Just liked this spider

The Infidel

EVIL CONSERVATIVE
May 19, 2010
AMERITOPIA
DSCN0154.jpg

DSCN0158.jpg

It is about as big as half my palm, but harmless as long as you let it be.... they catch lots of bugs and I usually just steer clear of them when I mow my yard.

As big as HALF YOUR PALM? Are you fucking kidding me? Where the hell do you live?

I get freaked out by spiders that are dime size...

I don't kill spiders outside and I like garden spiders, but that's no garden spider It's like some weird bird catching spider or something.

As big as HALF YOUR PALM? Are you fucking kidding me? Where the hell do you live?

I don't kill spiders outside and I like garden spiders, but that's no garden spider It's like some weird bird catching spider or something.

No, its just really big garden spiider. :eek:

Isn't that the Itsy Bitsy Spider I keep hearing so much about?

Probably so.... beauty is'nt it?

I had a black widow in a 2 litre bottle for nearly 2 years before it finally died.
Found it on Colorado and brought it home.

My wife was'nt too happy with that move. :eek:

Ive seen them like that on the farm in TX. Huge webs strung between the trees. They scare the shit out of me!

"It's good to have a spider in your kitchen and a snake in your garden." (Old German proverb.)

I came to appreciate spiders while on Okinawa in the fifties when we lived in dilapidated WW-II era quonset huts that would fill up with huge mosquitoes at dusk. We had to sleep under nets and use a hellacious government issue aerosol that burned the eyes and caused tubercular choking.

But for two cartons of Pall Mall (a buck a carton in the PX) the native mama-san who did our laundry brought us a pair of big brown and yellow spiders they called "dabu," which, when released from their can, climbed to a ceiling corner and began a web. Within two days their web was about 18" wide and was efficiently catching large numbers of mosquitoes (something on the webs attracted the mosquitoes). Within ten days there were great big webs in all four corners, the spiders had doubled in size and our mosquito problem was reduced to near zero.

It seems every fragile wood native house on Okinawa had its "dabus" living in the ceiling corners but was free of any other type of insect. So I don't share the average person's antipathy for spiders. I just give them a wide berth and let them do their job.

Forum List

Back