just bought German Shepherd

Discussion in 'Pets' started by barry_soetoro, Oct 2, 2010.

1. barry_soetoro

barry_soetoro Prince Larry

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just bought this dog for the kids, but I'm not sure how to upload video for it.:confused:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. RadiomanATL

RadiomanATL Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    Don't lie.

You didn't buy it for the kids.

We saw you with a jar of peanut butter when you left the kennel.

3. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    did you do any research on the breed? they tend to be nervous biters...i would not opt for this breed for children....

4. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    bones how can you trash talk Rin Tin Tin that-a-way?

Congrats, barry_soetoro. Gor-ge-ous doggies.

BTW, youtube has instructions on how to upload, and I think (?) you can do so with a program like Meep.com. I have dl'd it and feel safe recommending it to you.

5. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    honey hush and sit back while i trash them:

Even though on paper German shepherds account for more bites than any other breed several factors are never mentioned.

First, they are the most popular breed of dog in the world, hands down. If you have 100,000 GSD owners with a .5% bite rate, that’s 500 bites. If you have 1,000 owners of “breed B” even a 40% bite rate will still seem far less than the GSD bite rate.

Second, German shepherds are the most popular breed for protection work (including police and military). If a protection trained (civilian owned) GSD bites someone in the home with malicious intent – it is still considered a bite. The “statistics” do not discriminate between aggressive biting and protective biting.

There is also a very large issue with unethical breeders. As a breed becomes more popular, more unethical breeders pop up trying to cash in on the breed’s popularity. Unfortunately, most people wouldn’t know the difference between an ethical breeder and an unethical breeder. Unethical breeders tend to not care about health issues (and will usually deny any kind of health issues in their lines), the overall health of the dogs, their living conditions, genetic issues, and even who adopts them. They look at dogs as a paycheck and that’s it.

nervous biters.....

German Shepherds GSD as a pet?

if the fng has any sense...he would have a doberman

6. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    My dog was a Shepard mix, my brother's dog was a German Shepard he got at the pound. He couldn't spank the girls when the dog was in the house. I don't think there's a more loyal or protectful breed. As usual, I think it has more to do with how they're raised than their breed.

I miss the days when a dog would come to your back door and decide to stay. Man, those made the best pets ever.

7. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    When I was a cubscout leader, we had a man from animal control come in to talk to the boys about dogs. He said the worst biters were cocker spaniels, you know Lady, from Lady and the Tramp? Said if you had one of them you might as well just put them to sleep. He did not say anything bad about German Shepards as a breed.

8. Claudette

Claudette Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,784
    I've had GSD's all my life. If you get a good one you have the best all around dog on the planet.

There are crappy GSD's out there just as there are crappy dogs of all breeds out there.

My current GSD I got at the pound. Great little black sable female. We are currently doing obedience for the show ring. She will do super. She's smart and is well socialized with a great temperament. Just an all around nice dog.

The last GSD I bought was my Andy. Andy vom Bergenhaus was the registered name. He was one awesome guy. All German working lines. Rock solid temperment and an all around great dog. He was protective without being aggressive. Kids and adults were equally safe with this big guy, Of course that all changed if someone showed aggression toward me. Then he was all teeth and ready to go. 95 pound of rock solid. One truely awesome dog that I will miss forever.

9. Mr. Jones

Mr. Jones Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +161
    GSDs are awesome, I had one years ago that was very smart and protective of our family, she got old and sick and died. I currently have an Akita named Seigi (Japanese for Justice). Another good dog, very loyal, and protective, AKC registered. I found him while looking for a German Shepard.

10. L.K.Eder

L.K.Eder unbannable non-troll

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,856

german shepherds don't need videos. they need a lot of exercise.