Jury convicts DeLay in money-laundering case

Will Delay lose his pension and lifetime health care benefits?

like OJ's, there are certain pensions etc. that cannot be attached etc.
and you can bet congress has protected itself.

Only social security and certain disability pensions can not be levied on. Some have wage earner status as sole source of income and can not be levied.
OJ set all his stuff up ahead of time. Doesn't matter anyway now with him. He is Bubba's BIATCH morning, afternoon, night and MIDNIGHT SNACK.

This is good news. It's just a damn shame he wont end up in a FPMITAP.

Last edited:
Austin news, sports, weather, Longhorns, business | Statesman.com

By Mike Ward and Laylan Copelin | Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 01:27 PM

Update: 5 p.m.:
Tom DeLay, the former U.S. House majority leader whose name became synonymous with the Republicans’ controversial rise to power in the Texas House, was found guilty today of laundering money in connection with the 2002 elections.

Jurors sent a note on yellow legal paper that a verdict had been reached to the judge at 4:46 p.m. They had deliberated since Monday afternoon.

DeLay was charged with money laundering and conspiracy to commit money. He faces a possible sentence of 5-99 years in prison and a maximum $10,000 fine on the money laundering charge, and 2-20 years in prison and a possible $10,000 fine on the conspiracy charge.

Prosecutors earlier said they believe the DeLay case is the first such criminal charge ever filed over Texas’ century-old prohibition on corporate contributions in state political races.
Delay, a Republican who was nicknamed “The Hammer” because of his heavy-handed style, was accused of conspiring to funnel $190,000 of corporate money through the Republican National Committee, which sent $190,000 in campaign donations to seven GOP candidates for the Texas House.

State law prohibits corporations from giving donations to candidates directly or indirectly.

It seems democrats can do the same thing and get a slap on the wrist

Federal and state investigators are looking into former Gov. Mike Easley’s dealings with friends and contributors while in office and his wife, Mary Easley’s, high-paying job at N.C. State University.
Coverage of federal, state investigations into former Gov. Mike Easley, Mary Easley :: WRAL.com

In Texas?
What planet are you from?

Pay no mind to Derp Dangler.

If Delay does any time at all I expect he will be sentenced to a year in a federal "rest home" facility where he will serve four to six months and be released to a halfway house.

This is why our system is screwed up. I think the new GOP Speaker, John Boehner passing out bribes on the House Floor and being video taped doing it is much, much worse.

And don't go asking me for links right wingers. You can go to Youtube and watch yourself.
We know better than to ask you for links, Skippy. :lol:

Why, it's the right wing that almost never posts links. And when they do, they are either stupid have nothing to do with what they are alleging or they support the other side.

But anyway, here's the link because you don't know how to use the "Internets".

To me, what Boehner did was much worse because it affects millions.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAC2xeT2yOg&feature[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Will Delay lose his pension and lifetime health care benefits?

like OJ's, there are certain pensions etc. that cannot be attached etc.
and you can bet congress has protected itself.

Only social security and certain disability pensions can not be levied on. Some have wage earner status as sole source of income and can not be levied.
OJ set all his stuff up ahead of time. Doesn't matter anyway now with him. He is Bubba's BIATCH morning, afternoon, night and MIDNIGHT SNACK.

I suspect there is something somewhere in the fine print that will protect delays et al's retirement due his service.....they always watch each others backs...I would be greatly surprised if he lost it.

AUSTIN, Texas -- Former U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay -- once one of the most powerful and feared Republicans in Congress -- was convicted Wednesday on charges he illegally funneled corporate money to Texas candidates in 2002.

Jurors deliberated for 19 hours before returning guilty verdicts against DeLay on charges of money laundering and conspiracy to commit money laundering. He faces up to life in prison on the money laundering charge.

After the verdicts were read, DeLay hugged his daughter, Danielle, and his wife, Christine. His lead attorney, Dick DeGuerin, said they planned to appeal the verdict.

"This is an abuse of power. It's a miscarriage of justice, and I still maintain that I am innocent. The criminalization of politics undermines our very system and I'm very disappointed in the outcome," DeLay told reporters outside the courtroom. He remains free on bond, and his sentencing was tentatively set to begin on Dec. 20.

Prosecutors said DeLay, who once held the No. 2 job in the House of Representatives and whose heavy-handed style earned him the nickname "the Hammer," used his political action committee to illegally channel $190,000 in corporate donations into 2002 Texas legislative races through a money swap.

DeLay and his attorneys maintained the former Houston-area congressman did nothing wrong as no corporate funds went to Texas candidates and the money swap was legal.

