Judges order Justice Department to clarify following Obama remarks on health law case

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
The Big O may have ran his mouth a bit too far this time.

A federal appeals court is striking back after President Obama cautioned the Supreme Court against overturning the health care overhaul and warned that such an act would be "unprecedented."

A three-judge panel for the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals on Tuesday ordered the Justice Department to explain by Thursday whether the administration believes judges have the power to strike down a federal law.

A source inside the courtroom, who did not want to be identified, confirmed the incident to Fox News. The testy exchange played out during a hearing over a separate challenge to the health care law. It was apparent, however, that the justice who questioned the government attorney present was referring to Obama's recent comments about the Supreme Court's review of that law.

The source said the justice, Judge Jerry Smith, was pointed in his questioning of the government attorney, asking whether Attorney General Eric Holder believes judges can strike down federal laws.

Smith then ordered a response from the department within 48 hours. The related letter from the court, obtained by Fox News, instructed the Justice Department to provide an explanation of "no less than three pages, single spaced" by noon on Thursday.

All three judges on the panel are Republican appointees.

The Justice Department had no comment when asked about the exchange.

Read more: Judges Order Justice Department To Clarify Obama Remarks On Health Law Case | Fox News

The Big O may have ran his mouth a bit too far this time.

A federal appeals court is striking back after President Obama cautioned the Supreme Court against overturning the health care overhaul and warned that such an act would be "unprecedented."

A three-judge panel for the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals on Tuesday ordered the Justice Department to explain by Thursday whether the administration believes judges have the power to strike down a federal law.

A source inside the courtroom, who did not want to be identified, confirmed the incident to Fox News. The testy exchange played out during a hearing over a separate challenge to the health care law. It was apparent, however, that the justice who questioned the government attorney present was referring to Obama's recent comments about the Supreme Court's review of that law.

The source said the justice, Judge Jerry Smith, was pointed in his questioning of the government attorney, asking whether Attorney General Eric Holder believes judges can strike down federal laws.

Smith then ordered a response from the department within 48 hours. The related letter from the court, obtained by Fox News, instructed the Justice Department to provide an explanation of "no less than three pages, single spaced" by noon on Thursday.

All three judges on the panel are Republican appointees.

The Justice Department had no comment when asked about the exchange.

Read more: Judges Order Justice Department To Clarify Obama Remarks On Health Law Case | Fox News

Yep, the Court did not react with approval at the President's mouthing off. :eusa_clap:

And they can't do anything about what he said. All they are doing is proving his point.

And they can't do anything about what he said. All they are doing is proving his point.

The President should not have spoken about a pending case; no, there is nothing the Court CAN DO.

Obama wins no matter what the court decides. Either he gets Obamacare or he gets the base so energized that he wins in a landslide and gets single payer in the next term.

The President should not have spoken about a pending case; no, there is nothing the Court CAN DO.

Obama wins no matter what the court decides. Either he gets Obamacare or he gets the base so energized that he wins in a landslide and gets single payer in the next term.

I tend to agree but giving the wolves ANY meat just makes 'em hungrier.

Uh, wrong. Either he gets Obamacare and we see how stupid and idiotic it is, or it is struck down and we see how stupid and idiotic it was. Either way a huge loss.
Frankly having seen reporting of the quesitoning there is no way they will uphold the mandate. The only question is whether the libs on the court will engage in real judicial activism and rewrite the law from the bench.

Doesn't matter I suppose one way or another if the USA becomes commie or not, either way America is still fucked. You all will still be stuck with one huge growing amount of debt that's going to just keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger regardless.

I've been thinking on skipping out on whatever my fair share of that national debt may be (sorry, I haven't been keeping track of what Obama thinks I owe him, I don't really give a fuck you know). I think I'll leave my fair share for you all to pay, LOL! I want too retire to some nice nation where the people are still free, as opposed to being essentially collateral on government debt and slaves for their spending. Chumps. Ha haha LOL! Obama is going to enslave you all.

We'll decide in early November. Never would I have believed so many fools would have wanted to be like cuba and north korea. Whacked. Disgusting. Traitors.

:lol::lol::lol:

There is zero chance of single payer getting passed. ZERO. And the striking down of ObamaCare, a law the most people didn't want in the first place, will not push him over the finish line, but hey, I don't want to ruin your fantasy for you, so please continue.

Forum List

Back