June 6, 1944

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
On this day in 1944 the invasion to liberate Europe begins. Among the thousands of events taking place, this is the USS Corry, DD-463. She spent over an hour right at the beach firing into German positions and drawing fire away from the troops landing. She would sometimes come so close to the beach her hull would drag on the bottom. These are photos from PT-507 as shells miss her, hit her, and eventually sink her. As she settled into the shallow water a surviving crewman hoisted an American flag up her main mast sticking above the water, where it stayed during the invasion. 24 crewmen gave their all.

upload_2017-6-6_6-27-28.png
upload_2017-6-6_6-27-45.png
upload_2017-6-6_6-27-59.png
upload_2017-6-6_6-28-36.png

The USS Cory D-Day flag.
upload_2017-6-6_6-29-5.png

Last edited:
i dont think anyone really realizes the hell these men voluntarily and proudly stepped up to go into...you hear the old men talking about it....saying they didnt expect to live thru it..and how men were dying left and right...could one even fathom being on the front of the deck when it falls...and you are stepping into gun fire...they did not do this on virtual reality games...they did this in real time...

war is too impersonal now

i dont think anyone really realizes the hell these men voluntarily and proudly stepped up to go into...you hear the old men talking about it....saying they didnt expect to live thru it..and how men were dying left and right...could one even fathom being on the front of the deck when it falls...and you are stepping into gun fire...they did not do this on virtual reality games...they did this in real time...

You're pretty honored that any old men would even talk about it with you. My Dad and his friends never would. I didn't even know my Dad was on a kamikazi-d aircraft carrier in the Pacific until my son joined the Marines and Dad brought it up.
His best friend was part of the first US troops to enter Hiroshima after the Bomb.
They pretty much kept their nightmares to themselves and I guess I don't blame them.

The greatest generation....man have we let them down
Unfortunately they set the stage for the fall. They grew up in the Great Depression, went to the worst war ever, and came home and handed their kids everything they never had. Their kids never knew what it was like to earn what you have. We have been in a downward spiral ever since then.

You're pretty honored that any old men would even talk about it with you. My Dad and his friends never would. I didn't even know my Dad was on a kamikazi-d aircraft carrier in the Pacific until my son joined the Marines and Dad brought it up.
His best friend was part of the first US troops to enter Hiroshima after the Bomb.
They pretty much kept their nightmares to themselves and I guess I don't blame them.
Same here. Good friends with a number of guys who saw combat in WW2 and I would only get tidbits. But when two of them would sit together I always made it a habit to eavesdrop because they would talk among themselves.

Unfortunately they set the stage for the fall. They grew up in the Great Depression, went to the worst war ever, and came home and handed their kids everything they never had. Their kids never knew what it was like to earn what you have. We have been in a downward spiral ever since then.

I don't believe that. I do believe what is happening now is partially due to the lack of proper upbringing but not on the part of those that served in WWII.

I have very high regard for veterans but it's notched up a bit for those that went to war in WWII. They were mere kids doing a man's job and this nation should get on it's knees and thank them every day

Bullshit. My birthday present when I turned 15 was to have my work papers signed and my allowance cut off.

Bullshit. My birthday present when I turned 15 was to have my work papers signed and my allowance cut off.
Go learn what a generalization is, then come back and post.

My Dad also, CV 19. 11/25/44

Better yet learn not to generalize so much. You'd sound smarter.

Better yet learn not to generalize so much. You'd sound smarter.
Many times truth hurts.
The Greatest Generation gave us the generation that gave us the 60's. Hardly a pinnacle of civilization.

Well, if you want to get technical............
Veterans of the Sicily / Italy campaigns have always felt slighted because the June 6th invasion of France gets all of the press. While their contribution has become almost a historical footnote.

Most people don't know that Hitler pulled battle hardened SS divisions from the Russian front to kick the American's and Brit's back to North Africa, almost a year before D Day, resulting in some of the fiercest fighting of the European campaign. .... :cool:

Last edited:
I have had a job since I was 14. You are welcome, uncle sam!

You worked for Uncle Sam when you were 14?

You worked for Uncle Sam when you were 14?
you know what I meant, you little shit :p

Forum List

Back