Jury convicts DeLay in money-laundering case

The Untouchables were the dirt bags that carved up the Texas Congressional Districting Map to look like a really bad "Picasso" in order to keep otherwise unelectable Incompetent in Congress. NY, Il, Fl, Ca, Same Same. Total bullshit. Head up your fucking ass logic.

Here are some of the biggest current abominations of the day. Where are the Investigations? Where is the Attorney General? Fucking Hypocrites.

Redistricting the Nation - Top 10

Outright gerrymandering should be considered corruption. Unfortunately, while most of the rest of the Western world realizes this we haven't yet. 99% of it is perfectly legal. Go figure. :rolleyes:

You do understand that this trial is an extension of that.

No, it's two separate issues. The redistricting was done through the TX Legislature's seated members and is a Federal DP/EP issue. The charges against Delay were for funneling corporate contributions for individual candidates illegally through the RNC in violation of the then-Texas law, hoping to cover up the origins of the cash. That's where the laundering comes in.

They're related only factually through their ties to the 2002 campaigns, but other than that the issues are very different.

A few minutes later, Mr. DeLay said outside the courtroom that he would appeal the decision. He called the prosecution a political vendetta by Democrats in the local district attorney’s office, and revenge for his role in orchestrating the 2003 redrawing of Congressional districts to elect more Republicans.

“This is an abuse of power,” he said. “It’s a miscarriage of justice. I still maintain my innocence. The criminalization of politics undermines our very system.”​

Oh, the irony!

Outright gerrymandering should be considered corruption. Unfortunately, while most of the rest of the Western world realizes this we haven't yet. 99% of it is perfectly legal. Go figure. :rolleyes:

You do understand that this trial is an extension of that.

no...it's not.

Yes... it is. :razz:

no...it's not.

Yes... it is :tongue:

no...it's not.

Yes...it is.:lol:

No it's not.

Happy Thanksgiving Jillian!

I make a motion to Recess, I need my morning coffee. :lol:

I do. He's had his fingers in corruption for awhile with no consequence.

so he deserves life imprisonment for playing with campaign money? seriously?

Money laundering, not illegal campaign contributions. Get it straight.

That's right. They do try to minimize Republican corruption..

DeLay and two associates – John Colyandro and Jim Ellis – are accused of illegally channeling $190,000 in corporate donations collected by DeLay's PAC in Texas through an arm of the Washington-based Republican National Committee, or RNC. The money went to seven Texas House candidates in 2002.

Prosecutors allege the money helped Republicans take control of the Texas House in 2002. That enabled the GOP majority to push through a Delay-engineered congressional redistricting plan that sent more Texas Republicans to Congress in 2004 – and strengthened DeLay's political power.

DeLay's attorneys maintain the $190,000 was part of a legal money swap between DeLay's PAC and the RNC.

DeLay, who has pleaded not guilty to money laundering and conspiracy to commit money laundering, has said he had little involvement in how the PAC was run.

Tom DeLay Money Laundering Trial To Look At 2003 Texas Redistricting

Jeezus, it's a redistricting scheme, all part of the bigger plan to keep shady Republicans in congress. No matter they are stupid yes men (and women). They aren't interested in their constituencies for any reason other than votes.

Slimey..

Austin news, sports, weather, Longhorns, business | Statesman.com

By Mike Ward and Laylan Copelin | Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 01:27 PM

Update: 5 p.m.:
Tom DeLay, the former U.S. House majority leader whose name became synonymous with the Republicans’ controversial rise to power in the Texas House, was found guilty today of laundering money in connection with the 2002 elections.

Jurors sent a note on yellow legal paper that a verdict had been reached to the judge at 4:46 p.m. They had deliberated since Monday afternoon.

DeLay was charged with money laundering and conspiracy to commit money. He faces a possible sentence of 5-99 years in prison and a maximum $10,000 fine on the money laundering charge, and 2-20 years in prison and a possible $10,000 fine on the conspiracy charge.

Prosecutors earlier said they believe the DeLay case is the first such criminal charge ever filed over Texas’ century-old prohibition on corporate contributions in state political races.
Delay, a Republican who was nicknamed “The Hammer” because of his heavy-handed style, was accused of conspiring to funnel $190,000 of corporate money through the Republican National Committee, which sent $190,000 in campaign donations to seven GOP candidates for the Texas House.

State law prohibits corporations from giving donations to candidates directly or indirectly.

*yawn* Jury convicts Gunny of being white.

I know ... let's prosecute him another time with more contrived bullshit than this time ...

Fuck you pussies.

