July 1st, 1966 - A Date Which Will Live In Infamy

Contumacious

Radical Freedom
Aug 16, 2009
Adjuntas, PR , USA
Medicare becomes available on July 1, 1966, and Group Health Cooperative begins accepting older patients.

HistoryLink.org Essay 7606 : Printer-Friendly Format

On July 1, 1966, Medicare becomes available following the signing of the Medicare Act into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson. The new law begins a revolution in health care, but its compromises result in a system that institutionalizes fee-for-service care. This in turn will spur chronic increases in health-care costs, since the system, instead of controlling costs, pays physicians' "usual and customary" fees, which inevitably begin rising. Institutions with an incentive to keep down costs like Group Health Cooperative (where service is provided based on advance payments, not fee for service), are at a disadvantage. Nevertheless, Group Health advocated the reform, works to improve it, and begins accepting Medicare patients.

Medicare becomes available on July 1, 1966, and Group Health Cooperative begins accepting older patients.

On July 1, 1966, Medicare becomes available following the signing of the Medicare Act into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson. The new law begins a revolution in health care, but its compromises result in a system that institutionalizes fee-for-service care. This in turn will spur chronic increases in health-care costs, since the system, instead of controlling costs, pays physicians' "usual and customary" fees, which inevitably begin rising. Institutions with an incentive to keep down costs like Group Health Cooperative (where service is provided based on advance payments, not fee for service), are at a disadvantage. Nevertheless, Group Health advocated the reform, works to improve it, and begins accepting Medicare patients.

You right wing pea brains never consider the alternative...

AND, your "patriotism is never based on AmericANS...

Right wing solutions...great, if only human beings would just evaporate...

If ANYBODY supports "death panels" and "pulling the plug on grandma" it you right wing morons...

If ANYBODY supports "death panels" and "pulling the plug on grandma" it you right wing morons...

And your left wing parasitic brain never consider the consequences of the gubmint entering - WITHOUT CONSTITUTIONAL SUPPORT - the field of health care:

1- a government which knows no constitututional bounds

2- the destruction of government as we know it as well as healthcare

And your left wing parasitic brain never consider the consequences of the gubmint entering - WITHOUT CONSTITUTIONAL SUPPORT - the field of health care:

1- a government which knows no constitututional bounds

2- the destruction of government as we know it as well as healthcare

Here's an idea pea brain... when grandma and grandpa reach retirement age, let them work until the coroner carries them out in a body bag...BECAUSE...Without medicare, THAT would be your right wing pea brain outcome...

And let the young people wait in line for the jobs...

You right wing assholes are absolutely MINDLESS morons...

On July 1, 1966, Medicare becomes available following the signing of the Medicare Act into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson. The new law begins a revolution in health care, but its compromises result in a system that institutionalizes fee-for-service care. This in turn will spur chronic increases in health-care costs, since the system, instead of controlling costs, pays physicians' "usual and customary" fees, which inevitably begin rising. .

econgraphic3.jpg

EVERY other nation on that chart? They use higher levels of public sector involvement in their health care provision than the US does.

So if you don't like cost growth, how about we do what EVERYONE else is doing to contain it far more successfully?

Nah, crazy idea... we should do the opposite! Right? Turn the whole health insurance apparatus over completely to the private sector while slashing regulations on them... the people who make money in direct proportion to how successfully they avoid providing care to sick people and whose sole motivation is to extract the absolute maximum amount of money from each person they are servicing while they do it. Yeah, that's brilliant. It'll totally work. Costs will plummet!

On July 1, 1966, Medicare becomes available following the signing of the Medicare Act into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson. The new law begins a revolution in health care, but its compromises result in a system that institutionalizes fee-for-service care. This in turn will spur chronic increases in health-care costs, since the system, instead of controlling costs, pays physicians' "usual and customary" fees, which inevitably begin rising. .

econgraphic3.jpg

EVERY other nation on that chart? They use higher levels of public sector involvement in their health care provision than the US does.

So if you don't like cost growth, how about we do what EVERYONE else is doing to contain it far more successfully?

