judicial filibuster=anti-christian???

S

SmarterThanYou

NYtimes article
As the Senate heads toward a showdown over the rules governing judicial confirmations, Senator Bill Frist, the majority leader, has agreed to join a handful of prominent Christian conservatives in a telecast portraying Democrats as "against people of faith" for blocking President Bush's nominees. Fliers for the telecast, organized by the Family Research Council and scheduled to originate at a Kentucky megachurch the evening of April 24, call the day "Justice Sunday" and depict a young man holding a Bible in one hand and a gavel in the other. The flier does not name participants, but under the heading "the filibuster against people of faith," it reads: "The filibuster was once abused to protect racial bias, and it is now being used against people of faith."

Organizers say they hope to reach more than a million people by distributing the telecast to churches around the country, over the Internet and over Christian television and radio networks and stations.

Dr. Frist's spokesman said the senator's speech in the telecast would reflect his previous remarks on judicial appointments. In the past he has consistently balanced a determination "not to yield" on the president's nominees with appeals to the Democrats for compromise. He has distanced himself from the statements of others like the House majority leader, Tom DeLay, who have attacked the courts, saying they are too liberal, "run amok" or are hostile to Christianity.

The telecast, however, will put Dr. Frist in a very different context. Asked about Dr. Frist's participation in an event describing the filibuster "as against people of faith," his spokesman, Bob Stevenson, did not answer the question directly.

"Senator Frist is doing everything he can to ensure judicial nominees are treated fairly and that every senator has the opportunity to give the president their advice and consent through an up or down vote," Mr. Stevenson said, adding, "He has spoken to groups all across the nation to press that point, and as long as a minority of Democrats continue to block a vote, he will continue to do so."

Some of the nation's most influential evangelical Protestants are participating in the teleconference in Louisville, including Dr. James C. Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family; Chuck Colson, the born-again Watergate figure and founder of Prison Fellowship Ministries; and Dr. Al Mohler, president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.

The telecast also signals an escalation of the campaign for the rule change by Christian conservatives who see the current court battle as the climax of a 30-year culture war, a chance to reverse decades of legal decisions about abortion, religion in public life, gay rights and marriage.

"As the liberal, anti-Christian dogma of the left has been repudiated in almost every recent election, the courts have become the last great bastion for liberalism," Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council and organizer of the telecast, wrote in a message on the group's Web site. "For years activist courts, aided by liberal interest groups like the A.C.L.U., have been quietly working under the veil of the judiciary, like thieves in the night, to rob us of our Christian heritage and our religious freedoms."

Democrats accused Dr. Frist of exploiting religious faith for political ends by joining the telecast. "No party has a monopoly on faith, and for Senator Frist to participate in this kind of telecast just throws more oil on the partisan flames," said Senator Charles E. Schumer, Democrat of New York.

But Mr. Perkins stood by the characterization of Democrats as hostile to faith. "What they have done is, they have targeted people for reasons of their faith or moral position," he said, referring to Democratic criticisms of nominees over their views of cases about abortion rights or public religious expressions.

"The issue of the judiciary is really something that has been veiled by this 'judicial mystique' so our folks don't really understand it, but they are beginning to connect the dots," Mr. Perkins said in an interview, reciting a string of court decisions about prayer or displays of religion.

"They were all brought about by the courts," he said.

its no damn wonder anymore that I consider the current string of loudmouth republican politicians a huge nuisance.

SmarterThanYou said:
(quote shortened by moderator (Merlin1047) to avoid excessive length of post)
its no damn wonder anymore that I consider the current string of loudmouth republican politicians a huge nuisance.

A politician who is doing what some people want him to do is a nuisance?

"The issue of the judiciary is really something that has been veiled by this 'judicial mystique' so our folks don't really understand it, but they are beginning to connect the dots," Mr. Perkins said in an interview, reciting a string of court decisions about prayer or displays of religion.

"They were all brought about by the courts," he said.

I think after Terri Schiavo was murdered before our very eyes through the CHOICE of the courts a LOT of people are now connecting the dots.

dilloduck said:
A politician who is doing what some people want him to do is a nuisance?
dillo, this is pure political spin and rhetoric. you know this. It's a blatant attempt to justify his actions based on the persecution of those who believe religion has no place in government.

ScreamingEagle said:
I think after Terri Schiavo was murdered before our very eyes through the CHOICE of the courts a LOT of people are now connecting the dots.
still in denial are you?

ScreamingEagle said:
Since it's a nuisance, I'll pray for you. :halo:
please do, I could use all I can get. :laugh:

ScreamingEagle said:

Murdered??????????????????????????????????????