Don't ya know?:
The jury were all liberals.
The judge was a liberal.
All of the prosecutors were liberal.
All of the law enforcement involved were liberal.
Allof the people in the court were liberal.
All of the witnesses were liberal.
And Gunny, this one just tears me up, all of the bailiffs were also liberals.
Ole Tommy done been railroaded by them liberals.
Gunny, do you reckon ole Bubba Tommy be celling with is a liberal?

Saga began in 2001
One juror agreed to speak briefly to reporters as long as neither the gender nor any identifying features be given away. The juror said the decision was based on the weight of the evidence.
"It was just everything," the juror said.
The saga began in 2001 when DeLay was the third most powerful member of the U.S. House as the majority whip. The GOP majority was a mere nine out of 435 members.
To guarantee a majority, Republican seats needed to be added, and one witness in the case described Texas as the "gold mine." To get a congressional redistricting plan that favored the GOP, the party had to get control of a Texas House that Democrats had held since Reconstruction.
DeLay already had a national political committee called Americans for a Republican Majority, run by Jim Ellis. DeLay decided to clone the organization and call it Texans for a Republican Majority. Ellis chose his friend John Colyandro to run it.
DeLay attended fundraisers and met with corporate donors to TRMPAC.

Timeline laid out
Testimony in the case showed TRMPAC was running too short of funds in the general election to make major donations to Republican House candidates. Colyandro and Ellis began to arrange for a swap of TRMPAC corporate money for donations given to the Republican National Committee by individuals.

Prosecutors laid out a timeline for jurors.
Aug. 27, 2002: DeLay met in his Sugar Land office with RNC Political Director Terry Nelson to discuss Republican prospects in congressional races nationally. Records indicate Ellis may have attended that meeting.
Sept. 10: Colyandro signed a blank check and had it sent to Ellis in Washington, D.C.
Sept. 11: A Federal Express receipt shows the check arrived at Ellis' office at 11:58 a.m. DeLay's calendar showed Ellis at a group meeting in DeLay's office from 1-2:30 p.m. Two DeLay aides testified that they did not believe DeLay attended the meeting.
Sept. 13: Ellis met with Nelson to arrange to swap $190,000 in corporate money from TRMPAC for donations to candidates from the RNC's noncorporate account. Ellis also gave Nelson a list of seven candidates who were to receive the $190,000 in candidate-eligible funds.
Oct. 2: DeLay's calendar showed he met with Ellis on ARMPAC business. DeGuerin said that was when Ellis told DeLay about the money swap. During the trial, DeLay told reporters he could have stopped the swap then, but thought it was legal.
Oct. 4: Checks totaling $190,000 were cut for the seven Texas House candidates.
The Republicans won a majority in the Texas House in the November 2002 elections. That led to a bitter redistricting battle in 2003. The new congressional district map resulted in the partisan majority in the Texas congressional delegation shifting from 17-15 favoring the Democrats to 21-11 favoring the Republicans.
Earle's office began looking into several allegations of campaign finance law violations in January 2003. Prosecutors interviewed DeLay in August 2005, and he then said he knew of the money exchange in advance.
DeLay later said he did not learn of it until after Ellis made the deal with Nelson.

Resigned from Congress
His indictment in October 2005 forced DeLay to resign as House majority leader.
When legal wrangling kept DeLay from getting a speedy trial, he resigned his congressional seat.
Colyandro and Ellis face similar charges in the case, but will be tried separately.
One of the biggest blows to DeLay in the trial occurred Wednesday when Priest told the jury that if there was a conspiracy, DeLay could have entered it at any time before the checks were delivered to the candidates. That meant DeLay could be a party to the conspiracy even if he became involved after Ellis cut the deal with Nelson.
DeGuerin has contended that no money laundering occurred because TRMPAC legally could raise corporate money and legally transfer it to the RNC. DeGuerin said the RNC then legally could send money raised from individuals to the candidates.

Cobb said what made the case money laundering was the list of candidates Ellis gave Nelson earmarking the corporate money.

DeLay maintains innocence following conviction | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Yeah, he was convicted by a leftwinger than totally tailored the evidence to suit himself.

Cool. You lefties are looking brighter than two shades of darkness.:cuckoo:

Are you trolling or really as ignorant and full of hate as you seem?

I think Gunny might be just pointing out how much this Thread has in common with a Klan Rally or Lynching. I feel the Blood Lust.... don't you???

Tom DeLay, the former U.S. House majority leader whose name became synonymous with the Republicans’ controversial rise to power in the Texas House, was found guilty today of laundering money in connection with the 2002 elections.

Jurors sent a note on yellow legal paper that a verdict had been reached to the judge at 4:46 p.m. They had deliberated since Monday afternoon.

