Just in! 4 Police Officers Slain!

I am a police officer and me and my partners will normally meat up in a diner or cafe for lunch or dinner. If you're on patrol you aren't going to get your food to go and take it back to your department to head back out. Especially if your route isn't in the area of your department, you are suppose to stay in your designated area.

I don't know why they would go out where you are unarmed, that doesn't make much sense to me

I am a police officer and me and my partners will normally meat up in a diner or cafe for lunch or dinner. If you're on patrol you aren't going to get your food to go and take it back to your department to head back out. Especially if your route isn't in the area of your department, you are suppose to stay in your designated area.

I don't know why they would go out where you are unarmed, that doesn't make much sense to me

I've seen it a lot in various travels in the States. I was in Forth Worth a few years ago and got picked up at DFW by a Forth Worth Sgt from their Association, he was on duty in uniform and apparently on gang investigation duties. We went for dinner at a really nice Mexican place and I was quite surprised that he would be permitted to do so. But a nice touch, while we were having dinner a lady came up and spoke to him and thanked him for his service.

Here in the metro area each patrol is given a designated area to patrol but when it comes to meal times they will travel back to the base or station for their meal. Their absence will be covered by a neighbouring patrol and the supervisor. We have two person patrols for gd, supervisors are solo. We are only armed when we are on duty and performing operational work, all other members are unarmed at all times. Downtown near HQ people will wander out from the building and head for one of the cafes that seem to have sprung up overnight. In uniform, unarmed as I said. I did make the point that the job here isn't as hazardous as it is in many parts of the US but that rule against taking your meal other than the base or station has been in place for many years to my knowledge.

I wonder now if many departments in the US will re-think this situation.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened before. I have to admit to being quite surprised at the way in which police officers in the US eat in restaurants on duty in uniform. I'm starting to see it here but it's mainly around HQ downtown and they go out for coffee (unarmed). If you're on patrol here you take your meal at your base or the nearest police station. And trust me it's far less hazardous in the job here.

The reason for the lower hazard to the police in Australia?

One I could cite is that I just googled "Australian Police Scandal" and the only thing it showed was the one about a fellow named Matt Brown, who apparently danced in his undies! The rest seems to be going back 12+ years, or 25 years, and so I tried you tube, and nothing there either! You guys have no videos of suspects being pounded by the police! The only mention I can find of an attack on police in recent times is about the Moorabbin Police murders and that was '98 and then the only one the Wiki shows other than that was in '88, The Walsh Street police shootings so there just doesn't seem to be the sort of rancor towards the police there that there is here!

It's nice to think that agencies there may have a better handle on managing their personnel. It is horrid here, and very sad for Americans that we cannot have a level of trust when it comes to those supposed to "serve and protect" and leads to situations where some in the country feel quite free and justified in attacking police and others in law enforcement.

That Us/Them mentality between law enforcement and the public does no one any good!

I think that here, in the US, the situation is made much worse because of prosecutorial misconduct, and there can be collusion with police officers. Prosecutors are re-elected by there conviction quotas. How they manage the job matters not, only the win record. It only takes a few of these cases to skew the perception that the public has!

I've seen it a lot in various travels in the States. I was in Forth Worth a few years ago and got picked up at DFW by a Forth Worth Sgt from their Association, he was on duty in uniform and apparently on gang investigation duties. We went for dinner at a really nice Mexican place and I was quite surprised that he would be permitted to do so. But a nice touch, while we were having dinner a lady came up and spoke to him and thanked him for his service.

Here in the metro area each patrol is given a designated area to patrol but when it comes to meal times they will travel back to the base or station for their meal. Their absence will be covered by a neighbouring patrol and the supervisor. We have two person patrols for gd, supervisors are solo. We are only armed when we are on duty and performing operational work, all other members are unarmed at all times. Downtown near HQ people will wander out from the building and head for one of the cafes that seem to have sprung up overnight. In uniform, unarmed as I said. I did make the point that the job here isn't as hazardous as it is in many parts of the US but that rule against taking your meal other than the base or station has been in place for many years to my knowledge.

I don't know if this is what you are talking about but the officers were not on duty yet I believe.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened before. I have to admit to being quite surprised at the way in which police officers in the US eat in restaurants on duty in uniform. I'm starting to see it here but it's mainly around HQ downtown and they go out for coffee (unarmed). If you're on patrol here you take your meal at your base or the nearest police station. And trust me it's far less hazardous in the job here.

The reason for the lower hazard to the police in Australia?

One I could cite is that I just googled "Australian Police Scandal" and the only thing it showed was the one about a fellow named Matt Brown, who apparently danced in his undies! The rest seems to be going back 12+ years, or 25 years, and so I tried you tube, and nothing there either! You guys have no videos of suspects being pounded by the police! The only mention I can find of an attack on police in recent times is about the Moorabbin Police murders and that was '98 and then the only one the Wiki shows other than that was in '88, The Walsh Street police shootings so there just doesn't seem to be the sort of rancor towards the police there that there is here!

It's nice to think that agencies there may have a better handle on managing their personnel. It is horrid here, and very sad for Americans that we cannot have a level of trust when it comes to those supposed to "serve and protect" and leads to situations where some in the country feel quite free and justified in attacking police and others in law enforcement.

That Us/Them mentality between law enforcement and the public does no one any good!

I think that here, in the US, the situation is made much worse because of prosecutorial misconduct, and there can be collusion with police officers. Prosecutors are re-elected by there conviction quotas. How they manage the job matters not, only the win record. It only takes a few of these cases to skew the perception that the public has!

The public attitude to police here is ambivalent sometimes but generally it's favourable. We have our fair share of scandals and there have been a few Royal Commissions aimed at improving things but they've largely failed (see the Wood Royal Commission in New South Wales) due to a misunderstanding of the culture. But here we only have police forces organised on state/territory lines (and one federal police force) and that makes the governance of police easier. Also no (overt) politics in the criminal justice system.

I don't know if this is what you are talking about but the officers were not on duty yet I believe.

But the point remains. Gathering in a public place, mindset is relaxed, conversation is directed to the centre so it can be shared by the participants, awareness of a threat is at low levels because the shared mood is, as I said, relaxed.

The guy that killed them must of had it in for cops, killing another one before they got him.

Forum List

Back