Tom DeLay Guilty: Jury Convicts Tom DeLay in Money Laundering Trial - ktla.com
I like how, in typical CON$ervative fashion, he blames the STUPIDITY of the American people for his conviction. If only Americans were not too stupid to understand the law. CON$ have nothing but contempt for the American people!!!

"This is an abuse of power; it is a miscarriage of justice. I am very disappointed. But it is what it is … and we will carry on. Hopefully we can get this before people who understand the law,"

Last edited:
It seems democrats can do the same thing and get a slap on the wrist

Federal and state investigators are looking into former Gov. Mike Easley’s dealings with friends and contributors while in office and his wife, Mary Easley’s, high-paying job at N.C. State University.
Coverage of federal, state investigations into former Gov. Mike Easley, Mary Easley :: WRAL.com

In Texas?
What planet are you from?

Pay no mind to Derp Dangler.

Even better pay no attention to the military fuck up artical 15

Austin news, sports, weather, Longhorns, business | Statesman.com

By Mike Ward and Laylan Copelin | Wednesday, November 24, 2010, 01:27 PM

Update: 5 p.m.:
Tom DeLay, the former U.S. House majority leader whose name became synonymous with the Republicans’ controversial rise to power in the Texas House, was found guilty today of laundering money in connection with the 2002 elections.

Jurors sent a note on yellow legal paper that a verdict had been reached to the judge at 4:46 p.m. They had deliberated since Monday afternoon.

DeLay was charged with money laundering and conspiracy to commit money. He faces a possible sentence of 5-99 years in prison and a maximum $10,000 fine on the money laundering charge, and 2-20 years in prison and a possible $10,000 fine on the conspiracy charge.

Prosecutors earlier said they believe the DeLay case is the first such criminal charge ever filed over Texas’ century-old prohibition on corporate contributions in state political races.
Delay, a Republican who was nicknamed “The Hammer” because of his heavy-handed style, was accused of conspiring to funnel $190,000 of corporate money through the Republican National Committee, which sent $190,000 in campaign donations to seven GOP candidates for the Texas House.

State law prohibits corporations from giving donations to candidates directly or indirectly.

*yawn* Jury convicts Gunny of being white.

I know ... let's prosecute him another time with more contrived bullshit than this time ...

Fuck you pussies.

For those (like myself) who aren't entirely up on just exactly what Tom Delay was charged with doing

Nelson testified that DeLay associate Jim Ellis in August or September of 2002 proposed an exchange in which DeLay's PAC would give the RNC $190,000 in corporate money it couldn't spend in Texas and in return the PAC would get an equal amount from the RNC that had been collected from individual donations.
Ellis "said Tom DeLay wanted us to do that," Nelson told jurors.

Prosecutors claim DeLay, Ellis and another DeLay associate, John Colyandro, hatched the alleged scheme to funnel the money, which they say helped Republicans take control of the Texas House in 2002. That majority allowed the GOP to push through a congressional redistricting plan engineered by DeLay that sent more Texas Republicans to Congress in 2004 and strengthened DeLay's political stature, prosecutors said.

Nelson said the swap was also unusual because Ellis proposed a dollar for dollar exchange rate. In such swaps, corporate dollars are usually worth less because of spending restrictions they have, he said.

After the transaction was approved, the RNC sent checks that totaled $190,000 to the seven Texas legislative candidates whose names were by Ellis, Nelson said.

Yeah, that's conspiring to commit the crime of money laundering and of course the actual crime of money laundering.

What's more, he did those crimes to pervert and manipulate the political process in Texas.

I realize that such things (when done by Republicans) might not annoy some of you.

You think it's a harmless political dirty trick. You might think his persecution is merely a partisan attack.

But really, read his motive for doing this creating this conspiracy, again

His crime is really a crime against the democratic process, and against the people of the state of Texas, and by extention, against the people of the entire nation since his ultimate goal was to help his party eventually control Congress.

He these crimes so that he and his cronnies could jerrry-mand congressional districts in Texas.

I doubt he'll spend much, if any, time in prison.

AFter all, he was only attempting to pervert the democratic process, right?

Last edited:
If Delay does any time at all I expect he will be sentenced to a year in a federal "rest home" facility where he will serve four to six months and be released to a halfway house.

Nope. He was convicted in a Texas state court on Texas state charges. He'll do whatever time in a Texas state facility.

Does Texas have an equivalent of Club Fed? I'm having a hard time picturing it....but if they do, that's probably where he'll end up.

Nope. He was convicted in a Texas state court on Texas state charges. He'll do whatever time in a Texas state facility.

Does Texas have an equivalent of Club Fed? I'm having a hard time picturing it....but if they do, that's probably where he'll end up.

I'd like to find out what prison he will be staying in so I can send him a letter.

Forum List

Back