DeLay was charged with money laundering and conspiracy to commit money. He faces a possible sentence of 5-99 years in prison and a maximum $10,000 fine on the money laundering charge, and 2-20 years in prison and a possible $10,000 fine on the conspiracy charge.

Prosecutors earlier said they believe the DeLay case is the first such criminal charge ever filed over Texas’ century-old prohibition on corporate contributions in state political races.
Delay, a Republican who was nicknamed “The Hammer” because of his heavy-handed style, was accused of conspiring to funnel $190,000 of corporate money through the Republican National Committee, which sent $190,000 in campaign donations to seven GOP candidates for the Texas House.

State law prohibits corporations from giving donations to candidates directly or indirectly.

It seems democrats can do the same thing and get a slap on the wrist

Federal and state investigators are looking into former Gov. Mike Easley’s dealings with friends and contributors while in office and his wife, Mary Easley’s, high-paying job at N.C. State University.
Coverage of federal, state investigations into former Gov. Mike Easley, Mary Easley :: WRAL.com

How sad is it when the best defense the wingnuts can come up with for their party is "We're not the only embezzlers"?

Answer: Not at all. It's HILARIOUS!!!!:lol::lol:

It's sort of like the way christians defend their faith with "At least we didn't rape as many babies as those other people"

He's finally going to prison. Up to life inprisonment.

I'm betting on probation, unfortunately.

Not for conspiracy to commit money laundering. :lol:

This isn't murder one, but it isn't jaywalking either.

He won't do anywhere near the max, it will be in a minimum security facility, but he'll do felony time.
Well, I hope he sees jail time, but there was this, from the Paper Of Record:

He faces between 5 and 99 years in prison, though the judge may choose probation.

It's Texas, so who the hell knows.

I know ... let's prosecute him another time with more contrived bullshit than this time ...

Fuck you pussies.

Don't ya know?:
The judge was a liberal.
That actually makes sense, since most of the country leans Left. :)

I guess someone had to fall on the sword for the rampant GOP corruption of the early 2000s. You know all the other crooks are breathing a sigh of relief.

Of course, I think Delay got what he deserved and am glad for the verdict.

I'm betting on probation, unfortunately.

Not for conspiracy to commit money laundering. :lol:

This isn't murder one, but it isn't jaywalking either.

He won't do anywhere near the max, it will be in a minimum security facility, but he'll do felony time.
Well, I hope he sees jail time, but there was this, from the Paper Of Record:

He faces between 5 and 99 years in prison, though the judge may choose probation.

It's Texas, so who the hell knows.

Texas is big and diverse and a state of extremes. Sadly the far right extreme is neither silent or a majority - it simply seems so.

It was a matter of time before they caught on to this stuff...look forward to reading about more of thes "untouchables" getting what they deserve

The Untouchables were the dirt bags that carved up the Texas Congressional Districting Map to look like a really bad "Picasso" in order to keep otherwise unelectable Incompetent in Congress. NY, Il, Fl, Ca, Same Same. Total bullshit. Head up your fucking ass logic.

Here are some of the biggest current abominations of the day. Where are the Investigations? Where is the Attorney General? Fucking Hypocrites.

Redistricting the Nation - Top 10

Just because something is legal does not mean it is right or just.

I guess someone had to fall on the sword for the rampant GOP corruption of the early 2000s. You know all the other crooks are breathing a sigh of relief.

Fall on his Sword? Not Delay, now way, no how. However the story is not yet done. The Hammer will now have an opportunity to become another tool, this time one used by investigators to determine who else conspired to commit crime. Tom will snitch everyone he can to avoid suffering the consequences of his behavior. Like any bully who suffers a punch in the nose he will beg for mercy.

Fuck you pussies.

Don't ya know?:
The judge was a liberal.
That actually makes sense, since most of the country leans Left. :)

No, most of the country are moderate independents that do not put up 187 political yard signs every 40 feet, watch Bristol Palin on dancing with the morons, tune in Sarah Palin's bimbo country, listen to Lush Rimbaw shouting deeto every 17 seconds and know that Sean Hannity wears more makeup than Dolly Titon.

Fall on his Sword? Not Delay, now way, no how. However the story is not yet done. The Hammer will now have an opportunity to become another tool, this time one used by investigators to determine who else conspired to commit crime. Tom will snitch everyone he can to avoid suffering the consequences of his behavior. Like any bully who suffers a punch in the nose he will beg for mercy.

In wingnut world, Delay "fell on his sword" by fighting the criminal charges every step of the way:lol:

Forum List

Back