SmarterThanYou said:
"As the liberal, anti-Christian dogma of the left has been repudiated in almost every recent election, the courts have become the last great bastion for liberalism," Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council and organizer of the telecast, wrote in a message on the group's Web site. "For years activist courts, aided by liberal interest groups like the A.C.L.U., have been quietly working under the veil of the judiciary, like thieves in the night, to rob us of our Christian heritage and our religious freedoms."

My, oh my - how ever could anyone arrive at a conclusion like that?

musicman said:
My, oh my - how ever could anyone arrive at a conclusion like that?
first off, you're attributing part of the article to me, not that author of the article. :poke:

second off, I'm thinking tony perkins better check for holes in his foil beanie. :laugh:

SmarterThanYou said:
first off, you're attributing part of the article to me, not that author of the article.

Actually, no. Lifted directly from the article you posted, and in quotes, yet.

If board protocol - or your personal preference, for that matter - indicate some other method of citation, let me know, and that's what I'll try to do. I assure you, any errors I make in this regard are of omission rather than deliberate attempts to misrepresent. I just assume anyone following a given thread would understand that something cited from your post is not necessarily your statement. All they gotta do is go back and read.

musicman said:
Actually, no. Lifted directly from the article you posted, and in quotes, yet.

If board protocol - or your personal preference, for that matter - indicate some other method of citation, let me know, and that's what I'll try to do. I assure you, any errors I make in this regard are of omission rather than deliberate attempts to misrepresent. I just assume anyone following a given thread would understand that something cited from your post is not necessarily your statement. All they gotta do is go back and read.
eh, no biggie, wasn't trying to be harsh or anything. :beer:

OCA said:
Murdered??????????????????????????????????????

One Websters definition for murder: to kill inhumanely or barbarously
I believe death by dehydration/starvation falls into that category.

Of course, we can't claim she was killed unlawfully (the typical definition of murder) because her death was premeditated and executed by our legal system. It was the court's CHOICE to do away with her. Just like when the courts gave everybody the CHOICE to murder unborn children if they don't want them. Just as some courts allow the CHOICE for gay marriage. The majority of Americans who also happen to be Christian believe these things are despicable. But the judges rule...

The only way the Democrat Left has gotten away with foisting its agenda upon the general public has been mainly through their stacking the courts with liberal activist judges for the past 40 years. Moral outrage is spreading across America and the Left knows that the court system is its last bastion of power. That is why the Left is attacking Christianity or like accuses Senator Frist of "exploiting religious faith". We are in a cultural war. It's why the "nuclear option" should be exercised - simply meaning that judges get either an up or down vote instead of being hung-up forever with the Democrats desperate filiblustering. They know a vote will allow conservative judges to get into the liberal court system. The liberal activist judges are all the real power they got left.

It seems that the context is that Dem Senators are stalling the confirmation of Christian justices. While it's not a tactic that would get me particularly riled up, it's good politics, IMO.

ScreamingEagle said:
One Websters definition for murder: to kill inhumanely or barbarously
I believe death by dehydration/starvation falls into that category.

Of course, we can't claim she was killed unlawfully (the typical definition of murder) because her death was premeditated and executed by our legal system. It was the court's CHOICE to do away with her. Just like when the courts gave everybody the CHOICE to murder unborn children if they don't want them. Just as some courts allow the CHOICE for gay marriage. The majority of Americans who also happen to be Christian believe these things are despicable. But the judges rule...

The only way the Democrat Left has gotten away with foisting its agenda upon the general public has been mainly through their stacking the courts with liberal activist judges for the past 40 years. Moral outrage is spreading across America and the Left knows that the court system is its last bastion of power. That is why the Left is attacking Christianity or like accuses Senator Frist of "exploiting religious faith". We are in a cultural war. It's why the "nuclear option" should be exercised - simply meaning that judges get either an up or down vote instead of being hung-up forever with the Democrats desperate filiblustering. They know a vote will allow conservative judges to get into the liberal court system. The liberal activist judges are all the real power they got left.

I thought of something last night....if Bush and right to lifers felt so strongly about this one women's life what about the genocide in Darfur? Is it because they are not Americans?

Anyway us conservatives did the same shit to Bubba Clinton's nominess, this is all payback. This is how politics is played here in the good'ol USA. Pretty ain't it?

OCA said:
Anyway us conservatives did the same shit to Bubba Clinton's nominess, this is all payback. This is how politics is played here in the good'ol USA. Pretty ain't it?

True, but I don't think it's tit-for-tat or spite at play. This is a life-and-death ideological struggle.

gop_jeff said:
It seems that the context is that Dem Senators are stalling the confirmation of Christian justices. While it's not a tactic that would get me particularly riled up, it's good politics, IMO.

It depends. They may find that they're putting themselves at cross-puposes with the will of the American electorate, in which case it wouldn't be good politics at all. Then again, they may have no other option; their ideology can die now, or it can die later.

Forum List

Back