Just going to say, being a Christian in 2018 is very difficult.

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by shockedcanadian, Aug 26, 2018.

1. yiostheoy

yiostheoy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,000
    Try Deism.

It's guaranteed.

2. OldLady

OldLady Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,718
    No, I didn't!

As long as the Supreme Court has been interpreting it, the Court has been promoting the separation of church and state. At least that is what I've heard.

3. ding

ding Confront reality

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,251
    That's not correct either.

They used the 14th Amendment as a trojan horse.

That was wrong too. The 14th amendment was never intended to be anything more than it was.

First link explains the establishment clause. 2nd link confirms Jefferson agreed that it rests with the states. 3rd link explains how the people who wrote the 14th amendment never intended it to apply to the establishment clause.

Understanding the First Amendment’s Religion Clauses

Amendment I (Religion): Thomas Jefferson to Rev. Samuel Miller

The 14th Amendment and the Bill of Rights | Tenth Amendment Center

4. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,940
    Turning the other cheek does not mean you have to ignore the natural inclination to describe what you are observing. Jesus called the self righteous hypocrites of the day vipers. To turn the other cheek actually means to become more obstinate or firm for that which is in your heart which you know is choosing what is good and correct. If you have given the right side perhaps the one(s) creating the disturbing issues need to see the leftt side.

5. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,987
    You had me worried there for a second. I was afraid you were going to say it was difficult in the sense of external hardships, such as persecution. In which case, obviously, modern-day Christians in civilized countries have it ridiculously easy.

But the internal achievement of actually behaving like a Christian? Yeah, I can see a case for its difficulty these days. Not sure if you and I are seeing the SAME case for it, but I can see one.

6. Cecilie1200

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,987
    Show of hands, everyone who was desperately panting after Reverend Loserstrata's guidance on Christianity. Anyone?

Nice showing today by Exhibit 1 of the trials and difficulties of being a Christian. The Apostle Paul would have already smacked her one.

7. Cecilie1200

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,987
    True that. My rule number one is STILL "Humans suck". The only thing they're perfect at is being imperfect. That's why the Bible tells us not to look to other people, but to Him.

8. Cecilie1200

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,987
    Nope, not in the sense it's meant today. The (incorrect) modern-day interpretation started building up in the mid-twentieth century.

9. Fort Fun Indiana

Fort Fun Indiana Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,794
    I imagine it would be somewhat hard to be a religious nutball of any religious stripe, in our modern, enlightened society. This, obviously,is softened by the fact that religious nuts are numerous, thus causing the major religions to get a pass they do not deserve in our enlightened society.

But...can you imagine some freak at the party insisting that he is the son of a god, or some freak at work insisting that his pet gerbil is a god and we all must worship it, lest we burn in eternal fire? Naturally, we would all at least roll our eyes at this freak, at worst laugh him out of the room.

Remember this, the next time a person insists you must bow to a zombie god who lives in the sky, lest you suffer for eternity. Take a step back and imagine how you would field such bizarre, laughable claims, if that person were not endorsed by a major religion...itself an artifact of ignorant, iron age people.

10. ding

ding Confront reality

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,251
    Enlightened like denying humanity of our most innocent and defenseless members of our society?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1