June ice the lowest on record

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Average June ice extent was the lowest in the satellite data record, from 1979 to 2010. Arctic air temperatures were higher than normal, and Arctic sea ice continued to decline at a fast pace. June saw the return of the Arctic dipole anomaly, an atmospheric pressure pattern that contributed to the record sea ice loss in 2007.

Arctic Sea Ice News & Analysis

Average June ice extent was the lowest in the satellite data record, from 1979 to 2010. Arctic air temperatures were higher than normal, and Arctic sea ice continued to decline at a fast pace. June saw the return of the Arctic dipole anomaly, an atmospheric pressure pattern that contributed to the record sea ice loss in 2007.

Not in the Antarctic old boy....

Comrade, how can we use this information to redistribute American wealth?

Which is it?

Hmmm the Plot Thickens NSDIC says Ice THICKER.. By a LOT!
westwall
Today 07:09 PM
by driveby
3 19
thread_new.gif
June ice the lowest on record
Chris

You seriously want us to consider 31 years of data as significant?

The Arctic Ice is thinner than it has been in recorded history. The Antarctic Sea Ice is about the same as far as thickness goes, but is more extentsive every winter, but melts back to norm in the summer. What is significant is that the continental ice cap in antarctica is losing ice by the giga-ton, at an accelerating rate.

The Arctic Ice is thinner than it has been in recorded history. The Antarctic Sea Ice is about the same as far as thickness goes, but is more extentsive every winter, but melts back to norm in the summer. What is significant is that the continental ice cap in antarctica is losing ice by the giga-ton, at an accelerating rate.

Once again you SERIOUSLY want us to consider 31 years of data as significant?

Where'd it go?

Did it melt?

Which Pacific atolls are now underwater as a direct result?

By using alternative energy MADE IN AMERICA.

The polar ice cap has been there for a million years.

It won't be there much longer.

Does Al know?

Care to make a bet on that? You doom and gloomers crack me up. You all have been predicting the end of the world for what a thousand years now? Give it a rest.

Where'd it go?

Did it melt?

By using alternative energy MADE IN AMERICA.

Dah! Dah! Here have some vodka with me and Old Rocks! We will redistribute American wealth to these alternative energy sources.

The Arctic Ice is thinner than it has been in recorded history.
Keep posting that outright lie and I'll keep posting this...Schmuck.

The Navy requires accurate sea ice information for their operations, and has spent a lot of effort over the years studying, measuring, and operating in Arctic ice both above and below, such as they did in the ICEX 2009 exercise.

800px-USS_Annapolis_ICEX.jpg

The US Navy attack submarine USS Annapolis (SSN 760) rests in the Arctic Ocean after surfacing through three feet of ice during Ice Exercise 2009 on March 21, 2009. The two-week training exercise, which is used to test submarine operability and war-fighting capability in Arctic conditions, also involved the USS Helena (SSN 725), the University of Washington and personnel from the Navy Arctic Submarine Laboratory.

So, if you are planning on bringing a $900 million Los Angeles class submarine through the ice, as the captain might say to the analyst after receiving an ice report: “you’d better be damn sure of the ice thickness before I risk the boat and the crew”.

Below is a blink comparator of U.S. Navy PIPS sea ice forecast data, zoomed to show the primary Arctic ice zone.

pips_anim.gif

Arctic Ice Volume Has Increased 25% Since May, 2008 | Watts Up With That?

When coupled with data on the rise in GHGs, YES.

When coupled with data on the rise in GHGs, YES.

Where'd it go?

Did it melt?

It's getting there. Are you suggesting that, since it hasn't happened yet, it can't possibly be happening? I haven't died yet, but I'm reasonably certain it will happen. Your logic implies that, as long as I'm alive, I can reasonably believe I'll live forever. See what conundrums you get into when you're totally fixated on the politics of the controversy to the exclusion of the science and logic?!?!

It's getting there. Are you suggesting that, since it hasn't happened yet, it can't possibly be happening? I haven't died yet, but I'm reasonably certain it will happen. Your logic implies that, as long as I'm alive, I can reasonably believe I'll live forever. See what conundrums you get into when you're totally fixated on the politics of the controversy to the exclusion of the science and logic?!?!

If we're losing gigatons of ice every nanosecond, shouldn't there be a real measurable rise, not some statistical chart showing a probable rise, in the sea levels?

New Topics

Forum List

Back