had to get DS up and get myself dressed. I had never made this much before, as I made 4x what I normally do, because I am feeding more people.

I get everything situated at work, putting the crock pot ceramic in the fridge with the noodles and sauce in it, because we don't eat until about 12 here, and I start at 7. So I planned to plug the crock pot in around 11:30, to give it enough time to heat up. I plug it in at that time, and I go into the party room at about 11:50 to stir the noodles etc., and I see someone has not only moved it, they unplugged it, and put THEIR 2 crock pots in place of mine, leaving it STONE COLD! The rudeness of these people never ceases to amaze me.

So you know what I was told to do? Put MINE in the lunchroom, at the opposite end of the office. "Oh, people graze all day, they'll eat it" Yeah sure they will! When the entire office knows the food is at one end, I doubt they will go all the way to the other end for anything else.

I am so glad I will not be in this office next year. The people here are so rude. I will either have gotten the position at our new office that is closer to my home, that is being built (and will be finished next spring), or I will be looking for a new job while on maternity leave. I just can't take it anymore.

Any more pot-lucks, I will either buy something generic, or not participate at all, because my efforts are never appreciated.

thanks for listening to my rant...and no, I am not hormonal. I would have felt like this if I weren't preggers. No responses are needed, i just needed to get this out of my system. I already was in tears over it once.

Did you make the pasta and sauce separate, or was it all in one pot? And was the sauce homemade from scratch? You totally need to come to my office, all I get is Panera bagels every Wednesday.

The ClayTaurus said:
Did you make the pasta and sauce separate, or was it all in one pot? And was the sauce homemade from scratch? You totally need to come to my office, all I get is Panera bagels every Wednesday.

No kidding. Being a carb addict, I probably would have ate the entire thing after gourging on cake and stuff. Moooooo :cow:

The ClayTaurus said:

yes, it is all from scratch, except the noodles. sauce is made separately. noodles are from a box-i don't have that much time on my hands! :tng:

Here's the recipe it you want to try it:

1 16 oz carton whipping cream
1 stick butter (not margerine -too much oil)
2 Tbsp (more or less to taste) McCormick Garlic Salt (yields the best results for flavor)
1/2 cup (more of less to taste) Grated parmesan cheese (brand doesn't matter, though i found kraft works best)
dash of pepper
1 reg box of fettucini noodles (i like to use barilla)

About halfway through the steps, start boiling the noodles. I usually start the water boiling, and by the time I get to step 5, I can add the noodles.

1. Melt the whole stick of butter in saucepan on low
2. increase dial to med. and pour in the whipping cream
3. stir every 2-3 minutes, at the same time slowly increasing the dial to med-hi
4. add dash of pepper
5. keep stirring, and while doing so, add in garlic salt, 1/2 tbsp at a time. *grated parmesan has salt in it already, so you may want to taste test after each 1/2 tbsp garlic salt to make sure it is to your liking.
6. let sauce come to a boil (be careful not to boil over) for about 30 seconds
7. reduce heat, and keep stirring for about another2-3 minutes
8. let stand, and drain noodles.
9. dish up noodles, and sauce. the sauce will thicken as it cools.

makes about 3-4 servings, depending on portion size

fuzzykitten99 said:
yes, it is all from scratch, except the noodles. sauce is made separately. noodles are from a box-i don't have that much time on my hands! :tng:

2 Tbsp (more or less to taste) McCormick Garlic Salt (yields the best results for flavor)
1/2 cup (more of less to taste) Grated parmesan cheese (brand doesn't matter, though i found kraft works best)
dash of pepper

About halfway through the steps, start boiling the noodles. I usually start the water boiling, and by the time I get to step 5, I can add the noodles.

3. stir every 2-3 minutes, at the same time slowly increasing the dial to med-hi
4. add dash of pepper
5. keep stirring, and while doing so, add in garlic salt, 1/2 tbsp at a time. *grated parmesan has salt in it already, so you may want to taste test after each 1/2 tbsp garlic salt to make sure it is to your liking.

Thanks, I have some left-over cream from making mashed potatoes, so maybe I'll give this recipe a shot. Your work was not in total vain!

And you know the better way to think about things? If everyone there is such a jerk, you might as well just eat all of their food and then take home yours for you and yours to enjoy. You gotta think about it as them being so dumb as to miss out on alfredo from scratch instead of it being such a slight to you. Now you get a whole pot of alfredo to eat :) Positivity baby, there's an upside to everything :) You got a free lunch and now dinner is already made.

fuzzykitten99 said:

dash of pepper

4. add dash of pepper

either some in your company have a axe to grind or they are protein eaters...as for the axe to grind senerio not much ya can do...but if it was for lack of protein..try adding a equal amount of chicken breast chunks to the sauce...dunno...just trying to help!

There is no shortage of jerks in the world. If I were you, next time I would bring in a can of Spam and laugh all the way to my desk.

PS to Clay: I could never complain about any bread from Panera. Yum. Send it over here, would you?

Abbey Normal said:
There is no shortage of jerks in the world. If I were you, next time I would bring in a can of Spam and laugh all the way to my desk.

PS to Clay: I could never complain about any bread from Panera. Yum. Send it over here, would you?

Oh no complaints, we just only get it once a week, and that's just during football season. And we never get any hot food... I'm just greedy ;)

I'll send you an asiago bagel, those things are tasty.

The ClayTaurus said:
Oh no complaints, we just only get it once a week, and that's just during football season. And we never get any hot food... I'm just greedy ;)

I'll send you an asiago bagel, those things are tasty.

Why thank you, I'd love one. :cof:

Have you tried their veggie sandwich on ciabatta bread? Soooo good.

Abbey Normal said:
Why thank you, I'd love one. :cof:

Have you tried their veggie sandwich on ciabatta bread? Soooo good.

Yeah I don't do veggie sandwiches well...

My food needs a pretty high bad-for-you content to keep me happy :)

Now that it's started cooling off, I'm going to be sourdough breadbowling it as Atlanta Bread Company.

The ClayTaurus said:
Yeah I don't do veggie sandwiches well...

My food needs a pretty high bad-for-you content to keep me happy :)

Now that it's started cooling off, I'm going to be sourdough breadbowling it as Atlanta Bread Company.

I've never had a bread bowl; do you mean soup inside a carved out round loaf of bread?

Abbey Normal said:
I've never had a bread bowl; do you mean soup inside a carved out round loaf of bread?

Yesh. Especially good with chowders.

Or Chowduhs, if you prefer.

Abbey Normal said:

I <3 Panera Bread.

Every time I drive to Tulsa, I bring back a week's supply.

Their potato soup in the bread bowl.....almost better than...well, you know.

GotZoom said:
I <3 Panera Bread.

Every time I drive to Tulsa, I bring back a week's supply.

Their potato soup in the bread bowl.....almost better than...well, you know.

Yes, breadbowls are good for the thick soups.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh bread bowls

sour dough with a nice thick beef stew in it .... and a glass of vino ..... better than....well .... pea soup

fuzzykitten99 said:

Bingo. Don't works so hard for people who don't care. I know you're just trying build a sense of community and friendship at work, but these people don't deserve your attentions. They're cads.

Forum List

Back