Just curious, How many of you have a 401k?

KMAN

Jul 9, 2008
Or is your retirement all in Social Security?

If you do have a 401k how is it doing since Obama took over?

I have a TSP. I kept it all in the low risk G Fund and actually made 445 dollars last year! Many of my friends lost 25-40 per cent because they were invested in the riskier funds.

I do! Do I win a prize???

When the Democrats took control of Congress in January 2007, I moved my money out of stocks. I'm doing just fine.

My 401K got cut in half under Bush and because of the GOP, who serve the rich bankers and oil men who really own this country.

Is that all Wallstreet has to do is crash the stock market and you'll turn the country over to them?

"Money is Power", or shall we say, "The Monopoly to Create Credit Money and charge interest is Absolute Power". (Alex James)

Amsel (Amschel) Bauer Mayer Rothschild, 1838:

"Let me issue and control a Nation's money and I care not who makes its laws".

Letter written from London by the Rothschilds to their New York agents introducing their banking method into America: "The few who can understand the system will be either so interested in its profits, or so dependent on its favours, that there will be no opposition from that class, while, on the other hand, that great body of people, mentally incapable of comprehending the tremendous advantage that Capital derives from the system, will bear its burden without complaint and, perhaps, without even suspecting that the system is inimical to their interests."

It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning. - Henry Ford

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their money, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them, will deprive the people of their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." Thomas Jefferson - 1802 in a letter to then Secretary of the Treasury, Albert Gallatin

"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. ... corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."
Abraham Lincoln - Nov. 21, 1864, letter to Col. William F. Elkins

Democratic Underground - A few quotes om this from people that knew... - Democratic Underground

wow that sucks... My 401k practically doubled until January 2007...

If Obama came out and said he was cutting corporate tax rates would stocks rebound some what?

Somehow, through no wisdom on my part, I have not participated in the meltdown of the market. Through some incredible timing and a little sheer laziness, I rolled my ESOP and 401(k) funds into my IRA about this time last year and never invested them. I then sold all of the stock I was holding in that IRA in preparation for buying something, but I got too nervous before I did it and just held off. Eventually, I bought 6 month CDs with most of it, to wait it out. One of the CDs the bank failed within 3 months. I got my money back from the FDIC. The other one matured in January.

My current 401(k), started last Feb., is up 6.75%. It was all in a bond fund. Sorry everyone is getting hammered. I learned my lesson in the Tech bubble.

wow that sucks... My 401k practically doubled until January 2007...

If Obama came out and said he was cutting corporate tax rates would stocks rebound some what?

He'll cut the corporate tax rate right after he cuts his left testicle off with dull, rusty blade. So, get that fantasy out of your head.

I have pension with a guaraneteed benefit that will pay me a guaranteed amount until the day I die. My Union fought for it, and obviously given current events a pension is better than a 401(k), given that we're in the throes of a second great republican depression.

You republicans hate unions, pensions, and worker benefitts....and you love the freedom of the market and making workers place their money in the stock market. I hope your 401s recover, I honestly do. And I hope you'll rethink your hatred for unions, and rethink privitizing social security and putting your FICA in the stock market.

I think I'll be fine with a pension and social security which wil pay me guaranteed benefit, unrelated to the stock market fluctuations.

I have pension with a guaraneteed benefit that will pay me a guaranteed amount until the day I die. My Union fought for it, and obviously given current events a pension is better than a 401(k), given that we're in the throes of a second great republican depression.

You republicans hate unions, pensions, and worker benefitts....and you love the freedom of the market and making workers place their money in the stock market. I hope your 401s recover, I honestly do. And I hope you'll rethink your hatred for unions, and rethink privitizing social security and putting your FICA in the stock market.

I think I'll be fine with a pension and social security which wil pay me guaranteed benefit, unrelated to the stock market fluctuations.

Are you going to be able to work until you are 75?

Never played the stock market, Never had a 401 K.. Saw a documentary once upon a time and in it was mentioned the fact that trillions and trillions and trillions of investor dollars have vaporized over the years, it's kinda like Vegas,, the odds are stacked in their favor.. Look right now GE carries a AAA rating,, it's stocks have fallen to 6.70 from what? 70? Imelt, the CEO has taken millions and millions in bonus' for his failure or should we say success at running GE right over the cliff. And guess who the obamalama puts on his economic advisors committee?? Yes! you guessed it Imelt.. Now why in this world would anybody take their hard earned money and put it in the stock market??

Just curious. How will your company pay your pension if the Obama policies cause the company to fail? And aren't most companies retirement accounts invested in the stock market?

Just curious. How will your company pay your pension if the Obama policies cause the company to fail? And aren't most companies retirement accounts invested in the stock market?

It's all reliant on the "hope" Obama ran his campaign on

Though the extreme partisan lefty should do the test on hoping in one hand and shitting in the other and seeing which one fills up faster

My 401k is small, and I don't trust the people who manage it. I have most of it invested in low risk bonds. Most of my savings are in bank CD's and my IRA account. Those are insured.

Like I keep repeating, I don't rely on others the responsibility of my well-being. I take matters into my own hand, and that's why I'm not in tears over the current economic situation.

Nope.

But I do have a coffee can half filled with spare change.

I figure at the rate I'm saving, and just so long as I stop washing my cothes and using up all those quarters, all I've got to do is save up that change for about 600 years and I'll be ready to retire in style.

Just curious. How will your company pay your pension if the Obama policies cause the company to fail?

The same way the companies who failed before Obama was elected will pay theirs.

Mine is down a third from its high, I'm buying low now so its actually better for my long term plan.

Its been down arround a 10th since Obama took office.

The stock market always does better under Dems so I hope Obama gets a second term.

If it takes 10 years to recover that is fine because I have like 15 till retirement, I also have three properties which are still all worth at least double what I paid for them. I' thinking of buying more because the market is so low.

who would pay it if these companies failed anyway?

who would pay it if these companies failed anyway?

ever heard of the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation?

Pensions are legal obligations that have to be paid out. Companies are required by law to set aside money to pay pension obliga tions. It doesn';t matter how the stock market does.

Anything's theoretically possible. The country could crash and burn, like Limbaugh and many republicans "hope" it does....and pensions obligations could be defaulted.

but there's almost zero chance of my pension being defaulted on. And liberals wisely instiuted tthe Pension Guarantee Corporation, for the rare times a major company ever defaults on pension obligations.

the bottom line is that a pension is not only superior to a 401k....its safer. There are cons at my work And if you asked them to trade in their gold-plated pension for a 401k, I can guarantee you with 1000% certainty, they would turn you down. They would rather have their nice, gold plated union pension.

Cons may hate unions and hate pensions. But when push comes to shove, Con prefer to live and work in the liberal world. Cons in congress talk the wonders of 401ks. But when Bernie Sanders introduced legislation to turn congressmen's federal pensions into 401ks, every republican senator turned down the opportunity to convert their pensions.

Forum List

Back