Just How Far Will The Left Go With it's "Hate Bush" Campaign?

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/7/20/134619.shtml

Tuesday, July 20, 2004 1:44 p.m. EDT
Glassman: New Book Talks of Assassinating Bush

Just how far will the Left go with its "Hate Bush" campaign?

Syndicated columnist James Glassman says way, way too far.

Noting that first there was Michael Moore's movie, "Fahrenheit 9/11," a crude quasi-Marxist fantasy about the war in Iraq filled with distortions.

Then there was the July 8 fund-raiser for John Kerry in New York, at which Whoopi Goldberg "fired off a stream of vulgar sexual wordplays on Bush's name in a riff about female genitalia," as one newspaper put it. Paul Newman said that Bush's tax cuts were "borderline criminal."

Now there is a book by a major publisher about two men having a conversation regarding killing George W. Bush.

One passage reads:

"He is beyond the beyond. What he's done with this war," rants a character named Jay. "The murder of the innocent. And now the prisons. It's too much. It makes me angry. ... I'm going to kill the [expletive] ... I'm going to assassinate the president."

The book is by Nicholson Baker, winner of the 2002 National Book Critics Circle Award and, writes columnist James Glassman in the Naples News, "a darling of the New York intelligentsia. Baker's bestseller, 'Vox,' which Monica Lewinsky gave Bill Clinton as a gift in 1998, was about phone sex between two 'obsessive, yuppie masturbators,' according to Kirkus Reviews."

Baker's new book, "Checkpoint," is about political murder, Glassman explains, calling Checkpoint "a long conversation between two men about assassinating President Bush. Yes, killing the sitting president of the United States."

One character, Jay, calls Bush "an unelected [expletive] drunken oilman" who is "squatting" in the White House and "muttering over his prayer book each morning."

He says Vice President Dick Cheney and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld have "fought their way back up out of the peat bogs where they've been lying, and they're stumbling around with grubs scurrying out of their noses."

Jay goes on to describe methods of murdering the president, including radio-controlled flying saws that are "ultra-sharp and they're totally deadly, really nasty." Other methods: a gun and a remote-controlled boulder.

Glassman then quotes this shocking statement from publisher Knopf proclaiming, "Baker wrote 'Checkpoint' in response to the powerless seething fury many Americans felt when President Bush decided to take the nation to war."

He adds, "(Never mind that the October 2002 votes on authorizing the president to use force in Iraq were 77-23 in the Senate and 296-133 in the House.)"

"I wanted to capture the specificity of that rage," said Baker. "How do you react to something that you think is hideously wrong? How do you keep it from driving you nuts?"

Simple. Get your hands on radio-controlled flying saws that are "ultra-sharp or a gun and kill the president because you don't like him. Shades of John Wilkes Booth."

Knopf, Glassman writes, expects a big initial sale, but "is clearly defensive. Says Knopf weakly, "Baker's book does not suggest violence is ever an appropriate response."

I guess this goes along the same line of the libs thinking "murder", (abortion), is nothing more than a matter of "choice".

The left is stooping to new lows never known to politics. Where will they stop? Is another Civil War imminent to stop them?

I think that if the situation gets much worse, there could be an armed conflict. Conservatives will win however, seeing as how liberals want stricter gun control.

Hobbit said:
I think that if the situation gets much worse, there could be an armed conflict. Conservatives will win however, seeing as how liberals want stricter gun control.

Don't confuse 'liberals' and 'gun-control' idiots. If it ever came down to an armed conflict you might well be surprised.

just make sure that neither you nor any of your friends buy the book.

the fucking bastards are sick. Neither the GOP nor it's supporters ever advocated killing Clinton.

Bullypulpit said:
As far as the right went with its "Hate Clinton" campaign.
I don't remember anyone wanting to kill President Clinton or her husband. Just wanted to send em back to Arkansas.

AS to liberals and gun control. I got a liberal buddy who is a great shot who just happens to believe he's the only one who "needs" an SKS. :dev3:

pegwinn said:
I don't remember anyone wanting to kill President Clinton or her husband. Just wanted to send em back to Arkansas.

AS to liberals and gun control. I got a liberal buddy who is a great shot who just happens to believe he's the only one who "needs" an SKS. :dev3:

I'd still like to have my .50 cal sniper rifle. :firing:

Regardless as to your stance on gun control, I thought if you ever implied in any way, you were even contemplating "KILLING" the President, your ass was grass, and the Secret Service was the lawn mower!

My point is, how do these sons a bitches get away with it?

most likely reason would be the first amendment, being that the writing of a character in a book contemplating presidential assassination is literature, so to speak. Since they have already imprisoned one person for writing down pedophile fantasies I don't think it will be too far down the road before writing about killing a government official will be down the line. Just be prepared for the reverse effect if a democrat should come into power.

Bullypulpit said:
As far as the right went with its "Hate Clinton" campaign.

Get over yourself Bully. Bush has never broken any laws or lied to the American People. And yet, there wasn't a fraction of a percent of hatred towards Clinton as there is towards Bush.

DKSuddeth said:
I'd still like to have my .50 cal sniper rifle. :firing:

Barrett rocks. They are also doing a run up to replace the M16/M4 contenders. Oh yeah and since I am required to stay on topic: Writing about tagging the prez is protected by first amendment already so long as the book is published as fiction. If published as nonfic then its a conspiracy and PR gets to find a lawn mower.

Hobbit said:

I have both hand guns and long guns and am proficient in their use. I firmly believe in the right to keep and bear arms. It's the idiots who can't handle the responsibility who give those of us willing and able to assume said resposibility a bad rap.

insein said:
Get over yourself Bully. Bush has never broken any laws or lied to the American People. And yet, there wasn't a fraction of a percent of hatred towards Clinton as there is towards Bush.

You ARE delusional.

Forum List

Back