Just How Big Is Wal-Mart?

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
Just how big is Wal-Mart ?

Something To Think About?

90% of Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart.

1.. At Wal-Marts Americans spend $36,000,000 every hour of every day.

2.. This works out to $20,928 of profit every minute!!!

3.. Wal-Mart will sell more by St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.

4.. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.

5.. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private employer.

6.. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the World.

7.. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.

8.. During this same period, 31 Supermarket chains sought bankruptcy (including Winn-Dixie).

9.. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

10.. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the United States of which 1,906 are SuperCenters; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 years ago.

11.. This year, 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur at a Wal-Mart store ( Earth's population is only 6.5 billion ).

Pale Rider said:
5.. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private employer.

6.. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the World.

This is why the Left hates Walmart: they are a prime example of the success of capitalism. And oh, by the way, that's 1.6 million jobs created by Walmart.

Hobbit said:
Do I hear the sound of the South rising again? Remember, it all started in Bentonville, AR. And that ain't Arizona.

Well... I live in Nevada. :poke:

gop_jeff said:
This is why the Left hates Walmart: they are a prime example of the success of capitalism. And oh, by the way, that's 1.6 million jobs created by Walmart.

I had a lot of critizism of Wal Mart during Christmas, but other than that, I have none. More power to them.

I shop there, mainly because 90% of the time they're the cheapest. Sometimes they're not, but it's rare.

I taped a 60 minutes programme awhile back about the Chinese economy. The reporter said that 5% of ALL products made in China went to Walmart. I rewound the tape to double check what he said, and that is exactly what he said. No exceptions. Dunno how true it is, but thought it was an incredible stat...

It doesn't matter what dirt anyone has on wal-mart, I'll still shop there. Until "private, family owned businesses" have prices cheaper than wal-mart, I'll shop there.

gop_jeff said:

No... people dislike Wal-Mart because they destroy the character of the communities they go into and their employees end up using government health care to supplement what Wal-Mart doesn't give them.

jillian said:
No... people dislike Wal-Mart because they destroy the character of the communities they go into and their employees end up using government health care to supplement what Wal-Mart doesn't give them.

No employer gives their employees health care. The employee earns it and they are free to search for employment that does have health care as part of the compensation.

jillian said:

MtnBiker summed it up pretty well..

You are not "entitled" to healthcare just because you have a job. Wal-mart gives you precisely what is required of them - your paycheck in return for showing up as scheduled, and doing your job to the best of your ability (whatever that may be).

We have a Super Wal-mart, and it doesn't seem to have "destroyed" our community any. In fact, because of its presence, we're starting to see new businesses come in.. (which means my little hick town is going to be in the big league some day! W000000000t!)

Shattered said:
MtnBiker summed it up pretty well..

You are not "entitled" to healthcare just because you have a job. Wal-mart gives you precisely what is required of them - your paycheck in return for showing up as scheduled, and doing your job to the best of your ability (whatever that may be).

We have a Super Wal-mart, and it doesn't seem to have "destroyed" our community any. In fact, because of its presence, we're starting to see new businesses come in.. (which means my little hick town is going to be in the big league some day! W000000000t!)

I suppose if you think people shouldn't have health coverage, that's all well and good. Me? I don't think my tax dollars should have to pay for health benefits so Sam's family can get richer.

As for the communities, I suppose that's easy enough to say if you didn't own the local grocery or hardware store before Wal-Mart came in.

I don't live near a Wal-Mart.... now Target on the other hand....

jillian said:
I suppose if you think people shouldn't have health coverage, that's all well and good. Me? I don't think my tax dollars should have to pay for health benefits so Sam's family can get richer.

As for the communities, I suppose that's easy enough to say if you didn't own the local grocery or hardware store before Wal-Mart came in.

Like I said...you're not entitled to anything more than a paycheck from the company you work for.. Anything else you receive is called a "benefit", which they are not obligated to provide for you. Nobody is obligated to pay for your heathcare except for YOU, should you decide you want/need it.

Incidently, the local hardware store is doing just fine..They found their niche by offering services that Wal-Mart doesn't offer.

jillian said:

Communities have stores that compete with Wal-Mart quite well. There is a Super Target right next door to Super Walmart here. When they asked the Target corporate folks if they were worried about being next door to Wal-Mart, they replied, "No, we cater to a different clientel."

