Just another chapter, but what is next?

NBarnes12

Rookie
Jun 21, 2012
Liberals across America are championing their greatest achievement in recent history: Obamacare. Touting the fact that millions of Americans will now be covered and no longer will have to worry about acquiring a sickness that could be disastrous; this was definitely another chapter in healing the poor's challenges, Liberals thought.

But, wait a second. What looks good on paper, and speaking in generalities are very misleading. Despite everything the supporters of bills like these will tell you, the only thing they won't look at is the results. America still has a "poverty population" that is just as noticeable as it was 25+ years ago.

Food Stamps, Housing, Social Security, Welfare, Disability, Public Education, Unemployment Insurance, TDI, and Healthcare, are all programs intended to cure the problems we talked about earlier. On the contrary, they haven't resolved the problems that they were intended to.

However, we should all leave this aside for a few moments. My question to everyone is what is next? When do we stop handing out stuff to people and realize that enough is enough? It's a typical question everyone hears, but I'm ready to challenge the opposition.

Liberals across America are championing their greatest achievement in recent history: Obamacare. Touting the fact that millions of Americans will now be covered and no longer will have to worry about acquiring a sickness that could be disastrous; this was definitely another chapter in healing the poor's challenges, Liberals thought.

But, wait a second. What looks good on paper, and speaking in generalities are very misleading. Despite everything the supporters of bills like these will tell you, the only thing they won't look at is the results. America still has a "poverty population" that is just as noticeable as it was 25+ years ago.

Food Stamps, Housing, Social Security, Welfare, Disability, Public Education, Unemployment Insurance, TDI, and Healthcare, are all programs intended to cure the problems we talked about earlier. On the contrary, they haven't resolved the problems that they were intended to.

However, we should all leave this aside for a few moments. My question to everyone is what is next? When do we stop handing out stuff to people and realize that enough is enough? It's a typical question everyone hears, but I'm ready to challenge the opposition.

this is a legit question, but if ur stil asking u just dont get it Liberals wont be happy til we are Greece or worse off. Is this so hard to understand?

Instead of giving people a hand up out of a temporary bad situation, we give hand outs making it a way of life.

The only people who should be on the government dole for more than 2-3 years are those who are diisabled or elderly. We should have stopped giving incentives to stay at home and not work for a living long ago. Hindsight is 20-20. We do nothing for the country or the people by enabling their non responsibility to themselves or their families.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Instead of giving people a hand up out of a temporary bad situation, we give hand outs making it a way of life.

The only people who should be on the government dole for more than 2-3 years are those who are diisabled or elderly. We should have stopped giving incentives to stay at home and not work for a living long ago. Hindsight is 20-20. We do nothing for the country or the people by enabling their non responsibility to themselves or their families.

I agree with most of what you have to say. It has become a way of life for most of America, so it is almost impossible to pass bills that would cut those services. Also, there has to be a better way of giving disability checks out, that is an awfully run system.

The question usually assumes many things about the nature of America's poor as well as the effectiveness of punishing the poor for being poor, do you think making it harder on the poor makes them more responsible when people usually come to public assistance at low points in their lives as a last ditch effort to keep afloat? Ever fought your way off the bottom? Would someone making your life even more difficult have helped? Nothing helps but help, free advice to to suck it up and get a job does not count as help.

The question usually assumes many things about the nature of America's poor as well as the effectiveness of punishing the poor for being poor, do you think making it harder on the poor makes them more responsible when people usually come to public assistance at low points in their lives as a last ditch effort to keep afloat? Ever fought your way off the bottom? Would someone making your life even more difficult have helped? Nothing helps but help, free advice to to suck it up and get a job does not count as help.

Some people just don't understand. Facts are stubborn things.

Are you saying I do not understand something or are you just making a random, general observation of human nature?

Are you saying I do not understand something or are you just making a random, general observation of human nature?

Well your last sentence doesn't make too much sense. I hope you're not implying that people of my kind don't believe in help? The best help is no help.

