Just a reminder

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
As the republican debates are carried forth I want to remind everybody that it is typically the press and MSM that asks and controls the questions in the debates. Eventually we will get to a point where the debates will be between Mr Obama and the yet unknown republican candidate.
Let's not forget that even high profile talking heads failed to ask important questions about the candidates views in the last presidential election and then publicly broadcast their ignorance and incompetence just a few days before the general election.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzMas1bVidw]Brokaw and Rose Admit They Don't Know Much About Obama. - YouTube[/ame]

It has been better in this campaign thanks primarily to Newt Gingrich who early on called out the media on their 'gotcha questions' whether it was Fox, CNN, MSNBC, or somebody else. I give him all the credit for the debates to be far more substantative than in years past, and less focused on the non consequential controversial stuff.

Nevertheless, the debates still offer little more than short sound bites and I think especially Santorum and Romney have diminished the positive effect by their incessant sniping at each other in recent debates. That has been a huge turnoff for me.

But you will see a definite shift once it is Obama vs the Republican nominee assuming that President Obama will agree to any debates which has yet to be seen. If he does agree to debates, I will be really surprised if Obama doesn't provide a list of acceptable questions and the order they will be asked so that he can have the answers memorized or loaded into his teleprompter. And I am guessing he won't agree to a Fox debate or any other in which he cannot strictly control the content. Obama is a disaster in any kind of extemporaneous situation, and his handlers simply won't allow that to happen.

So, my best guess is that if we look to the debates to make a difference, they'll make Obama look really good to his constituency, they will disadvantage his opponent as much as possible, and that's the way that cookie will crumble.

It has been better in this campaign thanks primarily to Newt Gingrich who early on called out the media on their 'gotcha questions' whether it was Fox, CNN, MSNBC, or somebody else. I give him all the credit for the debates to be far more substantative than in years past, and less focused on the non consequential controversial stuff.

Nevertheless, the debates still offer little more than short sound bites and I think especially Santorum and Romney have diminished the positive effect by their incessant sniping at each other in recent debates. That has been a huge turnoff for me.

But you will see a definite shift once it is Obama vs the Republican nominee assuming that President Obama will agree to any debates which has yet to be seen. If he does agree to debates, I will be really surprised if Obama doesn't provide a list of acceptable questions and the order they will be asked so that he can have the answers memorized or loaded into his teleprompter. And I am guessing he won't agree to a Fox debate or any other in which he cannot strictly control the content. Obama is a disaster in any kind of extemporaneous situation, and his handlers simply won't allow that to happen.

So, my best guess is that if we look to the debates to make a difference, they'll make Obama look really good to his constituency, they will disadvantage his opponent as much as possible, and that's the way that cookie will crumble.

I am severely disappointed with some of the questions that are asked of a presidential candidate that a president has virtually no control over. Here are a couple.

They ask them about abortion. This is a ridiculous question to ask because a president cannot change abortion laws. the Supreme Court has already ruled on it and it will only change if challenged in the Supreme Court and the previous ruling overturned. i admit, the president dos have the power to appoint nominees to the Supreme Court, but that nominee still has to be confirmed by a majority of the Senate.

They ask them about homosexual marriage. This also is a ridiculous question because a president cannot write a law about marriage, congress will have to do that. Additionally, if congress does, regardless of whether or not it is for or against homosexual marriage, it will be challenged in the Supreme Court. the president won't make the decision, congress or the court will.

One of the major things the president does have a lot of control over is foreign policy. As the above video pointed out, in the last presidential race those questions were not asked of Mr Obama.
The presidential oath of office includes upholding the US Constitution, where are the questions about the candidates views on the US Constitution? Where are the questions about amendments (existing or future) to the US Constitution?

Maybe if Republicans quit running on abortion and gay marriage they wouldn't get asked about their views on those subjects.

Just a thought.

But I appreciate your conceding the upcoming epic fail of the GOP.

:thup:

I am severely disappointed with some of the questions that are asked of a presidential candidate that a president has virtually no control over. Here are a couple.

They ask them about abortion. This is a ridiculous question to ask because a president cannot change abortion laws. the Supreme Court has already ruled on it and it will only change if challenged in the Supreme Court and the previous ruling overturned. i admit, the president dos have the power to appoint nominees to the Supreme Court, but that nominee still has to be confirmed by a majority of the Senate.

They ask them about homosexual marriage. This also is a ridiculous question because a president cannot write a law about marriage, congress will have to do that. Additionally, if congress does, regardless of whether or not it is for or against homosexual marriage, it will be challenged in the Supreme Court. the president won't make the decision, congress or the court will.

