Just how many jobs did Romney create?

How many people does Staples employ?

You can chalk up a large number of those to Bain's investment in that company.

I'm not convinced that logic will work when it comes to this topic. People will believe what they want to believe, no matter what the reality is.

They have over 2000 stores.

An average shift of a store of their size is about 15....including stock clerks, floor reps and cashiers.

SO each store likely employs at last 30 full timers.

That means they likely have 60,000 retail employees.

Of course this does not include executive office employees.

There is also the fact that when Romney was put in charge of the Olympics, it was running at a $400 million loss. When he was done, the Olympics had a raft of new sponsors and cleared a $100 million profit. Not only that, he raised an additional $225 million to pay for extra security required after 9/11. He broke the record for the most money raised by an individual for the Olympics ever.

So there is no basis to call him a 'liar'.
Sure there is. His claim is wishful thinking on his part.

There is substantial evidence of the value added by Bains to companies. Would that value add up to 100k jobs? Maybe. Maybe not. But most certainly, Bains (and therefore Romney) has had substantial positive input into the US jobs situation. And without using taxpayers money to investigate ants in Africa.

I wouldnt say it that way...

I would say....

Romneys experience as a venture capitalist affords him the knowledge of what creates jobs in the private secotor.

And that is exactly what we need rightnow.

The best the campaign has done: providing a list to FactCheck.org of recent or current employment at three big companies where Bain invested: Staples (SPLS -1.33%), which had 89,000 employees as of Dec. 31, 2010; Sports Authority, which had 15,000 employees as of July 2011; and Domino’s Pizza (DPZ -0.94%), which has added 7,900 jobs since 1999.

Sports Authority was a joint venture with other VC firms, and has had two other owners since Bain.

385 jobs lost at American Pad & Paper; 1,900 cuts or relocations at Dade International; more than 2,100 workers laid off from DDI Corp.; 2,500 cuts at Clear Channel Communications; and 3,400 at KB Toys.

In 1994, Bain invested $18.2 million in a manufacturing start-up, Steel Dynamics (STLD -4.42%), which now employs 6,000 workers. Another example of an employment hike at a Bain company: Epoch Senior Living, which grew from a few hundred when Bain invested $26.4 million in 1998 to more than 3,000 employees when it sold in 2007.

Did Romney really create 100 000 jobs?- MSN Money

Last edited:
Sure there is. His claim is wishful thinking on his part.

There is substantial evidence of the value added by Bains to companies. Would that value add up to 100k jobs? Maybe. Maybe not. But most certainly, Bains (and therefore Romney) has had substantial positive input into the US jobs situation. And without using taxpayers money to investigate ants in Africa.

I wouldnt say it that way...

I would say....

Romneys experience as a venture capitalist affords him the knowledge of what creates jobs in the private secotor.

And that is exactly what we need rightnow.

I would say both. :eusa_angel:

There is much that I disagree with Romney about... but, I do absolutely agree - right or left... right now, in this current environment, we absolutely need a cool business brain in the driving seat.

I still think you are confused as to how a VC firm works.

They create a business model.....and for as long as that business model works, whomever created it gets the credit.

If Bain subsequently changed the business model of...say...Staples....then yes, anyone with Bain at the onset of the venture are no longer associated with the success.

But Staples...Sports Authority...their business models have not changed since Bain entered....

So it is the business models devised under the guidence of Romney that continue to create jobs and success for Staples.
:lol: Bain disagrees with you.

I like you...so dont take this an an insult....

If you were in the business world as deep as I am...(but actually retiring as we speak).....you would understand why they are saying what they are saying.

two things...

1) they do not want Romenys political career to define who they are...they would like to keep out of the "negaitve limelight"

2) they do not want their reputation to be based on one that is no longer with the firm. They would like tobe seen as a great firm as they are today...not as they were....for they know that when his political career is over, he will likely be their competition.

It is not uncommon for companies to seaprate themselves form those that left and went into the media eye.
You can believe that all you want. Bain is in the business of making money, not creating jobs.

If you were in the business world as deep as I am...(but actually retiring as we speak).....you would understand why they are saying what they are saying.

two things...

1) they do not want Romenys political career to define who they are...they would like to keep out of the "negaitve limelight"

2) they do not want their reputation to be based on one that is no longer with the firm. They would like tobe seen as a great firm as they are today...not as they were....for they know that when his political career is over, he will likely be their competition.

It is not uncommon for companies to seaprate themselves form those that left and went into the media eye.
You can believe that all you want. Bain is in the business of making money, not creating jobs.

The same is true for every company, unless the company is a 'not for profit'.

The fact is that by investing in those companies, Bains not only made a profit - it created jobs. However much you hate that idea, it is the truth.

He says 100,000.

I say he's lying.

Anyone know if he created any jobs at all, and if so how many?

It's funny how it's SUCH a round number, isn't it? I mean, he didn't say he created 96,000 jobs or 108,000 jobs. It's 100,000. Now, what are the chances that the number would be such a round number? It's not likely. I think he just plucked the number out of thin air.

He says 100,000.

I say he's lying.

It's funny how it's SUCH a round number, isn't it? I mean, he didn't say he created 96,000 jobs or 108,000 jobs. It's 100,000. Now, what are the chances that the number would be such a round number? It's not likely. I think he just plucked the number out of thin air.

you have to be kidding me with that analysis.

Only a partisan hack would claim that he truly meant exactly 100K

He says 100,000.

I say he's lying.

Imagine the outrage if it works out that Bains created 99,999 jobs! :lol:

two things...

Yes it is in the business of making money.

And it makes its money BY CREATING JOBS.

He did not say he created jobs from a non profit standpoint.

He simply expressed that he has experience creating jobs in the private sector....and to take it one step further...he has experience taking a bad situation and making it a good situation as it pertains to revenue, jobs and growth.

Why you refuse to see that is beyond me.

Last edited:
He says 100,000.

I say he's lying.

He said over 100,000 jobs.

108,000 is over 100,000 right?

So is 100,001.

But in the business I had, we invested in over 100 different businesses and net-net, taking out the ones where we lost jobs and those that we added, those businesses have now added over 100,000 jobs.

New Hampshire debate transcript.

Imagine the outrage if it works out that Bains created 99,999 jobs! :lol:

the difference between Ravi and Mustang is that Ravi offers a very valid debate based on her perception and ideology...and applies her intelligence.

Mustang looks for gaffes and loopholes...a debate like this is way too deep for him.

He says 100,000.

I say he's lying.

Is that you Rachel Maddcow? You a lie a lot yourself now don't ya? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
He says 100,000.

I say he's lying.

Not at all. Do you know what Romney and his associates essentially did at Bain? They were number crunchers. They took facts and figures about businesses and analyzed them to find the underlying value (or lack, thereof) of the company. Based on those numbers, they could have a reasonable expectation of whether or not they could make money (one way or another) from a buyout and an infusion of capital. What that means is that they didn't just cavalierly throw around numbers or deal with guesstimates. The didn't 'spitball' the numbers. They KNEW with certainty what the numbers were.

So, IF Romney really did create jobs, he should have a pretty good idea what those real numbers were. And if he doesn't have those numbers off the top of his head (which I could understand), he should be able to get his hands on a pretty accurate figure instead of just coming up with such an obviously manufactured number.

Forum List

Back