Just Another Day in an American High School

Oh, with a cracked skull, you know. One girl goes to the hospital, mom is sure "the school didn't handle the situation correctly".

Yes, we know, always the school. Them teachers can't teach the three R's, keep students from beating each other down, instill basic moral values, also teach kids to brush their teeth, boil water and balance a checkbook....

Also, why is there a teacher shortage?

Right.

Cops find ‘no evidence’ of bullying after student has head slammed into wall

Right. So, a girl gets assaulted, attacked, brutalized, attempted manslaughter, the girl's life is in risk, she gets moved, no medical help is even called and the final insult, she is the one banned. And over what? Correcting a math problem. Ahha.

That isn't bullying, it is criminal assault. If a black had been the victim, it would be a federal "hate crime." And given the zero tolerance common in schools these days, the handling of it unthinkable. The parents need to sue both the other student and the school for criminal negligence and assault. Oddly, the police have to be dragged kicking and screaming to "look into it."

This is the kind of dirtballs the PSS is churning out these days as the future leaders of our country. Good luck with that.

You missed my point.

I am speaking here about what teachers are expected to deal with and witness here on the daily; I am not talking about how the admin handled the situation. Note my last question re: the teacher shortage. Teachers are expected to teach academic content to THESE STUDENTS, and also as I noted, moral content and content students used to learn at home, like how to cook and balance checkbooks.

The conservative answer is "well you suck so you deserve it". Okay. You realize everyone is leaving the profession, folks aren't coming in, and the only people you're going to get are people who suck WORSE. No one wants to think about how you're going to educate a whole generation of youngsters coming up with people who suck. No one cares. All right then, it's over.

But I knew that already.

Also, do you think zero tolerance is still a thing at schools? It's not. Hasn't been for years.

Agreed. If I were a teacher, I wouldn't accept those terms, I'd leave for a private school or find another job. It isn't like this stuff just started yesterday. So what is the solution if people keep leaving and it just gets worse? Good! Maybe then the government will GET THE FUCK OUT OF EDUCATION and leave it to the private sector to run right. When I was in HS in the 1970s it sucked, I went to a private HS and was all the better for it. The PSS is a flaming joke, as is the "school tax system" where a family of 12 pays no more to educate their kids than a single unmarried person with no kids at all.

Pay for private schools is much, much, much worse that public schools, and even that's not great. You realize this right? Also why are conservatives like us such cowards?

But at any rate it's too late. The attrition has started; the rot is too far gone.

Wrong. Private school for me was 10,000X better than public school. No contest. Let's make it an open market. You pay your taxes and get to CHOOSE which you want. Let the government system COMPETE to prove it is the better choice.

Oh, with a cracked skull, you know. One girl goes to the hospital, mom is sure "the school didn't handle the situation correctly".

Yes, we know, always the school. Them teachers can't teach the three R's, keep students from beating each other down, instill basic moral values, also teach kids to brush their teeth, boil water and balance a checkbook....

Right.

Right. So, a girl gets assaulted, attacked, brutalized, attempted manslaughter, the girl's life is in risk, she gets moved, no medical help is even called and the final insult, she is the one banned. And over what? Correcting a math problem. Ahha.

That isn't bullying, it is criminal assault. If a black had been the victim, it would be a federal "hate crime." And given the zero tolerance common in schools these days, the handling of it unthinkable. The parents need to sue both the other student and the school for criminal negligence and assault. Oddly, the police have to be dragged kicking and screaming to "look into it."

This is the kind of dirtballs the PSS is churning out these days as the future leaders of our country. Good luck with that.

You missed my point.

I am speaking here about what teachers are expected to deal with and witness here on the daily; I am not talking about how the admin handled the situation. Note my last question re: the teacher shortage. Teachers are expected to teach academic content to THESE STUDENTS, and also as I noted, moral content and content students used to learn at home, like how to cook and balance checkbooks.

The conservative answer is "well you suck so you deserve it". Okay. You realize everyone is leaving the profession, folks aren't coming in, and the only people you're going to get are people who suck WORSE. No one wants to think about how you're going to educate a whole generation of youngsters coming up with people who suck. No one cares. All right then, it's over.

But I knew that already.

Also, do you think zero tolerance is still a thing at schools? It's not. Hasn't been for years.

Agreed. If I were a teacher, I wouldn't accept those terms, I'd leave for a private school or find another job. It isn't like this stuff just started yesterday. So what is the solution if people keep leaving and it just gets worse? Good! Maybe then the government will GET THE FUCK OUT OF EDUCATION and leave it to the private sector to run right. When I was in HS in the 1970s it sucked, I went to a private HS and was all the better for it. The PSS is a flaming joke, as is the "school tax system" where a family of 12 pays no more to educate their kids than a single unmarried person with no kids at all.