One of the major things the president does have a lot of control over is foreign policy. As the above video pointed out, in the last presidential race those questions were not asked of Mr Obama.
The presidential oath of office includes upholding the US Constitution, where are the questions about the candidates views on the US Constitution? Where are the questions about amendments (existing or future) to the US Constitution?

In my opinion those asking the question don't give a damn about anything other than discrediting the guys and gals they don't want and promoting the guy they do want. And because the media is overwhelmingly leftist, their guy is Obama. They are not going to ask anything that will compromise his public image in any way. They are going to ask as many questions as they can that could compromise the public image of his opposition and they will word the questions in a way to maximize that possibility.

The mainstream media has long given up on any manner of objectivity and providing 'all the news that is fit to print.' They have an agenda as much as any politician and they focus on promoting that agenda. It is one of the most serious problems in the USA culture shift at this time. The only thing that is saving us is that education has been so dumbed down that most Americans don't pay any attention to any of it.

Last edited:
Isn't Tom Brokaw the person who awarded Al Gore the presidential election in Nov. 2000, only to have to retract his award the next morning? :rolleyes:

Maybe if Republicans quit running on abortion and gay marriage they wouldn't get asked about their views on those subjects.

Just a thought.

Certainly the media would portray it that way.
Please explain your take on why the MSM failed to address the points expressed in the video in the OP.

In my opinion those asking the question don't give a damn about anything other than discrediting the guys and gals they don't want and promoting the guy they do want. And because the media is overwhelmingly leftist, their guy is Obama. They are not going to ask anything that will compromise his public image in any way. They are going to ask as many questions as they can that could compromise the public image of his opposition and they will word the questions in a way to maximize that possibility.

The mainstream media has long given up on any manner of objectivity and providing 'all the news that is fit to print.' They have an agenda as much as any politician and they focus on promoting that agenda. It is one of the most serious problems in the USA culture shift at this time. The only thing that is saving us is that education has been so dumbed down that most Americans don't pay any attention to any of it.

The town hall debate questions when Mr McCain and Mr Obama debated were all screened and controlled by the media presenting them and almost all of them were geared towards a leftist position. Almost all the domestic policy ones were themed around the position of "what is government going to do for ME?"

Just a thought.

I'll buy that. However, since many Dems favor abortion and gay marriage why aren't they ever asked to defend their sides of those issues the way Republicans are?

Just a thought.

I'll buy that. However, since many Dems favor abortion and gay marriage why aren't they ever asked to defend their sides of those issues the way Republicans are?

Exactly. Much of the media only challenges one side of the position.

As the republican debates are carried forth I want to remind everybody that it is typically the press and MSM that asks and controls the questions in the debates.

hmm, do you think maybe that has to do with the fact that it is the press and the main stream media are the ones broadcasting the debates? If politicians want to hold debates sponsored by and hosted by anonymous message board denizens, or farm animals in Mormon drag, then let them.

you do know your arguments are very much like those of the M.I.T. nitwit-in-chief, Noam Chomsky? yep, he even wrote a book you sound like you've read: manufactured consent. ever hear about It? the book where Noam is criticized for getting Walter Lippmann's words and more?

:eusa_shhh:

Just a thought.

they aren't? what rock are you living under?

As the republican debates are carried forth I want to remind everybody that it is typically the press and MSM that asks and controls the questions in the debates.

hmm, do you think maybe that has to do with the fact that it is the press and the main stream media are the ones broadcasting the debates? If politicians want to hold debates sponsored by and hosted by anonymous message board denizens, or farm animals in Mormon drag, then let them.

you do know your arguments are very much like those of the M.I.T. nitwit-in-chief, Noam Chomsky? yep, he even wrote a book you sound like you've read: manufactured consent. ever hear about It? the book where Noam is criticized for getting Walter Lippmann's words and more?

Go back and watch the video in the OP and explain why the same group of people that hosted the debates and asked the questions all of the sudden appeared clueless as to the presidents stance on things that are the presidents primary role and job purpose.

Don't try and make this thread about me.

Go back and watch the video in the OP and explain why the same group of people that hosted the debates and asked the questions all of the sudden appeared clueless as to the presidents stance on things that are the presidents primary role and job purpose.

why would I. It looks like you're doing that very well all by your little loathsome self. :eusa_clap:

I have no idea what you are talking about

why would I. It looks like you're doing that very well all by your little loathsome self. :eusa_clap:

I have no idea what you are talking about

Why am I not surprised?

Forum List

Back