Jury Duty!! IDK.. Yay? Or Nay? Tips Please!

JD_2B

Little Vixen
Sep 23, 2009
Nunya, Wudjathink
I am half excited, half bummed.

I want to be a juror because I want to decide a case about gun rights or women's rights. That would be awesome. :clap2:

I don't want to do it because I will miss work, and maybe for nothing. Booo..:evil:

On the bright side-

Maybe I will go buy some stilettos and fishnets and go fuck some random attorneys and then abort as a form of birth control. LOL!!!

Anybody have any tips on how to help yourself get on the jury, or to avoid it? Thanks in advance..

Depends on what kind of case it is and what you do for a living. I work for an insurance company so I would never be chosen for a tort case, unless the plaintiff atty was a total dumbass. I was selected tho for a criminal case several years ago. I enjoyed it.

The down side is if you have to sit all day in the central jury room without being called for voir dire (the part where the attorneys interview the pool to decide who to seat and who to strike.) Bring a good book.

It is totally random.

I have enjoyed it every time I have been on it.

Sometime you get lucky, and sometimes you don't

i always get dismissed after the jury pool...they always seat the last jury right before me...after i have sat there for 2 or 3 days....there is no rhyme nor reason to it....my husband was on a jury the case was settled before the jury decided.....

I want to be a juror because I want to decide a case about gun rights or women's rights. That would be awesome. :clap2:

I don't want to do it because I will miss work, and maybe for nothing. Booo..:evil:

On the bright side-

Maybe I will go buy some stilettos and fishnets and go fuck some random attorneys and then abort as a form of birth control. LOL!!!

Anybody have any tips on how to help yourself get on the jury, or to avoid it? Thanks in advance..

I have to call this evening after 1700 hours and give the secret code to find out if I have to report for jury duty tomorrow. I am 55 years old and its the second time I have been called for jd. First time I had just relocated back to Indiana from Hawaii and didn't think they would pay for the gas back and forth. jd 2b I am studying your face and if Nunya is the same place I am at, I'm not a lawyer but I play one on TV.:happy-1:

You can get off the jury pool if you can:

1) Prove that you're a homocidal maniac wanted in three states

2) Have slept with the mayor (or police chief or governor or somebody like that.)

Otherwise you're most likely stuck with the jury pool. I have to serve my time that way--(I always take a good book and my laptop to entertain myself)--but I am never put on a jury because I have a nephew on the local police force and/or have worked in fields that either the defense or prosecution think would make me biased.

It was interesting though that one defense attorney polled all of us in the jury pool to see who had a license to carry permit. Everybody who did got on the jury. :)

Last edited:
I don't qualify for a criminal jury because I have a misdemeanor conviction. That keeps me off the jury pool for criminal trials till 2013. I still qualify for civil trials.

Considering my attitudes towards the cops in this town, I am probably off the jury pool for life.

I had a two month long civil jury trial back in 2003. That was kind of fun. parties settled after plaintiffs presented their case. It was pretty obvious by then that they were not going to get what they wanted.

I always enjoyed it though. Folks who show up for jury are more conscientious and smarter than the average. At least in my experience. It is almost always a fun group

But you just got to get lucky on the draw.

Hmm.. I will probably get out of it then. What a shame, but I do kinda need to work and all. I was hoping to get a criminal case, a quick one day trial, but oh well. I know how these things work- I actually got lucky on the two times before this I got picked. The first time, I had been out of town, and got back and checked the mail, to see that I had missed jury duty. Oh Shit, right!! Well, I called the courthouse, and let the lady know that I had been out of town, so sorry, etc, and she said that I was fine because the case never made it to trial anyways.
Another time, I got a summons and just failed to check my mail on time. I only check it once or twice a month. I hate checking the fucking mail when I have to walk down the damn street to retrieve it from the locked boxes. I miss the days when they delivered mail straight to the house. Anyways, I missed jury duty again, and called a lawyer first, because I was scared shitless that I would actually get into trouble that time. Of course, he said that there was no warrant for me or anything pending from the courthouse towards me, so I just called the courthouse and told them I was out of town. I was again fine, because the trial had been canceled. =)

So who knows. I am just glad I got this one in time, lmao.. Third time's a charm!! Maybe I will be making up for lost time. God I hope not.

Oh and I have been sleeping with a sheriff's deputy for the past few months, my dad was a city attorney in my home town, and I was in the Navy, on the Auxiliary Security Force, and a sniper on the base swat team. So, I am sure they will excuse me. =)

Bring lots of reading material and an open mind and you should have fun.

You can't knit anymore. Other than that...

:cuckoo:

For nothing?

Helping to ensure a peaceable and just society is 'nothing'?

Every time you post, you reveal that you represent so much of what is wrong with America today.

Wouldn't surprise anyone.

You know your hero was a fake, right?

Take a long dive into a shallow pool.

☭proletarian☭;1984221 said:

:cuckoo:

For nothing?

Helping to ensure a peaceable and just society is 'nothing'?

Every time you post, you reveal that you represent so much of what is wrong with America today.

Wouldn't surprise anyone.

You know your hero was a fake, right?

Take a long dive into a shallow pool.

You know, you're absolutely right. Serving on a jury is both an honor and a responsibility of the citizenship of a civilized society.

Yeah they pay the same wages to prisoners here to work on chain gangs.
I guess it was a conflict of interest to use the prisoners for jury duty.
Although, a jury of one's peers.............

They aren't paying you wages. Jury duty is your civic responsibility, and thus unpaid. However, they do compensate for gas to and from and lunch while you're there, which is what you got.

If one is picked for a jury, which is actually very unlikely, it almost certainly will be for something less than murder, theft or drugs or something.

Fastest way to get out of jury duty? I always take one of Ann Coulter's books along to read, with her picture blazoned across the front. I'm invariably out of there in the first wave of dismissals.

I once actually got as far as voir dire, at which I informed the court that I had three close family members in law enforcement and had once been a prosecution witness in a trial whose defendant was later executed. The defense attorney couldn't get rid of me fast enough.

Oh and I have been sleeping with a sheriff's deputy for the past few months, my dad was a city attorney in my home town, and I was in the Navy, on the Auxiliary Security Force, and a sniper on the base swat team. So, I am sure they will excuse me. =)

Oh yeah, you're exactly what any defense attorney is looking for. :)

Thank you for your service by the way.

Oh yeah, you're exactly what any defense attorney is looking for. :)

Thank you for your service by the way.

Any connection with law enforcement apparently disqualifies you in the eyes of the defense bar. You immediately become their number one target for dismissal.

New Topics

Forum List

Back