Judicial Watch files Open Records Lawsuits on Sanctuary Cities

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Judicial Watch, the public interest group that investigates and prosecutes government corruption, announced today that it has filed an open records lawsuit against the Pasadena Police Department (PPD), and PPD Police Chief Christopher Vicino, to obtain documents related to the department’s alleged illegal alien sanctuary policy. Chief Vicino reportedly indicated that the department prevents his officers from “asking about anybody’s legal status unless it is a matter of national security,” which may be a violation of federal immigration law. On June 4, Judicial Watch sent the PPD a request under the California Public Records Act seeking access to the following:

* Any and all records of PPD’s policies, procedures, or directives concerning, regarding, or relating to undocumented (illegal) aliens.
* Any and all records of PPD’s policies, procedures, or directives concerning, regarding or relating to contacts or communications between PPD officers or employees and federal immigration officials regarding a person’s immigration status.

Judicial Watch’s lawsuit against the PPD is part of its nationwide campaign to enforce our nation’s immigration laws. Judicial Watch has initiated legal campaigns against sanctuary policies in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, Chicago and Washington, DC, among other cities.

Judicial Watch Sues Pasadena Police Department for Records Detailing Illegal Alien Sanctuary Policy | Judicial Watch

Well if the WH wants to sue AZ for enforcing the law; then someone has to sue those that are openly defying it, right?

Good for them.

I read the article and from what is stated JW doesn't have a case. No one has forbidden anyone from sharing information with ICE, instead they merely don't ask people their immigration status.

It boggles my mind that people, namely "conservatives", are against states rights when they involve brown people.

Forcing me to prove to the cops that I'm a citizen isn't a state right.

Be careful what you pray for - the FEDS do have that right and they will start to enforce it! Especially if the SB1070 Bill is deemend unconstitutional. BTW, it's not forcing you to prove that you're a citizen, it's checking to see that you are here LEGALLY.

It is in CA.

Below is a copy of section 834b of the California Penal Code that deals with immigration law enforcement at the local level.

(a) Every law enforcement agency in California shall fully cooperate with the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service regarding any person who is arrested if he or she is suspected of being present in the United States in violation of federal immigration laws. (b) With respect to any such person who is arrested, and suspected of being present in the United States in violation of federal immigration laws, every law enforcement agency shall do the following: (1) Attempt to verify the legal status of such person as a citizen of the United States, an alien lawfully admitted as a permanent resident, an alien lawfully admitted for a temporary period of time or as an alien who is present in the United States in violation of immigration laws. The verification process may include, but shall not be limited to, questioning the person regarding his or her date and place of birth, and entry into the United States, and demanding documentation to indicate his or her legal status
Calif. penal code pertaining to immigration similar to Ariz.'s SB 1070 - Washington Times

If a state doesn't have a right to pass a law in regards to immigration then a state doesn't have that right.

This applies to Arizona and to any states who allow sanctuary cities.

Of corse if your viewing it from a political ideology then only arizona has the right to enforce it or only the other states have the right to ignore it......then of corse your a hypocrite but whatever.

It is in CA.

Below is a copy of section 834b of the California Penal Code that deals with immigration law enforcement at the local level.

(a) Every law enforcement agency in California shall fully cooperate with the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service regarding any person who is arrested if he or she is suspected of being present in the United States in violation of federal immigration laws. (b) With respect to any such person who is arrested, and suspected of being present in the United States in violation of federal immigration laws, every law enforcement agency shall do the following: (1) Attempt to verify the legal status of such person as a citizen of the United States, an alien lawfully admitted as a permanent resident, an alien lawfully admitted for a temporary period of time or as an alien who is present in the United States in violation of immigration laws. The verification process may include, but shall not be limited to, questioning the person regarding his or her date and place of birth, and entry into the United States, and demanding documentation to indicate his or her legal status
Calif. penal code pertaining to immigration similar to Ariz.'s SB 1070 - Washington Times
Key words: If arrested...reported to ICE.

Also, the Arizona law makes it a criminal state offense...it is in no way the same thing as California is doing. A state is not within its rights to have the police make me prove my citizenship simply because they've pulled me over for a traffic infraction.

If a state doesn't have a right to pass a law in regards to immigration then a state doesn't have that right.

This applies to Arizona and to any states who allow sanctuary cities.

Of corse if your viewing it from a political ideology then only arizona has the right to enforce it or only the other states have the right to ignore it......then of corse your a hypocrite but whatever.
No state has passed a law allowing sanctuary cities. Some cities merely don't question people's immigration status as it is not and nor should it be required by federal law.