And they are right. Within 5 miles there are 4 grocery stores, Super Target, regular Target, Super Walmart, Costco, Sams, and 3 family owned grocery stores.

They are all doing quite well.

As to health insurance, if the company wants to provide insurance to their employees, then so be it. If not, so be it. If the employees don't like it, they can find another job.

My company provides insurance (80% - employees and 100% for Senior Staff) for everyone we have working for us. The company's share alone is over $87,000.00 PER MONTH.

We are no where near as big as Walmart.

If you don't like the way Sam Walton does business, shop somewhere else.

Shattered said:
Like I said...you're not entitled to anything more than a paycheck from the company you work for.. Anything else you receive is called a "benefit", which they are not obligated to provide for you. Nobody is obligated to pay for your heathcare except for YOU, should you decide you want/need it.

How do you do that on minimum wage?

Incidently, the local hardware store is doing just fine..They found their niche by offering services that Wal-Mart doesn't offer.

I'm glad to hear that. Maybe the area you live in is big enough and populated enough to sustain all of those uses. But how do you explain all the people who talk about their towns being ruined by it.

jillian said:

Not my problem.. Further your education so that you can make more money, or get a minimum wage job that offers full benefits. (There's *plenty* of free education out there for people that can't afford to pay for it. Get off your ass, and stop expecting the world to take care of you).

I'm glad to hear that. Maybe the area you live in is big enough and populated enough to sustain all of those uses. But how do you explain all the people who talk about their towns being ruined by it.

I explain that as just talk from people such as yourself that think they should have everything handed to them, or people feeling sorry for them just because someone else comes along with a better idea/product for less money, and acts upon it. Incidently, my "town" is a whopping...what...12,000 people? And I think even that's a stretch..

jillian said:

Stay on your job, become more educated and trained, be responsibile with your money, make sacrifices.

You know...work hard.

jillian said:

A lot of them join the "We Hate Wal-Mart" bandwagon. There are towns that Wal-Mart changed their minds about after the townspeople got together and complained at zoning and city council meetings.

I don't shop at Wal-mart that often because I have so many other choices.

But you know what? Wal-Mart has just as much right to run a business as anyone else does.

Shattered said:
Not my problem.. Further your education so that you can make more money, or get a minimum wage job that offers full benefits. (There's *plenty* of free education out there for people that can't afford to pay for it. Get off your ass, and stop expecting the world to take care of you).

A bit harsh. How is "the world [taking] care of you" if you want to make a living wage. And guess what? Wal-Mart is the largest employer in the U.S., so you're talking about people giving up the available jobs in their areas.

It's very easy to talk about getting educated, etc., but in a world where student loans are being cut, the cost of college is sky-high, and medical care is the single largest reason for the filing of bankruptcy petitions, it's kind of putting your head in the sand. Also, we ARE paying for Wal-Mart's employess. I have no problem with Sam's family being rich and getting richer. I don't feel like subsidizing them.

I explain that as just talk from people such as yourself that think they should have everything handed to them, or people feeling sorry for them just because someone else comes along with a better idea/product for less money, and acts upon it. Incidently, my "town" is a whopping...what...12,000 people? And I think even that's a stretch..

Funny...I don't believe people should have things "handed" to them at all. But nor do I think we should subsidize mega corporations who don't need our subsidies. Given a choice between helping people and helping the elite, I'd rather help people.

jillian said:
A bit harsh. How is "the world [taking] care of you" if you want to make a living wage. And guess what? Wal-Mart is the largest employer in the U.S., so you're talking about people giving up the available jobs in their areas.

It's very easy to talk about getting educated, etc., but in a world where student loans are being cut, the cost of college is sky-high, and medical care is the single largest reason for the filing of bankruptcy petitions, it's kind of putting your head in the sand. Also, we ARE paying for Wal-Mart's employess. I have no problem with Sam's family being rich and getting richer. I don't feel like subsidizing them.

Funny...I don't believe people should have things "handed" to them at all. But nor do I think we should subsidize mega corporations who don't need our subsidies. Given a choice between helping people and helping the elite, I'd rather help people.

The "elite" being what...the people that managed to get ahead in life? The people that saw an opening for something, and ran with it? Somehow, if you married in to that particular family, I think you'd be singing a different tune...

Forum List

Back