Judiaism

One of the most interesting things that I've noticed is the Jewish cultural imperative towards education and professionalism. I was amazed when I met my two very young Jewish nephews - they wanted to be a lawyer and a doctor. One's now working in finance in Manhatten and the other is graduating John Hopkins very soon (Plastic surgeon).

When I was young I was raised in an (Irish) tradition of hard work and service. I didn't know what a lawyer was, and if there was some incentive to becoming a doctor it was to be a saintly person that cured people, not for the wealth. Wealth doesn't matter to most Irish guys until we're old enough to understand women:eusa_whistle:

Beyond the religious imperative to give to charity, I don't find any tendancy among the Jewish people that I've know to have any sense of service or respect for hard work (craftsmanship or labor). They're attitude towards labor is so arrogant. Though I have to admit, I'd turn to a Jewish professional for any services before I'd patronize anyone else.

Maybe they're so focused on being a great provider for their families that they don't realize that their seeming obsession with wealth, without any other consideration for other values, combined with the idea of them considering themselves to be the "Chosen People", makes a very poor impression on a lot of other people.

First off, the Jews are G-d's "Chosen People", not because of what THEY did, nor were they chosen for any other reason, other than the fact that Abraham had heard Him, and was tested when G-d told him to sacrifice his son. Main reason that G-d did that was He wanted to make sure that Abraham knew who he was speaking to. Because of the faith of Abraham, G-d told him that He would bless his bloodline and all his future generations. Oh yeah....one of the reasons that G-d did that was because He spent a lot of time walking with Abraham. Matter of fact, it states in the Bible that Abraham walked before G-d.

As far as Jews not contributing to charity? Might want to check on that again, because there are several mitzvoht that they have, one of which states that if they plant a field, they have to leave a small corner for the poor to be able to come and harvest enough to eat. I think it's called the olmert.

If you're interested in checking out this stuff, the site that I would recommend is one called Universal Torah Network (google it). Sam Peak is a REALLY good teacher that explains things in a way that Christians can understand it, and Rabbi Richman and his wife also have some pretty darn good things that they put up there too. Most programs are only 1/2 hour long, on the web, and new shows come out every week. Check it out, you may learn a lot.

i thought it meant, "he, who struggles with God'', though the meaning somewhat the same as fights with God...

also, i realize that it was a covenent with the Jews, but weren't they chosen to be the keeper of the Word of God, or keepers of the Torah?

Care

That is part of the covenant, but that still does not imply favoritism. In fact, there is a midrash (parable) that explains why and how God actually did end up "Chosing" us instead of another group of people.

I wonder if the Canaanites we busy wondering about that jewish "burden" while being massacred for their land...

The massacre of the Caananites is my least favorite part of the Torah. I hate that we took the land of Israel in such a repulsive way.

God would have been disappointed if the human He chose to pick an argument with caved in immediately. If God had wanted an easy target He would have waited a while. Then He could have picked on the nearest Republican :D

That is a cheap shot! And funny, too.

One of the most interesting things that I've noticed is the Jewish cultural imperative towards education and professionalism. I was amazed when I met my two very young Jewish nephews - they wanted to be a lawyer and a doctor. One's now working in finance in Manhatten and the other is graduating John Hopkins very soon (Plastic surgeon).

When I was young I was raised in an (Irish) tradition of hard work and service. I didn't know what a lawyer was, and if there was some incentive to becoming a doctor it was to be a saintly person that cured people, not for the wealth. Wealth doesn't matter to most Irish guys until we're old enough to understand women:eusa_whistle:

Beyond the religious imperative to give to charity, I don't find any tendancy among the Jewish people that I've know to have any sense of service or respect for hard work (craftsmanship or labor). They're attitude towards labor is so arrogant. Though I have to admit, I'd turn to a Jewish professional for any services before I'd patronize anyone else.

