Jury Acquits Texas Mother Who Killed Sons

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
** Something doesn't sit right with this. I don't care if she was 'legally insane' or not, we just don't need scumbags like this walking the streets. I hope she stays in a mental hospital until the day she dies. **

TYLER, Texas - A woman who claimed God ordered her to bash in the heads of her sons was acquitted Saturday of all charges after a jury determined she was legally insane during the killings.

A jury found that Deanna Laney did not know right from wrong May 9 when she killed her two older sons, ages 6 and 8, in the front yard and left the youngest, now 2, maimed in his crib. Laney, 39, was found not guilty by reason of insanity of charges of capital murder and serious injury to a child.

Laney broke into tears as the verdict was read. Her husband, Keith Laney, sat emotionless. A few jurors cried and struggled to maintain their composure.

State law allows Laney to be committed to a maximum security state hospital. Medical evaluations will dictate when she will be released.

In closing arguments earlier Saturday, prosecutors portrayed the killings last Mother's Day weekend as deceptively planned and coldly executed.

read the rest here:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...4/ap_on_re_us/children_slain&cid=519&ncid=716

I hope she lives to be 120 years old, every day from now till she does die she should be made to look at the last pictures of her murdered children every waking moment!with the statement on each pic..."Their momma did this, I am their Momma!"

I am so angry at this!!! What? All of the sudden now people that kill their children get to use the "God made me do it" defense? She seemed reasonably sane when they read the verdict.Why was she saying "thank you,thank you,thankyou"? Because her poor excuse for a defense worked. She didn't look insane to me. Now she will do some time in this mental hospital and have freedom far too soon. Meanwhile,her kids lives are over. She should be punished more severely.

Earlier on Fox they had some guy who of course was trying to drag the father into it,like he should have known she was a psycho. She needs to take some personal responsiblity!!

This is what i hate about liberals. this ruling has been an attack on the rule of law and on God.

You see, anytime someone does something wrong, its not their fault, they are insane. Thats liberalism.

And if anyone says God spoke to them, they are insane. Thats liberalism.

They are attacking religion and law here, and they won this battle.

I hope she lives to be 120 years old, every day from now till she does die she should be made to look at the last pictures of her murdered children every waking moment!with the statement on each pic..."Their momma did this, I am their Momma!"

I completely agree Jon. Not only that, but I believe the defense attorneys should be made to look at the same pictures and with the statement "these children died, and I helped set their murderer free".

Ridiculous decision. Not guilt by reason of insanity. In that instance, it needs to be proven that she did not know what she was doing was wrong. If she didnt know it was wrong, then why the hell did she dial 9-1-1?

She may spend the rest of her life in a mental hospital, she's not nessesarily going to get out earlier by winning the insanity plea. Personally, I don't think she should get any breaks for being insane, she killed her kids, she should go to jail. Why waste time trying to rehabilitate someone who may do something like this again because she forgot to take her meds?

Originally posted by Said1
She may spend the rest of her life in a mental hospital, she's not nessesarily going to get out earlier by winning the insanity plea. Personally, I don't think she should get any breaks for being insane, she killed her kids, she should go to jail. Why waste time trying to rehabilitate someone who may do something like this again because she forgot to take her meds?

Thats not the point:

1)Now apparently all religious people are insane.

2)There are a bunch of people telling everyone how they feel sorry for her. Im just like. she killed her children! They are the victims. She is the monster. But no, because libs refuse to deal with the concept of evil, she has to be sick. I mean you cant admit that there is an evil person out there. that might mean all our actions arent justified as well.

Originally posted by Avatar4321
This is what i hate about liberals. this ruling has been an attack on the rule of law and on God.

You see, anytime someone does something wrong, its not their fault, they are insane. Thats liberalism.

Liberalism had shit to do with this ruling. This was done by a jury of 'peers' who obviously failed those little boys. I can't post anymore on this subject because I'm still so pissed about it :blowup:

Originally posted by Avatar4321

Well, like it or not, mental illness is a fact of life, and sometimes it does lead its sufferers to prerform acts over which they really don't have control. The woman suffered a psycchotic break and killed her children. She doesn't have to die to got to hell...She's already there.

And, the only folks I've seen having conversations with God, and boasting about it, are schizophrenics and televangelists.

Originally posted by krisy
or people that need a convenient exuse when they kill their children:rolleyes:

Sorry, but no sane person will bludgeon their children to death. Your statement is a prime example of the simple minded, black-and-white view most conservatives have of the world.

I beg to differ with you Bully -but they are some pretty sane people out there that have killed their children! Look at the bitch who let her car roll into the lake -tell me she was nuts too! There are people who just think more of themselves that anything - she deserves to suffer just as she made those children suffer! I have had my share of visits with a shrink - and if you think I'd be capable of murdering my kids (and if you know my kids,who else but their mother wouldn't) you are sadly mistaken!

There is NO excuse where out and out murder is justified.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
Sorry, but no sane person will bludgeon their children to death. Your statement is a prime example of the simple minded, black-and-white view most conservatives have of the world.

just in the last 20 years we've seen many different crimes against children in this country. its way too simplistic to say that a specific crime of murder is insanity.

Originally posted by Joan
I beg to differ with you Bully -but they are some pretty sane people out there that have killed their children! Look at the bitch who let her car roll into the lake -tell me she was nuts too! There are people who just think more of themselves that anything - she deserves to suffer just as she made those children suffer! I have had my share of visits with a shrink - and if you think I'd be capable of murdering my kids (and if you know my kids,who else but their mother wouldn't) you are sadly mistaken!

There is NO excuse where out and out murder is justified.

Sorry, but she was mentally disturbed. As to your visits to a psychiatrist, not all people suffering from mental illness will go so far as to harm others. There are different degrees and types of mental illness ranging from mild depression to full blown psychosis. Look at a copy of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual.

Mental illness can impare a persons judgement to the point where they will indeed bring harm to themselves and/or others. It is the rare instance where you have a reasoning psychotic who knows the difference between right and wrong, and will still do the wrong thing.

<quote><b>There is NO excuse where out and out murder is justified. </b></quote>

Are you including capital punishment? It is nothing more than state sanctioned murder.

No, I do not include Capital Punishment as murder. You do the crime, you pay the price. But I will put late term abortion in the murder category.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
just in the last 20 years we've seen many different crimes against children in this country. its way too simplistic to say that a specific crime of murder is insanity.

Indeed, the vast majority of murders are the result of crimes of passion, a kind of temporary insanity whereby the emotions totally overwhelm reason and sanity.

So then, during my lifetime I've had numerous people do me REAL dirty and I was stressed beyond belief - would I have gotten off had I put a knife into one of them?

Forum List

Back