Jury Acquits Texas Mother Who Killed Sons

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jimnyc, Apr 3, 2004.

1. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    ** Something doesn't sit right with this. I don't care if she was 'legally insane' or not, we just don't need scumbags like this walking the streets. I hope she stays in a mental hospital until the day she dies. **

TYLER, Texas - A woman who claimed God ordered her to bash in the heads of her sons was acquitted Saturday of all charges after a jury determined she was legally insane during the killings.

A jury found that Deanna Laney did not know right from wrong May 9 when she killed her two older sons, ages 6 and 8, in the front yard and left the youngest, now 2, maimed in his crib. Laney, 39, was found not guilty by reason of insanity of charges of capital murder and serious injury to a child.

Laney broke into tears as the verdict was read. Her husband, Keith Laney, sat emotionless. A few jurors cried and struggled to maintain their composure.

State law allows Laney to be committed to a maximum security state hospital. Medical evaluations will dictate when she will be released.

In closing arguments earlier Saturday, prosecutors portrayed the killings last Mother's Day weekend as deceptively planned and coldly executed.

read the rest here:
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...4/ap_on_re_us/children_slain&cid=519&ncid=716

2. jon_forward

jon_forward Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I hope she lives to be 120 years old, every day from now till she does die she should be made to look at the last pictures of her murdered children every waking moment!with the statement on each pic..."Their momma did this, I am their Momma!"

3. Sandy73

Sandy73 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    They needed to fry her ass !:death:

4. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I am so angry at this!!! What? All of the sudden now people that kill their children get to use the "God made me do it" defense? She seemed reasonably sane when they read the verdict.Why was she saying "thank you,thank you,thankyou"? Because her poor excuse for a defense worked. She didn't look insane to me. Now she will do some time in this mental hospital and have freedom far too soon. Meanwhile,her kids lives are over. She should be punished more severely.

Earlier on Fox they had some guy who of course was trying to drag the father into it,like he should have known she was a psycho. She needs to take some personal responsiblity!!

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,157
    This is what i hate about liberals. this ruling has been an attack on the rule of law and on God.

You see, anytime someone does something wrong, its not their fault, they are insane. Thats liberalism.

And if anyone says God spoke to them, they are insane. Thats liberalism.

They are attacking religion and law here, and they won this battle.

6. lilcountriegal

lilcountriegal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I completely agree Jon. Not only that, but I believe the defense attorneys should be made to look at the same pictures and with the statement "these children died, and I helped set their murderer free".

Ridiculous decision. Not guilt by reason of insanity. In that instance, it needs to be proven that she did not know what she was doing was wrong. If she didnt know it was wrong, then why the hell did she dial 9-1-1?

7. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    She may spend the rest of her life in a mental hospital, she's not nessesarily going to get out earlier by winning the insanity plea. Personally, I don't think she should get any breaks for being insane, she killed her kids, she should go to jail. Why waste time trying to rehabilitate someone who may do something like this again because she forgot to take her meds?

8. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,157
    Thats not the point:

1)Now apparently all religious people are insane.

2)There are a bunch of people telling everyone how they feel sorry for her. Im just like. she killed her children! They are the victims. She is the monster. But no, because libs refuse to deal with the concept of evil, she has to be sick. I mean you cant admit that there is an evil person out there. that might mean all our actions arent justified as well.

9. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Liberalism had shit to do with this ruling. This was done by a jury of 'peers' who obviously failed those little boys. I can't post anymore on this subject because I'm still so pissed about it :blowup:

10. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Well, like it or not, mental illness is a fact of life, and sometimes it does lead its sufferers to prerform acts over which they really don't have control. The woman suffered a psycchotic break and killed her children. She doesn't have to die to got to hell...She's already there.

And, the only folks I've seen having conversations with God, and boasting about it, are schizophrenics and televangelists.