Jury nullification triumph!

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
I always rejoice when common sense triumphs over legal stupidity.

The first thing I did was ask for a show of hands from everyone who believed the man had kicked her. All twelve of us raised our hands. Okay, it was unanimous. Then, following standard procedure, I passed around sheets of paper and asked everyone to write down Guilty or Not Guilty, and pass the sheets back to me. The count was 11 to 1. Not Guilty. It was a glorious moment. I couldn’t have been prouder of my fellow jurors. Despite what the prosecutor told us about doing our duty, and despite the law being crystal clear in this matter, we had decided to do the right thing, the fair thing. We had decided that this guy shouldn’t be convicted.
Well, at least eleven of us had decided that. The lone holdout was a man in his forties, a mechanical engineer. “Didn’t you hear what the D.A. told us?” he said plaintively. “Even if we wanted to, we don’t have the right to ignore the law.” When one of the jurors asked if he “agreed” with the way the law was written, he was stunned. “It doesn’t matter if I agree or not,” he said. “The law is the law.”
Wrong. We told him it wasn’t our job to enforce the law. That was their job. Our job was to do the right thing. And if the County of Los Angeles didn’t trust a jury to reach the right and proper decision, then they shouldn’t have given us that authority.

Jury Nullification | Dissident Voice

Why bring charges against a man who barely touched his girlfriend in the first place?

If he thought it was a “fair” decision, then why did his office prosecute this guy in the first place? The answer is that the American legal system has become an industry unto itself, one that supplies lucrative jobs to judges and private attorneys, and decent jobs to public defenders, bailiffs, prison guards, probation officers, expert witnesses, et al. While the System clearly benefits those with the jobs, it clearly hurts people who get stuck with convictions that are meted out not from of a sense of justice, but for “administrative” reasons. These convictions follow them the rest of their lives, and prevent them from even getting jobs because they now have criminal records. We did our small part to fix that.

So Mr. Peace and Justice "Radical" just let a domestic batterer go free?

Hah! He might want to consult with his fellow left-wing feminists, who are responsible for the forcing of police officers to arrest anyone accused of domestic battery, EVEN IF THE COP DOESN'T WANT TO, and even, as here, when the victim isn't very interested in pursuing anything.

Liberals: always bitching about stuff they themselves caused!

Didn't the prosecutor make it clear to the jury that kicking a woman was a crime? If he didn't he needs to go back to law school or work for the ACLU.

a strong case for professional jurors if i've ever heard one...

fucking retards

I'm not too impressed by the guy who wrote the piece.

The duty of the jurors is to determine whether the person is guilty or innocent of the charges. That's it. They aren't supposed to say, "Yeah, he did it but it wasn't so bad" or "yeah he did it but she's an ugly whore".

Shame on them.

The duty of the jurors is to determine whether the person is guilty or innocent of the charges. That's it. They aren't supposed to say, "Yeah, he did it but it wasn't so bad" or "yeah he did it but she's an ugly whore".

Shame on them.

i'll be damned. i agree wholeheartedly. they spit on their civic duty as jurors and should not be applauded or congratulated for doing so.

Jury nullification is a time honored tradition.

These jurors should be applauded for their intelligence and their courage.

If unrepentent domestic terrorists like Bill Ayers and his wife Bernie Dohrn can teach law, why not substitute Shria law for the Constitution? Who would notice?

The one who should be spanked is the DA, if the case is indeed as it was portrayed.

Which it probably wasn't. I've seen too many people *guess* about what is really going on with DV incidents, and be insanely wrong. All you can do is determine whether the guy did it or not, and if he did, then he gets convicted.

For such a mild incident, he wouldn't have gotten any time, and regardless of whether or not he truly is abusive (and he probably is...she didn't hit him, after all) it would perhaps get them started down a more healthy path.

Jury nullification is a time honored tradition.

These jurors should be applauded for their intelligence and their courage.

If unrepentent domestic terrorists like Bill Ayers and his wife Bernie Dohrn can teach law, why not substitute Shria law for the Constitution? Who would notice?

seriously what the hell does that have to do with anything?

Shame on them.

yeah, but you know, it's not like he gave her three stitches or anything.

Shame on them.

And yet, that's exactly what our Senate did when they said "Sure, Clinton is guilty as hell, but it wasn't worthy of removal". So they voted "not guilty" even though the house had already decided that if he committed the crime, it was indeed, worth of removal.

if he hadn't assaulted his wife, then the jury would not have had to find him guilty under the law. if they felt they had to engage in jury nullificaiton then his behavior was domestic violence and they let a batterer free.... which means the battering will increase in frequency and intensity.

if true, they violated their oath as jurors and should be held in contempt.

that said, i think it's a lie... the prosecutor doesn't instruct on the law except at the grand jury stage. at the trial stage, only a judge can instruct on the law.

Last edited:
if he hadn't assaulted his wife, then the jury would not have had to find him guilty under the law. if they felt they had to engage in jury nullificaiton then his behavior was domestic violence and they let a batterer free.... which means the battering will increase in frequency and intensity.

if true, they violated their oath as jurors and should be held in contempt.

that said, i think it's a lie... the prosecutor doesn't instruct on the law except at the grand jury stage. at the trial stage, only a judge can instruct on the law.

Reading this thread it sure looks to me like the OP is advocating men being let off for spousal abuse via jury nullification (IE "the bitch deserved it".) Pretty sad.

Prosecutors can make closing arguments though. Probably what he was referring to.

And Jury nullification is an important part of having a Jury. We are supposed to have Courts of Justice. Sometimes the just thing is to find someone not guilty even if the techincal aspect of the law might be construed otherwise. The only people who were actually present at the time the crime accord testified that there was nothing but slight kick to the backside. Does anyone honestly think that's what the statute was created for? I've hit my friends playing around before. Am I guilty of assault? Do you think the law was intended for that? Should we arrest football players because they smack their teamates on the butt? Seriously.

The law was meant punish people who are committing serious acts of violence. The Jury decided that this wasn't a serious act. Justice was served.

Prosecutors can make closing arguments though. Probably what he was referring to.

And Jury nullification is an important part of having a Jury. We are supposed to have Courts of Justice. Sometimes the just thing is to find someone not guilty even if the techincal aspect of the law might be construed otherwise. The only people who were actually present at the time the crime accord testified that there was nothing but slight kick to the backside. Does anyone honestly think that's what the statute was created for? I've hit my friends playing around before. Am I guilty of assault? Do you think the law was intended for that? Should we arrest football players because they smack their teamates on the butt? Seriously.

The law was meant punish people who are committing serious acts of violence. The Jury decided that this wasn't a serious act. Justice was served.

that is a lie. jury nullification is NOT any part of having a jury. if the judge gives an instruction on the law, you have to follow it. the FACTS are the sole province of the jury.

this isn't about football. grow up. you sit on a jury, you are charged to follow the law. if the law is wrong or the judge is wrong, it will be fixed on appeal.

i can see jury nullification is the VERY VERY rare case, but not like the loons talk about it.

If a charged suspect has made it to the jury portion of the process, then the question of whether whatever was done was enough to warrant a charge has already been met. That is what prosecuting attorneys do, they decide does the behavior warrant a criminal charge. Then the jury decides if the person charged in fact committed the crime. Juries are NOT supposed to be deciders of what constitutes a crime, except in very rare circumstances spelled out by law ( IE self defense versus murder or things like that.)

As Jillian says, on occasion jury nullification is a useful tool, but as a rule it has no place in the jury room.

Forum List

Back