Just how safe are TSA scanners?

Now this is the first somewhat valid concern I have heard about the use of the security scanners.

At this stage it is kind of like cell phones and children using them and the possible risks of brain tumors and such.

Last edited:
TSA Scanners are the subtrefuge to divert attention away from their unwillingness to profile for likely terrorists.

Now this is the first somewhat valid concern I have heard about the use of the security scanners.

At this stage it is kind of like cell phones and children using them and the possible risks of brain tumors and such.

A John's Hopkins oncologist is guaranteeing someone will get skin cancer.

They say the risk is minimal, but statistically someone is going to get skin cancer from these X-rays," Dr Michael Love, who runs an X-ray lab at the department of biophysics and biophysical chemistry at Johns Hopkins University school of medicine, told AFP."No exposure to X-ray is considered beneficial. We know X-rays are hazardous but we have a situation at the airports where people are so eager to fly that they will risk their lives in this manner," he said.
The possible health dangers posed by the scanners add to passengers and airline crews' concerns about the devices, which have been dubbed "naked" scanners because of the graphic image they give of a person's body, genitalia and all.

Scientists Warn Naked Body Scanners May Cause Cancer | Civil Liberties | AlterNet

He is far from the only one sounding the alarm.

Nicole Brochu: Airport body scanners may pose a cancer risk, scientists say - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

The concerns about cancer from cell phones are trivial in comparison.

Last edited:
TSA Scanners are the subtrefuge to divert attention away from their unwillingness to profile for likely terrorists.

So true. We need to go with a plan similar to Israel's. We are still heading towards a true police state.....( all in our best interest, but of course ) :eusa_hand:

So true. We need to go with a plan similar to Israel's. We are still heading towards a true police state.....( all in our best interest, but of course ) :eusa_hand:

QFT.

Israel's methodology is far preferable to terrorizing 3 year olds and wheelchair bound grannies.

No matter how you cut it, the airport back scatter X-Ray machines use Ionizing Radiation,it is Accumlative, for life, and If it enters the bone it's there forever. They are saying it only penetrates a few layers of the skin,and at an energy level of 28Kev, consider a normal Mammogram which is about 22Kev, using a Molybdenum target in the x-ray tube. And this is FULL BODY, not just a breast.

The skin enterance shallow dose is of concern, higher than a mammogram, and for frequent fliers this may pose a higher health risk of skin cancer, in my opinion. I don't see any skin dose rates listed, maybe someone doesn't want the data posted?

I personally think the long term effects are going to result in many new cases of skin cancers and who knows what else.

I wonder who scans and pats down the TSA agents every time they show up to work? Shouldn't they be held to the same security levels as the fliers? Maybe they are, I am not sure.

For more info:
10 CFR Part 20--Standards for Protection Against Radiation

Subpart C--Occupational Dose Limits
10 CFR 20.1201 Occupational dose limits for adults.

After many years in this field we need more data, but here is some additional data for those that may be interest.

So long as we use these scanners...

Al Queda wind

people are scared

people are suffering and inconvenienced

they don't even need to attack us again to continue to control us

Al Queda and Big Brother (who wants more power) are winning; Americans are losing

I understand the concern about exposing people to xrays. Dun give a fuck as compared to the risk of exposing them to terrorists on planes, but at least it makes some sort of sense.

What I can't understand is the wailing over being scanned. So the TSA agents get to see an image of me nakkie? Is this what all the fuss is about? Who gives a fuck? What pussies Americans are -- better to be blown to smithereens than seen without clothing? Get a fucking grip -- or take the bus.

BTW, what is the Israeli approach to safe air travel? They certainly have a great record.

New Topics

Forum List

Back