Secure Communities is ICE's comprehensive strategy to improve and modernize the identification and removal of criminal aliens from the United States. It helps ICE transform criminal alien immigration enforcement agency wide, while satisfying a congressional mandate to increase information sharing between federal agencies.
Secure Communities

You know, I find the whole Arizona debate almost sad to this point, on the one side you have people who in my opinion not even bothered to read the legislation and have led others to believe that the legislation is an attempt by Arizona to usurp power from the Federal Govt. When the same Federal Govt. keeps records on Illegal immigrants criminal and otherwise and YES shares that information with local law enforcement. The sad fact is this is a human issue and one that our Federal Govt. has ignored for years, on both sides of the Isle, one side because they see these poor people as potential votes, and the other as a source of cheap labor. SB-1070 almost mirrors Federal law and does not in any manner surpass it, in fact, it makes clear that an officer engaged in racial profiling of any sort will be punished for it. So that leaves, the illusion of those that wish open borders and and wish the drug trade to continue unabated where, the cargo is human beings, who sometimes pay with their lives, rather than actually addressing the hard issues about immigration need to be addressed. So these cities that openly call themselves places for those themselves safe havens for those that violate Federal Law, and yes, illegal immigration is breaking the law are IMHO doing nothing but supporting those same scum that would profit off the pain and suffering of poor people who wish nothing more than to make better lives for themselves.

Well now that the portion of SB-1070 that requires you prove citizenship has been stayed yet another argument on SB-1070 is mute. I'm frankly surprised that the same people who seem to be upset over this, are not upset over ICE "Secure Communites " program. So please do continue to support people who traffic in human beings, drugs and murder along the border rather than advocate for laws that actually end all this once and for all.

Last edited:

It is in CA.

Also, the Arizona law makes it a criminal state offense...it is in no way the same thing as California is doing. A state is not within its rights to have the police make me prove my citizenship simply because they've pulled me over for a traffic infraction.

Let's just say that maybe Pasadena isn't asking that question "when arrested". My crystal ball says Judicial Watch will find out.

I read the article and from what is stated JW doesn't have a case. No one has forbidden anyone from sharing information with ICE, instead they merely don't ask people their immigration status.

It boggles my mind that people, namely "conservatives", are against states rights when they involve brown people.

they seem to be against ALL rights when it comes to brown people....

unless the brown people hate other brown people.

Let me see if I understand this correctly , to advocate having a secure border and strict enforcement of laws as well as a system by which people who wish to immigrate to the United States can do so in a manner that is easy and and as fast as possible is advocating for some sort of racial profiling. Perhaps then to advocate for not having these things given the current environment using that logic would then be to advocate for drug cartels, car bombs, murder, the traffic in human beings, job loss of american citizens, and the endless number of issues caused by unchecked illegal immigration. Frankly if the issue of immigration is such an issue with some people as to Arizona trying to enforce the law that the Federal Govt. refuses too, then where is the anger when a someone on a Federal warrant for bilking millions from innocent people is arrested by local law enforcement. If anyone really was concerned about the plight of peoples that have to walk across the desert heat and pay scum to get here , and sometimes die for it, then they would advocate for laws to end it and the enforcement of it.

It is in CA.

A travel infraction? Like driving without a license or using a stolen one? Here in NJ, you can serve up to 60 days in jail. AZ does not provide licenses to illegals, so in the case of a a "travel infraction" asking for documentation is not only legal; it is necessary. Lotsa drunks without licenses ya know?

Well now that the portion of SB-1070 that requires you prove citizenship has been stayed yet another argument on SB-1070 is mute. I'm frankly surprised that the same people who seem to be upset over this, are not upset over ICE "Secure Communites " program. So please do continue to support people who traffic in human beings, drugs and murder along the border rather than advocate for laws that actually end all this once and for all.
I don't particularly like the Secure Communities program, it has a few flaws. But it is up to the states to decide if they want to participate.

And no one is supporting people that traffic in humans, drugs or murder.

:cuckoo:

Let's just say that maybe Pasadena isn't asking that question "when arrested". My crystal ball says Judicial Watch will find out.
It is a state issue in California's case. They are the ones that are requiring the city to verify the citizenship of those arrested. Unless Judicial Watch is a California group it is none of their concern.

they seem to be against ALL rights when it comes to brown people....

unless the brown people hate other brown people.
That's certainly the message that comes across.

Forum List

Back