Well your last sentence doesn't make too much sense. I hope you're not implying that people of my kind don't believe in help? The best help is no help.

Who exactly are you calling your "kind"? And no help is no help. The fact you are overlooking is that the same people who were on public assistance 25 years ago are not the same people who are on it today, people move off, people move on and the welfare queen is practically a myth. If there seems to be more now then the economy is producing more misery and less opportnity than it once did.

Last edited:

The Problem is we can not even have a Debate on the subject. Any Attempt to is Demonized and labeled as an attempt to take things from the poor so the rich can be richer.

The Right lost this PR battle long ago. IMO anyways.

What's next is the Bill for all of this outrageously reckless spending being paid for by many generations to come, and the inevitable status of the United States as nothing more than a Third World Country riddled with debt... I hope it was worth it.

The Problem is we can not even have a Debate on the subject. Any Attempt to is Demonized and labeled as an attempt to take things from the poor so the rich can be richer.

The Right lost this PR battle long ago. IMO anyways.

It's because they actually do that, repeatedly and unashamedly.

No, those programs haven't resolved any of the problems at all. For all the money we've spent since the 1960's in the War on Poverty, all we have to show for it is about a 2% decrease in the poverty rate.

No, those programs haven't resolved any of the problems at all. For all the money we've spent since the 1960's in the War on Poverty, all we have to show for it is about a 2% decrease in the poverty rate.

Poverty is the result of larger systemic problems that make opportunity sporadic and unevenly distributed. Social programs just treat a symptom of allowing so much chaos to exist in our system.

What's next? We return to the Lord our God and repent of our sins. That's the only way to fix our social and economic problems. Yes, I know it's radical and may be unpopular, but it's true.

When Ben Franklin urged the delegates at the Constitutional Convention to pray for guidence He stated:

I have lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth- that God Governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid?

If neither an empire, nor a Republic could rise without His aid, then why do we think we can fix the problems of our Republic and Restore it to it's proper place without imploring the aid of Him who helped us establish our Liberty to begin with?

What's next? We return to the Lord our God and repent of our sins. That's the only way to fix our social and economic problems. Yes, I know it's radical and may be unpopular, but it's true.

When Ben Franklin urged the delegates at the Constitutional Convention to pray for guidence He stated:

I have lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth- that God Governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid?

If neither an empire, nor a Republic could rise without His aid, then why do we think we can fix the problems of our Republic and Restore it to it's proper place without imploring the aid of Him who helped us establish our Liberty to begin with?

I feel the time for that has already passed for the majority. People's political beliefs, and the way they live their lives are no longer based upon principles, ethics, and morality... They are based on what's in it for me, who I can screw over, and the absolute avoidance of personal responsibility.

I feel the time for that has already passed for the majority. People's political beliefs, and the way they live their lives are no longer based upon principles, ethics, and morality... They are based on what's in it for me, who I can screw over, and the absolute avoidance of personal responsibility.

Yup. Those on Welfare have absolutely no incentive to get off Welfare.

Why the hell should they? The taxpayers are paying their rent. Buying their food. Providing their medical care. Hell. Its a hell of a deal for them. Someone else, i.e. the taxpayrs of America, have been forced to assume their responsibilities.

You and I might have to scramble to pay our bills but their little EBT card will always have money.

Hell of a deal with no incentive to end it.

Will you folks ever stop with this line of shit?

How many able bodied adult Americans are refusing to work and instead live off of our tax dollars?

How much of our GDP goes to supporting these lazy fuckers?

Your entire political ideology relies on this myth. Instead of being concerned about those who actually have the power and control over your economic reality, you choose to be fearful that someone less fortunate than you is grabbing at your stash.

I agree with most of what you have to say. It has become a way of life for most of America, so it is almost impossible to pass bills that would cut those services. Also, there has to be a better way of giving disability checks out, that is an awfully run system.

Most of America? Really?

Forum List

Back