Pay for private schools is much, much, much worse that public schools, and even that's not great. You realize this right? Also why are conservatives like us such cowards?

But at any rate it's too late. The attrition has started; the rot is too far gone.

Wrong. Private school for me was 10,000X better than public school. No contest. Let's make it an open market. You pay your taxes and get to CHOOSE which you want. Let the government system COMPETE to prove it is the better choice.

On average private schools pay at least $10,000 dollars less per year than public schools do. In a time of shortage anyway, and as a conservative, do you think this is the best way to attract and retain the very best teachers--by consistently paying them LESS money?

Right.

You missed my point.

But I knew that already.

And by the way, I have no problem with vouchers. But if a private school is going to accept public money, then guess what? They have to accept ALL students just exactly like the public schools do. No rejecting special needs or behavior problems. You get public money, you get "public" kids. Fair is fair, right?

You missed my point.

But I knew that already.

On average private schools pay at least $10,000 dollars less per year than public schools do. In a time of shortage anyway, and as a conservative, do you think this is the best way to attract and retain the very best teachers--by consistently paying them LESS money?

All I can tell you is that I got MUCH better teachers in private school, a much better education, they didn't need to be unionized and they had a great work environment that they ENJOYED working there! We all looked forward to going there. It was great. And if indeed they can do all of that for less money, that should at least make them competitive with the government run public school. In the end like all things, the free market will and should decide everything. BTW, having gone to private school, even TAUGHT there, do you have any actual direct experience with them? Hard to understand why a conservative would be arguing AGAINST competition and free choice.

You missed my point.

But I knew that already.

And by the way, I have no problem with vouchers. But if a private school is going to accept public money, then guess what? They have to accept ALL students just exactly like the public schools do. No rejecting special needs or behavior problems. You get public money, you get "public" kids. Fair is fair, right?

Oddly enough, the school I went to accepted special needs kids. I remember one autistic student there along with several behavior problems that the public school could NOT handle (and I assume threw out). The funny thing is that at the private school, all their behavior problems seemed to have gone away! Turns out that the biggest problem these kids had was a public school system too inflexible and artificial to meet THEIR needs instead trying to make kids fit into theirs, kinda like all government run entities!

You missed my point.

But I knew that already.

Oddly enough, the school I went to accepted special needs kids. I remember one autistic student there along with several behavior problems that the public school could NOT handle (and I assume threw out). The funny thing is that at the private school, all their behavior problems seemed to have gone away! Turns out that the biggest problem these kids had was a public school system too inflexible and artificial to meet THEIR needs instead trying to make kids fit into theirs, kinda like all government run entities!

Like the military, or is that an acceptable gov't run entity? I mean if you're going to say all gov't run entities are bad by definition, let's get rid of the justice system too, or the prison system, and privatize them.

Like the military, or is that an acceptable gov't run entity? I mean if you're going to say all gov't run entities are bad by definition, let's get rid of the justice system too, or the prison system, and privatize them.
Black and White reasoning. So you think the justice and court system is working well, running efficiently? Like all things government, it takes forever and costs a fortune to prosecute even a simple court case. But just wanting things to work well and privatizing things are two separate issues.

Black and White reasoning. So you think the justice and court system is working well, running efficiently? Like all things government, it takes forever and costs a fortune to prosecute even a simple court case. But just wanting things to work well and privatizing things are two separate issues.

It's not at all "black and white thinking". What it DOES is reveal where conservatives love them some government (prisons, military, the justice system) and HATE them some gov't (the "public school system"). It's all sloppy thinking and talking points. And it's infuriating.

To be clear: if I could go back years and years and prevent the gov't from taking over the school system, I would do it, the same way I am trying to prevent the gov't from taking over the health care system now. But to say ALL the millions of school teachers out there--from the high school teacher Leftist in Berkeley, CA to the first grade teacher whose husband is a pastor in Little Town Nebraska--are out to "indoctrinate" your child is just sloppy, and frankly really stupid thinking.

There are abysmal public schools that cats should not be sent to. And there are truly excellent public schools. But that's too much shaded thinking for modern conservatism. We think the same way about education as the Left does about law enforcement and ICE. To our shame.

Right.

You missed my point.

But I knew that already.

So, you want your tax dollars to pay for Muslim Madrassas that teach Sharia Law?

You missed my point.

But I knew that already.

That's anecdotal evidence at best and most probably a lie based on the fact that you were a student at the time and could not possibly see the entire picture.

I think the correct solution is to provide them with their own gun.
^ says resident of the only country where this regularly happens
No, not the only country. We have guns in schools in Afghanistan too. We shoot teachers with them as well.
That's true, we do love killing impoverished sand people in the Middle East.
See what your school education has lead to? Now what are those teachers worth?

Why don't you non-Americans just excuse yourselves from the conversation.
We are all Americans. The entire world is American. America is a state of mind.

Forum List

Back