Maybe they're so focused on being a great provider for their families that they don't realize that their seeming obsession with wealth, without any other consideration for other values, combined with the idea of them considering themselves to be the "Chosen People", makes a very poor impression on a lot of other people.

We value the enrichment of the mind far above the toils of the body.

You liked it being donated to them by Great Britian/UN better ?

That decision was predicated on ancestral right facilitated by the genocide of the ancient Caananites. Israel is wonderful. I know because I spent a summer there. But I think it is unconscionable for us to parade like we are some great moral authorities when it is so abhorrent the way we took over Israel in the first place.

To answer your question, yes. I am a Jew, and I want that land. We do have more right to it than the Muslims, and we actually treat the land better than they did. However, our right to the land is tainted.

That decision was predicated on ancestral right facilitated by the genocide of the ancient Caananites. Israel is wonderful. I know because I spent a summer there. But I think it is unconscionable for us to parade like we are some great moral authorities when it is so abhorrent the way we took over Israel in the first place.

To answer your question, yes. I am a Jew, and I want that land. We do have more right to it than the Muslims, and we actually treat the land better than they did. However, our right to the land is tainted.

Don't feel too bad about it, it's how things are. I mean look at Britain (Roman Britain). The Romans marched in there and took over after giving the poor old ancient Britons a right biffing. Then they Romanised it. No, I'm not going to link to Monty Python's "Life of Brian" segment with the, "What have the Romans ever done for us?" because they basically took a small island that was heavily forested and populated by folks who were, shall we say, challenged as far as civilisation goes, and made it civilised. Good roads, nice towns, baths, reticulated hot and cold water, nice warm floors for those nasty British winters and the like. And then when Rome was under threat from the barbarian hordes the Romans shot through and left a "Vacant" sign on the door so that the Angles, the Saxons and the Jutes (never forget the Jutes) moved in and basically slummed the neighbourhood.

But that's what human history is about. Takeovers.

Don't feel too bad about it, it's how things are. I mean look at Britain (Roman Britain). The Romans marched in there and took over after giving the poor old ancient Britons a right biffing. Then they Romanised it. No, I'm not going to link to Monty Python's "Life of Brian" segment with the, "What have the Romans ever done for us?" because they basically took a small island that was heavily forested and populated by folks who were, shall we say, challenged as far as civilisation goes, and made it civilised. Good roads, nice towns, baths, reticulated hot and cold water, nice warm floors for those nasty British winters and the like. And then when Rome was under threat from the barbarian hordes the Romans shot through and left a "Vacant" sign on the door so that the Angles, the Saxons and the Jutes (never forget the Jutes) moved in and basically slummed the neighbourhood.

Jews are supposed to be inherently morally better than everybody else. Israel should be a sacrament, not a massacre.

Well, I suppose I could quibble with your history, but you conclusion is spot on.

"But that's what human history is about. Takeovers"

Damned right it is.​

There are damned few places int he world one can point to where the people and culture living there now, didn't come to that land and take it away from another people or culture.​

Iceland, perhaps may be the only land I can think of that isn't a land drenched in blood.​

A land so centrally located like Isreal has seen culture after culture, people after people take it over, and then lose it to some other people or culture.​

1948 just happened to be the last time this has happened, and as we can all see, the dust has yet to settle from that takeover.​

This fact is at least one of the reasons that the communists (the real ones not the authoritarians hiding behind that political philosophy to justify their theft, I mean) say that:​

PROPERTY IS THEFT

Last edited:
Having once owned a carpet cleaning company in Boston, one which serviced Boston's largest slumlords -- those three guys who owned the largest and most notorious collections of student slums in Boston -- I sort of came to the conclusion that the covenent meant that the Jews must be the keepers of the the real estate located at Mediteranian and Baltic Avenues.

Nice guys, they were, but seriously bad landlords.

Not sure that's much an indicator. They're called Mexicans in San Antonio and I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I've never met a Mexican Jew.:lol:

Forum List

Back