Just Joined Gun Owners Of America...

I doubt if Australia has much to teach the US about gun violence:

"The (US Civil War) war produced about 1,030,000 casualties (3% of the population), including about 620,000 soldier deaths—two-thirds by disease, and 50,000 civilians.[211]

"Binghamton University historian J. David Hacker believes the number of soldier deaths was approximately 750,000, 20% higher than traditionally estimated, and possibly as high as 850,000.[212][213]

"The war accounted for roughly as many American deaths as all American deaths in other U.S. wars combined."

American Civil War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMHO, any attempt to confiscate US guns would produce the Second Civil War.

I was referring to the ease with which the Australian government (with a list of gun owners in hand) summarily confiscated all legally-purchased and registered semi-automatic rifles and pump-action shotguns...
I don't think "ease" would apply in the US.
Private gun ownership is woven into the fabric of this country by the Second Amendment.
I don't believe Australia's Constitution provides the same protections.
Any government that tried to confiscate all semi-automatic rifles and pump action shotguns in this country would vanish from the page of time faster than Bibi peddling his bicycle through Tehran.
IMHO, the guns are here; they are not going anywhere, we are going to have to learn to live (and die) with that fact.

"Gun deaths by homicide, suicide or accident peaked at 37,666 in 1993 before declining to a low of 28,393 in 2000, the data show. Since then the total has risen to 31,328 in 2010, an increase of 2,935, or eight more victims a day.

"At the same time, violent crime and murder rates have fallen in the U.S., said Daniel Webster, director of the Johns Hopkins University Center for Gun Policy and Research in Baltimore.

"Homicides may be up this year, though the murder rate from 2006 to 2011 fell 19 percent, to 4.7 for every 100,000 people, Webster said in an e-mail..."

"“We haven’t had a year like 2012 for mass shootings before, with each one being more disturbing than the last,' Webster said. 'It’s harder to chalk this up to random acts than to flaws in our gun laws.'”

American Gun Deaths to Exceed Traffic Fatalities by 2015 - Bloomberg
Say that in 2014

New Topics

Forum List

Back