Nah, crazy idea... we should do the opposite! Right? Turn the whole health insurance apparatus over completely to the private sector while slashing regulations on them... the people who make money in direct proportion to how successfully they avoid providing care to sick people and whose sole motivation is to extract the absolute maximum amount of money from each person they are servicing while they do it. Yeah, that's brilliant. It'll totally work. Costs will plummet!

Excuse me Vern, see if the Obama administration will provide you with a more accurate chart.

Excuse me Vern, see if the Obama administration will provide you with a more accurate chart.

I'm sorry, did you just actually try to declare that the official economic figures from 30 different nations were all completely inaccurate because you don't like what they say?

REALLY?

Wow, you're a special kind of invincibly ignorant aren't you? You could be their mascot or something.

How about you show me the "real" numbers then? How about that? I wait in breathless anticipation.

I'm sorry, did you just actually try to declare that the official economic figures from 30 different nations were all completely inaccurate because you don't like what they say?

REALLY?

Wow, you're a special kind of invincibly ignorant aren't you? You could be their mascot or something.

How about you show me the "real" numbers then? How about that? I wait in breathless anticipation.

Again, the chart is a COMPILATION OF DATA? WHo the fuck was the compiler and waht was his/her agenda?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Again, the chart is a COMPILATION OF DATA?

OMG!!! IS IT REALLY????

WHo the fuck was the compiler and waht was his/her agenda?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Who compiled all the individual nations reported economic data into one big collection of data, or who compiled the data inside each of the individual nations?

Inside each nation, it was their governments. And the OECD collected them all together into a single handy database. And their "agenda" was TO COLLECT THE DAMN DATA so all the nations participating could analyze it and make informed economic policy decisions you genius.

Now, on what grounds exactly are you claiming it's inaccurate? Do you or do you not have the "real" accurate data to present to us? Or are you just refusing to accept that this data is accurate because it says something you don't like?

Private insurance has had it made for years, Medicare takes care of people over 65, who have the most medical problems, and they get to overcharge younger healthier people.

Private insurance has had it made for years, Medicare takes care of people over 65, who have the most medical problems, and they get to overcharge younger healthier people.

I recently started paying for health insurance for wife and son. I get mine through work. I pay about 300. 00 a month. After having for three months my wife went for a checkup. She was in ther 4 less than 20 minutes. We paid a 35.00 copay, the insurance sent us a explanation of benefits dhowing that they paid 22.00 dollars. Then we recieved a bill for an additional 15.00 dollars that the insurance company wouldn' t pay because it was over there allowed amount for a doctors visit. WHAT A GREAT SYSTEM.

Can you identify that Constitutional proviso which states:

"Congress shall have the power to provide health insurance to people over 65"

Medicare is a political scam offer by welfare state politicians in order to acquire votes from a powerful political faction.

If they really wanted to help people over 65 they would have removed the laws restricting the practice of medicine.

"Medical Control, Medical Corruption

The American Medical Association, which for almost 150 years has sought to institutionalize a rip-off and to keep sick people and their families oblivious to it. Thanks to this central committee of the medical cartel, the number of medical schools and medical students is drastically restricted, state licensure further obstructs the supply of doctors, fees are largely secret and controlled across the industry, alternative treatments and practitioners are outlawed, pharmacists and nurses are hamstrung, and the mystique of the profession rivals the priesthood, although priests have a somewhat lower income. Meanwhile, the customer pays through the nose, even if he does not go to an otolaryngologist. "

I recently started paying for health insurance for wife and son. I get mine through work. I pay about 300. 00 a month. After having for three months my wife went for a checkup. She was in ther 4 less than 20 minutes. We paid a 35.00 copay, the insurance sent us a explanation of benefits dhowing that they paid 22.00 dollars. Then we recieved a bill for an additional 15.00 dollars that the insurance company wouldn' t pay because it was over there allowed amount for a doctors visit. WHAT A GREAT SYSTEM.

Excuse me Vern, so you want a system where your neighbor and taxpayers pay the difference, right?

Forum List

Back